The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

5 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

It’s just hard for me to accept that a band who claims to be creative doesn’t actually create much.

Do they claim to be creative? Well, they have said they are going to release more individual songs, and that is likely to happen. Not sure what the disjunct is. 

• Like 1

I don't think any of this would bother me if the band wouldn't pretend like new music was a possibility. A band like Kiss, they are at least honest about being more of a touring/nostalgia act. The band always has this "well, we might release new music. who knows?" tone to them instead of saying "nope. nothing is coming". And things may be coming now so their sentiments might be legitimate (only time will tell), so that frustration might just apply to 2011-2019. 

The thing with GN'R is that Axl hasn't given up on wanting to create new music, so he can't pull a Billy Joel and say "I don't feel I have anything to say artistically anymore, so I'll go on with my career as a performer only". He still wants to make and release music, but he doesn't get there, and it's hard to figure out the exact reasons for that. It could be that he can't find his muse as he'd like to, or that he wants to get "CD 2" out of his chest first before he tries to do something new, or that he wasn't interested in new ideas presented to him (especially by the last "nu" lineup), or a combination of all of this plus insecurity and being slow in completing a project.

Of course that makes it a lot more frustrating for the fans, but it is what it is.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Why shouldn't they pretend new music is a possibility when they allegedly plan to release more music! 

I did say in my post those sentiments may only apply to 2011-2019, and that something new may still happen. Throughout 2011-2018 at a bare minimum I don't really think new music was on anyone's mind at all.

In China Exchange, in addition to what he said about the CD era material (paraphrasing: that he had played it for Slash and Duff and wanted to release it, but, again, "soon was not the word"), he also said that he was glad he hadn't written anything last year (=2015) because he felt he would be "stronger" in writing the next time he would be on to it. I wonder if that means that he tried to write more lyrics or complete some songs in 2014-15 but wasn't happy with the result, and that's why he postponed releasing new music until Slash and Duff worked on it.

15 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

The last time he wrote an actual song must have been 20 years ago or more. Him putting out utter garbage like Absmurf and Hard School and actually performing that trash on stage as "new material" is undeniable proof of him running on empty artistically for decades.

I hate to say it but mostly agree with you here lol

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

The last time he wrote an actual song must have been 20 years ago or more. Him putting out utter garbage like Absmurf and Hard School and actually performing that trash on stage as "new material" is undeniable proof of him running on empty artistically for decades.

A lot of people love those songs, so there goes that theory.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

In China Exchange, in addition to what he said about the CD era material (paraphrasing: that he had played it for Slash and Duff and wanted to release it, but, again, "soon was not the word"), he also said that he was glad he hadn't written anything last year (=2015) because he felt he would be "stronger" in writing the next time he would be on to it. I wonder if that means that he tried to write more lyrics or complete some songs in 2014-15 but wasn't happy with the result, and that's why he postponed releasing new music until Slash and Duff worked on it.

Pretty sure he also implied that whether anything released or not was based on whether Slash and Duff wanted to work on the stuff he already had played them. Very much doubt he's done any writing since that interview if I'm honest.

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Do they claim to be creative? Well, they have said they are going to release more individual songs, and that is likely to happen. Not sure what the disjunct is. 

Yes, they do. The mountains of songs that Axl has said are coming. CD2. The stupid remix album. Slash's comments that new "old" songs are coming.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

He still wants to make and release music, but he doesn't get there, and it's hard to figure out the exact reasons for that.

Of course, no one but Axl can know the exact reasons for that. But I have a theory: he *doesn't* want to make any new music. He's releasing the few songs that are Slash-able in his vault as a promotional method for touring. For what it's worth, he does seem to genuinely enjoy performing.

But man, some of you are just so ready to believe any bullshit you have to believe in order to give yourselves hope that this band still gives a fuck.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, EvanG said:

A lot of people love those songs, so there goes that theory.

I don't believe Absurd and Hard Skool are pure garbage, so I don't agree with the poster there. They're, at best, on the low end of mid-tier Guns tracks, but that's not the worst thing in the world.

Where I do agree with the poster, though, is that Axl's out of steam, creatively. I don't buy this concept that there is a linear order he just has to put music out in, and he coincidentally is releasing the songs with known vocals first. The fact is, he's releasing what he has down with vocals because that's all he's got and he's not interested in doing anything else.

