The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

6 hours ago, CubanSkies Dummy said:

Is "State Of Grace" a Tobias song?

I remember reading on (The War Room?) in mid 2019 (just before the leaks) that one user has seen a band playing "Going Down" back in 1998. Maybe it's just a old Tommy song?

I believe it might be.

I think it was written solely by an ex-member and therefore abandoned when that member left - but it's only a guess.  Don't include it as factual on one of your lists.

2 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Well, I don't contest the idea that it could be unfinished. The fact that he said "will inevitably become Soul Monster" hinted there might still be some work to do on it. I just think there's good evidence that at least parts of the song are finished.

Pathetic isn't it?

A song from nearly 25 years ago, that seemingly went from being called 'Me and My Elvis', to 'Elvis Presley and the Monster of Soul', to 'Leave Me Alone' (according to Sweersa), to 'Soul Monster' likely remains unfinished.

Edited by Pele
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Pele said:

And yet here we are.

Yeah, let's hope that mystery gets solved one day.

State of Grace is such a mystery too.  Why did he seemingly give up on this?

Well I still stand by the hope that he didnt give up on that track or the rest of them and there actually is a ChiDem sequel waiting to see the light ... I'm still a believer in the planned trilogy and I do believe that the ChiDem we got ended up not being a part 1 but an amalgamation of what was supposed to be a trilogy for reasons obviously unknown to us 

6 hours ago, El Guapo said:

I listened to SOG again yesterday. It's just some mediocre ideas that are going nowhere, there's not a good song in there. Imo.

It was a good melody and the music is very interesting. I feel like other than an obvious need for a proper vocal take the song lacks a strong chorus but other than that would make for a good song

9 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Well I still stand by the hope that he didnt give up on that track or the rest of them and there actually is a ChiDem sequel waiting to see the light ... I'm still a believer in the planned trilogy and I do believe that the ChiDem we got ended up not being a part 1 but an amalgamation of what was supposed to be a trilogy for reasons obviously unknown to us 

Yes. I believe that the actual "Chinese Democracy" we got in 2008 was a "taken off Axl's hands without his permission" situation.

Catcher was supposed to be on CD2 or 3. It was always a 13-track album.

I've posted many times the alternate tracklist that has appeared in Best Buy and where "Lies They Tell" and "Stardust" were official titles yet.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Pele said:

And yet here we are.

Yeah, let's hope that mystery gets solved one day.

State of Grace is such a mystery too.  Why did he seemingly give up on this?

Why would you think he gave up on it? I think the more likely scenario is he had a rough idea of what he wanted to do but hadn't finished the lyrics and then when he asked for the tracks to show prospective producers this was just where that song stood at that time. Could very easily have been finished, could also have decided to shelve it if he wasn't into anymore. I keep saying it, but it would be a great pity if that song never sees an official release, I always think of it as The Garden part II...musically not lyrically

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Why would you think he gave up on it? 

Because otherwise he would be wrong :lol:

I don't think Axl would go to the length of writing a song (together with whomever it was), write lyrics, record an early vocals take, and then abandon the song. Hopefully, and likely, it was one of the songs intended for the next record and one of the songs Slash has now worked on. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

It was a good melody and the music is very interesting. I feel like other than an obvious need for a proper vocal take the song lacks a strong chorus but other than that would make for a good song

I agree.  Song has a few interesting ideas, cool verse groove, but, the chorus is a bit flat.  Obviously, based on existing evidence.  Might not even sound like the same song right now, for all we know.

Hope to find out someday.

55 minutes ago, CubanSkies Dummy said:

Yes. I believe that the actual "Chinese Democracy" we got in 2008 was a "taken off Axl's hands without his permission" situation.

Catcher was supposed to be on CD2 or 3. It was always a 13-track album.

I've posted many times the alternate tracklist that has appeared in Best Buy and where "Lies They Tell" and "Stardust" were official titles yet.

Which would explain his disappearance and refusal to promote and delay of touring ... I seriously doubt that was the result of simply marketing disputes

33 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Why would you think he gave up on it? I think the more likely scenario is he had a rough idea of what he wanted to do but hadn't finished the lyrics and then when he asked for the tracks to show prospective producers this was just where that song stood at that time. Could very easily have been finished, could also have decided to shelve it if he wasn't into anymore. I keep saying it, but it would be a great pity if that song never sees an official release, I always think of it as The Garden part II...musically not lyrically

Honestly don't know.

I think it's a good song - and knowing what we know, the bulk of usable songs he actually had at his disposal ranged from average to poor so it's a real mystery why they didn't develop this one for the album, and why it never appeared on the alleged tracklist for the following album.

I believe (without any evidence) it to be one of the following:

• It was written entirely by someone who left (Paul maybe?)
  • It was reworked into The General (some believe this - I don't really hear it)

Maybe he just didn't like it - but for someone whose small batch of songs includes Silkworms, Catcher, Scraped, Riad, Atlas Shrugged, If the World, Shacklers Revenge, OMG etc, he really needed all he could get his hands on!

1 hour ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I hope you're right.

I think in 98, with a healthy, hungry, creative, productive band - with a bunch of new songs completed and instrumentals being developed every day, a trilogy was the plan, with the follow ups being a bit more experimental.

I just don't think he had it in him.

It's clear now he was miles away.  He had under 20 songs, and outside of the occasional piece of brilliance, the majority were mediocre to downright terrible.

• Wow 1

3 minutes ago, Pele said:

I hope you're right.

I think in 98, with a healthy, hungry, creative, productive band - with a bunch of new songs completed and instrumentals being developed every day, a trilogy was the plan, with the follow ups being a bit more experimental.

I just don't think he had it in him.

It's clear now he was miles away.  He had under 20 songs, and outside of the occasional piece of brilliance, the majority were mediocre to downright terrible.

Well I have to disagree with you on your opinion of the ChiDems tracks because I don't find any of them mediocre especially not terrible .. ChiDem is my favorite album of all time and I think it's a masterpiece through and through .. Just my opinion though

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Which would explain his disappearance and refusal to promote and delay of touring ... I seriously doubt that was the result of simply marketing disputes

Yes, that was the tracklisting in march 2008:

untitled-5.jpg

TOTAL LOSS wrote:

The track list was shifted and revised just prior to release. Truth be told, the album as intended was:

1. Chinese Democracy
2. Riad
3. Shackler's Revenge
4. Stardust
5. If The World
6. Better
7. This I Love
8. There Was A Time
9. The Lies They Tell
10. Sorry
11. I.R.S.
12. Madagascar
13. Prostitute

*Catcher In The Rye was not going to be included.

1 minute ago, CubanSkies Dummy said:

Yes, that was the tracklisting in march 2008:

untitled-5.jpg

TOTAL LOSS wrote:

The track list was shifted and revised just prior to release. Truth be told, the album as intended was:

1. Chinese Democracy
2. Riad
3. Shackler's Revenge
4. Stardust
5. If The World
6. Better
7. This I Love
8. There Was A Time
9. The Lies They Tell
10. Sorry
11. I.R.S.
12. Madagascar
13. Prostitute

*Catcher In The Rye was not going to be included.

Which is likely an error considering the tracklist in the official book, as well as the hand and grenade alternate versions.