Would you take a NITL 'selects' Live Album with the tracks that have been released so far?

6 minutes ago, t-p-d-a said:

Can you really count on it when Fernando says there will be a live album at the end of the year? I have my doubts how serious he is. Is this a serious announcement?

Well - it’s not a press release kind of announcement but it’s confirmed to be him on Reddit and he was pretty clear it was happening. If it doesn’t then it’s just another stick to beat him with for saying something is happening and then nothing.

On 01/09/2020 at 3:06 AM, KeyserSoze said:

I know the NITL selects have been a hot topic since their inception.. seems like we go longer and longer between video releases.

So, I'm here to pose this question: As a fan, and one who wants to see this band succeed and still keep their name relevant after all these years, would you guys take a "Live" Album of all the songs that have been released?

Yes, I understand Houston is an extreamly popular show and everyone seems to love it, especially after this passed weekends video, but I think Variety is better and more fun. It would keep in line with the "Live Era" compilations. We could get "Live Era: 2016-2019" Right now, then maybe a "2001-2014" (or split it up by era: 2001-2003, 2006-2007, 2009-2014 etc etc) down the road as a vault or even record store day release. Thats what I would do as this band right here and now. 

I think we have all come to the agreed decision that the Youtube videos aren't mixed properly at all. If this band can dish out the cash and take the full multitracks from the soundboard and give them to a producer who can mix them properly, and add that extra bit of pop that makes live albums worth enjoying (crowd noise between songs etc etc) 

The time for picking and choosing this show or that show is over, go to another thread for that. All I'm asking is would you pay out of your own pocket if GNR decided to drop something like this: 

Your looking at a 2 disc digipack based on the songs we've already gotten in the same order as your basic nightly setlist: 

DISC 1:

1. It's So Easy (Salt Lake City 2019)

2. Chinese Democracy (Salt Lake City 2019)

3. Slither (Download 2018) 

4. Double Talkin' Jive (Salt Lake City 2019) 

5. Rocket Queen (Download 2018)

6. You Could Be Mine (Download 2018)

7. [You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory] Attitiude (Download 2018)

8. New Rose (Mexico City 2016)

9. This I Love (Mexico City 2016)

10. Coma (Houston 2016)

DISC 2: 

1. Sweet Child o' Mine (Download 2018)

2. Out Ta Get Me (Houston 2016)

3. My Michelle (Mexico City 2016)

4. November Rain (Mexico City 2016)

?

?

?

**GNR should be able to get the mechanical licenses to cover those songs, as they have in the past, but if there is a problem they may have to sub out the cover songs. 

You also may have to add SCOM to the first disc if theres room just so theres more hits. 

So what do you think? If GNR was to have AMAZING promotion, time, and a nice set of merch that isn't overly priced and isn't the typical run of the mill stuff they have been doing for years, I think this live album could do as well as Metallica's S&M 2 venture..."we did this 20 years ago, but we are improving" Same sort of thing GNR would be doing with this live era disc... the material is obviously there.. 

And if you are going to be one of those people thats like "its all on Youtube, whats the point?"  1 million views on a couple videos does nothing for your career... I don't expect something like this to sell huge numbers, but something over 30k for a live album would be awesome

As for the selects..

3 months till the next one? I guess we will see.. 

Would love to see a full length live release from the reunion. A '2016-2020 Live Era' would be awesome, especially picking performances from all over the world (would be cool to let as many people as possible see their show represented).

Ideally we'd get a spread of the best performances and interviews/documentary on the NITL tour. Wrap it all up in various tiers of package (Vinyl, tshirt etc) and it'd be a nice way to cap off the era. 

Pick heavily from the best shows from 2016-17 and then pick the best performances of the songs introduced after that (SOYL, Locomotive, Dead Horse etc).

As for potential commercial performance I'm sure it would do pretty well (at least respectively). 'Appetite for Democracy' went to number 1 on the Billboard Music Video sales chart. So no reason this wouldn't have an audience in some form. The mix on that show was great so would like to hear that approach done for a future release.

6 minutes ago, blackrose87 said:

No. For the main reason that Axl for the most part sounded pretty poor during the NITL tour.

However it prob sounds about right for something the band would do.

