The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

4 hours ago, Sweersa said:

In addition to that, the drums from the Village mix are amazing. (I assume Josh's work) I like the intro too, and solos.

An ideal version of Hard Skool to me would be exactly the same mix as the Village version from 2000, with Duff (or Tommy's) bass guitar higher in the mix, and the second part of Slash's solo added, and the extended vocals the released version had, though I could do without the Eye On You snippets. I'm sure they could extend Josh or Brain's drums to fit the slightly re-worked song without rerecording those with Frank. :)

This. A good producer 'ear' would have sharpened up that track to be 10 times the banger it is in its current form. 

36 minutes ago, Gaanzer said:

This. A good producer 'ear' would have sharpened up that track to be 10 times the banger it is in its current form. 

We can bitch about the production and producer all we want, but there is no way that it was not released exactly the way Axl Rose wants it to sound. And that's where this line ends.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

13 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

We can bitch about the production and producer all we want, but there is no way that it was not released exactly the way Axl Rose wants it to sound. And that's where this line ends.

I actually doubt Axl had anything to do with the final production of the last two songs. Really just gave me the impression he handed the keys to Duff, Slash, and just let whoever run with it.

13 hours ago, reayj2003 said:

This is obviously subjective as to my “listening pleasure” Absurd & Hardskool production sounds much better than Chinese. 

Music production is an interesting thing, because it is both objective and subjective. Like, a great example is nobody would argue Never Mind The Bollocks is actually a well produced album. It’s muddy, muffled, distorted, you name it. But it has a charm, it has an identity, and you can enjoy it for that. I think very, very few people would try to argue that Absurd, and especially Hard Skool are actually well produced. But that doesn’t mean you can’t like them. 

6 hours ago, gavgnr said:

I’d be up for a separate thread about Spotify. Can we call it Gavgnr’s Spotify Incident @Powerage5 😂

On that topic, not sure if it means anything but (here in the UK) only the general, soul monster, perhaps and ‘cuban s’ brings up GnR without any separate reference to HardSkool or Absurd. Both atlas and SOG do also bring up reference to those two singles released last year 

I was of two minds on starting a new thread. We just discussed it in our mod chat and we agree it’s probably right to put it into a separate thread - and I see @Blackstarbeat me to it :lol: 

Going forward let’s try to keep the Spotify discussion in the Spotify thread - it has totally overrun this one to the point that any other discussion is just buried. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Music production is an interesting thing, because it is both objective and subjective. Like, a great example is nobody would argue Never Mind The Bollocks is actually a well produced album. It’s muddy, muffled, distorted, you name it. But it has a charm, it has an identity, and you can enjoy it for that. I think very, very few people would try to argue that Absurd, and especially Hard Skool are actually well produced. But that doesn’t mean you can’t like them. 

I was of two minds on starting a new thread. We just discussed it in our mod chat and we agree it’s probably right to put it into a separate thread - and I see @Blackstarbeat me to it :lol: 

Going forward let’s try to keep the Spotify discussion in the Spotify thread - it has totally overrun this one to the point that any other discussion is just buried. 

Now we won't hit 1k pages here this year! :lol:

• ABSUЯD 1

24 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I actually doubt Axl had anything to do with the final production of the last two songs. Really just gave me the impression he handed the keys to Duff, Slash, and just let whoever run with it.

Sorry but lmao, how on earth would you be able to get an "impression" of inner workings when we know absolutely fuck all?

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

1 minute ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Sorry but lmao, how on earth would you be able to get an "impression" of inner workings when we know absolutely fuck all?

Because Axl "the perfectionist" Rose who sat on these songs for decades and was so concerned about dozens and dozens of layers on each CD track was cool with letting them go as sloppy and crude mixes. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Because Axl "the perfectionist" Rose who sat on these songs for decades and was so concerned about dozens and dozens of layers on each CD track was cool with letting them go as sloppy and crude mixes. 

But Slash and Duff are happy with "sloppy and crude mixes"? Makes no sense. Axl had to approve everything on both Absurd and HS before they were finished and thinking otherwise is just inane lol.

6 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Yea, for a guy who described CD as made for audiophiles and released the most dynamic mix he could, he really did a 180 with Absurd and Hardschool. CD doesn't sound perfect, but it sounds better than those singles.

Maybe it was too difficult to properly mix Slash and Duffs 2020 recordings with Brains 2000 drums and Richards 2002 guitar parts or whatever. Or maybe he thinks that's what 'modern rock' songs are supposed to sound like. :shrugs:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

But..but..but, my glory has been taken away!! 😭😭🤣🤣

4 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I thought the mix on Slash's new album was really bad personally, so yes, I don't think Slash has a good reputation recently for sound mastering. 

One of my favorite things on CD was distinguishing layers and hearing little melodies here or there that sometimes I missed. CD definitely isn't perfect but had a distinct sound that always had me coming back to the album. I still love Absurd and Hard Skool but they definitely are lacking that dynamic sound CD had.

So instead of what I said you're saying Axl didn't listen to Slashs shitty mix, and had to have been surprised when he heard how shit it was after it came out? Please elaborate this becaue I'm dying laughing

5 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

So instead of what I said you're saying Axl didn't listen to Slashs shitty mix, and had to have been surprised when he heard how shit it was after it came out? Please elaborate this becaue I'm dying laughing

I don't think Axl was surprised because I don't think he gives a shit. When has Axl proven he cares about new music post 2008? A photo posted to Twitter of him and Chris Pitman in the studio in 2015 that led to an album that got scrapped? I think any new songs that have come out are seriously just "here's the tracks, do whatever you want with them" to Slash and Duff.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I don't think Axl was surprised because I don't think he gives a shit. When has Axl proven he cares about new music post 2008? A photo posted to Twitter of him and Chris Pitman in the studio in 2015 that led to an album that got scrapped? I think any new songs that have come out are seriously just "here's the tracks, do whatever you want with them" to Slash and Duff.

In the China Exchange he said he wanted to put out more music 

1 hour ago, Powerage5 said:

The Pistols' album is a great example of production serving the tone / message / concept. Bollocks is one helluva nicely produced record. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alejandro GNR said:

In the China Exchange he said he wanted to put out more music 

Talk is cheap. The facts are there were 13 years in between Chinese Democracy and the Hard Skool "EP". Which I don't think would've materialized without Slash and Duff, since they have more weight than anyone else who's come and gone, and if we ever do get new material, I bet is also due to them. Axl himself has not appeared to really care about putting out new music himself since CD came out, and he hasn't done anything to change that opinion to this day, as more songs "planned to come out" get delayed into oblivion. 

The production suffers because you have major parts rewritten over vocals that were recorded & already needlessly tinkered with over 20 years ago. Those takes go with pretty much a completely different song. It’s going to be disjointing at its core. There’s only so much you can do production wise to make it sound cohesive on top of that base. Then you are also trying to get Slash/Duff to stand out with their own sound. The mastering is something different all together 

Ideally, these reworked songs should have been completely redone. Rehearsed, banged out over a few weeks and recorded from the drums up. However, since Guns is now footing the bill under their own label, they are going cheap. That’s on top of the task of trying to get Axl to lay down vocals 

Edited by guitarpatch
  • Like 3