My sad thought is that Axl, Slash, and Duff will likely never write a new song together again. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Axl Rose never writes anything new again.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Of course, no one but Axl can know the exact reasons for that. But I have a theory: he *doesn't* want to make any new music. He's releasing the few songs that are Slash-able in his vault as a promotional method for touring. For what it's worth, he does seem to genuinely enjoy performing.

Bingo

1 minute ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Where I do agree with the poster, though, is that Axl's out of steam, creatively. I don't buy this concept that there is a linear order he just has to put music out in, and he coincidentally is releasing the songs with known vocals first. The fact is, he's releasing what he has down with vocals because that's all he's got and he's not interested in doing anything else.

My sad thought is that Axl, Slash, and Duff will likely never write a new song together again. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Axl Rose never writes anything new again.

I have honestly no idea, and I'm surprised others can be so convinced about something that they can't know about either.
I was reading an interview with one of my favourite songwriters Daniel Johns the other day. He hasn't released a lot of music in the last 15 years either and he talked about how much music he had written in that time period, he just wasn't ready to release it. I am not saying this applies to Axl as well, I'm saying I don't know and no one on here can know. Just because he's not releasing anything, doesn't mean he's not writing anything.

25 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

But man, some of you are just so ready to believe any bullshit you have to believe in order to give yourselves hope that this band still gives a fuck.

But there isn't any evidence that he doesn't want to make new music. On the contrary, we have his statements that he does want to. And I don't think that Axl would have a problem to outright say that he wasn't interested in creating new music (if that was the case) out of fear of displeasing a small portion of the fanbase (since GN'R doesn't need that portion of fans to sell tickets) or just to fool the hardcore fans.

In one of his interviews in 1995, Slash said that Axl genuinely wanted to do things, but he didn't because he didn't feel he was in the right mindset or that the timing was right or whatever. And that has probably been the situation with Axl for many years.

Edited by Blackstar

2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

It's amazing really that it looks like they'll see out 2022 without even one more song. 

It's got to be likely Slash has done his bits and anything they've got is ready to go and they're just rotting on the floor like everything else. 

Imagine having a band that people care enough about to give you a sustained career and continually doing that? It sometimes staggers me, even after all these years, what an absolute waste of opportunity GNR have been for so long. 

Shite management, insane lead singer, pussy band members and general public no longer giving a fuck = current sad sorry state of GnR in 2022

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Why shouldn't they pretend new music is a possibility when they allegedly plan to release more music! 

Because in 14 years they've released 2 22 year old songs for fucks sake! I know you are trying to play devils advocate but i'm starting to think you are jarmo! There is no excuse for the shitshow this band is when it comes to releasing music. Fact. End of. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I wonder if that means that he tried to write more lyrics or complete some songs in 2014-15 but wasn't happy with the result, and that's why he postponed releasing new music until Slash and Duff worked on it.

Part of me wonders if that's why the Dj Bumble era ended. He maybe just realized I cant write with these folks, and I cant write for them as they are not holding up there end.

15 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Because in 14 years they've released 2 22 year old songs for fucks sake! I know you are trying to play devils advocate but i'm starting to think you are jarmo! There is no excuse for the shitshow this band is when it comes to releasing music. Fact. End of. 

We are not making any excuses (not that that is our job anyway) but pointing out that it is only natural that they will pretend new music is a possibility when they have stated new music is the plan. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Yes, they do. The mountains of songs that Axl has said are coming. CD2. The stupid remix album. Slash's comments that new "old" songs are coming.

So you equate being creative with releasing music and they did that last year, so what are you complaining about?

I am a bit more careful and would never claim they have stated they are creative (because, you know, they haven't), just that they have said they have worked on unreleased old song intended for release, and two came out last year,so it seems they told the truth. 

But yeah, I suppose some people will complain about they not being creative despite having claimed they would be (not really) and despite them evidently having reworked old songs and so far released two of them. Funny. 

25 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Shite management, insane lead singer, pussy band members and general public no longer giving a fuck = current sad sorry state of GnR in 2022

A shit load better state of affairs than in most other years since 2008 :lol:

Guess how happy I am you weren't around to complain in those years!