2016-mid 2017 there are plenty of great performances. After that, if you want to represent the later legs then you would need to pick the staples - ISE, DTJ etc which are consistent throughout.

On 01/09/2020 at 8:51 PM, diegodasilva23 said:

A live album with the songs from the Selects? No, I wouldn’t take it. Only the last Selects was good and still had mixing problems. But I would enjoy if they would put the songs from the last Selects (You Can’t Put Your Arms Around a Memory (Intro)/New Rose, My Michelle, Coma, This I Love, Out Ta Get Me and November Rain) in a live album, as long as they were very well mixed.

Hey man - what happened to the third part of the Houston Plan??

29 minutes ago, diegodasilva23 said:

I don’t know too. I posted it yesterday, but it disappeared. Apparently it was deleted, but I’m going to post it again later. Do you want me to send you by pm before?

No - it’s cool, I’ll keep an eye out for it. Odd it was deleted!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

2016-mid 2017 there are plenty of great performances. After that, if you want to represent the later legs then you would need to pick the staples - ISE, DTJ etc which are consistent throughout.

It's just such a lazy move  if it were to happen. Speaking for myself (not sure how others feel) I don't need to hear specially selected live tracks (if that is what would happen) of Jungle, Paradise city SCoM etc. They've been done to death and they are out there readily available in many different live and session formats (including with this current band). And as I said originally with the vocals being hit n miss it would make the exercise pretty lousy also.

Thinking about it further something like a live album is also wasted resources that could otherwise go into something with original music.

18 minutes ago, blackrose87 said:

It's just such a lazy move  if it were to happen. Speaking for myself (not sure how others feel) I don't need to hear specially selected live tracks (if that is what would happen) of Jungle, Paradise city SCoM etc. They've been done to death and they are out there readily available in many different live and session formats (including with this current band). And as I said originally with the vocals being hit n miss it would make the exercise pretty lousy also.

Thinking about it further something like a live album is also wasted resources that could otherwise go into something with original music.

Folk like having a ‘document of the tour’. Most bands do it.......I know GNR ain’t most bands right enough! 😂

I get the point re wasted resources but they really SHOULD be able to do both particularly during lockdown from both a time and money perspective.

Live albums don’t float everyone’s boat too I guess.

Edited by DTJ80

On 01/09/2020 at 4:29 PM, DTJ80 said:

With the Apollo, Forum, Selects, IEMS out there we could probably create our own when you think about it.  There are some clever folk on here who could do stuff like levelling out volumes so they all are as loud as each other etc amongst all the other technical stuff way over my head...!

And there are some cool artists who could do a nice cover.

Id rather give some cash to an official product (3rd biggest tour of all time deserves to have something - and Fernando has confirmed something is coming from his year......) but in failing that - a custom effort would absolutely do.

Further to doing a fan version, @Rodri99 has a cool thread for sources shows that following is out there:-

1) Troubadour, West Hollywood, CA, USA (04.01.2016) (Only "Sweet child o' mine")

2) Empire Polo Grounds, Indio, CA, USA (04.16.2016) (Only "Welcome to the Jungle", "Knoockin' on heaven's Door"  and "November rain") (only soundboard of "Nightrain")

3) Apollo Theater, New York, NY, USA (07.20.2017) (Only Soundboard)

4) Parque Olímpico, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (09.23.2017)

5) The Forum, Inglewood, CA, USA (11.29.2017) (Only Soundboard)

6) Donington Park, Castle Donington, England (06.09.2018) (30 minutes, part of the "Not In This Lifetime Selects", Official youtube release) ("It's so easy" and "Welcome to the Jungle" released apart)

7) Vivint Smart Home Arena, Salt Lake City, UT, USA (10.29.2019) (Only "It's so easy", "Chinese Democracy" and "Double talkin' Jive") ("Not In This Lifetime Selects", Official youtube release)

8) American Airlines Arena, Miami, FL, USA (01.31.2020) (Only "Sweet child o' mine")

And that’s not including IEMs or extremely high quality audience recordings. On that - what are the best 2016 audience boots??

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Huh? You said "No, I haven't listen to the last live album they put out.  Still in it's wrapper." 

Are we talking some sort of live bootleg here then? I'm confused. 

Probably referring to the official live era album where Axl apparently re-recorded a lot of the vocals.