A year of lockdowns and no new GnR music...?

Are you trying to tell me, while we were all doing Lockdowns (Concert postponements)... Guns n Roses couldn't produce any new music?!!!

All we've heard from Slash, Duff and Fortus is that there is potentially a pile of new music to develop & produce. Its been a year of lockdowns... where is the music?

If Axl would spend more time on new music & less time on eating and pontificating on politics (which he clueless), maybe we would have new music. 

I get it if the concerts were for the money, I'm a business guy, I'm all about the money. The band is getting old and they can secure themselves and their families for rest of their lives, financially, with concert money.

Face it Guns n Roses has become another oldies band, though a very good/great one. I saw them in Vegas 2011, and it is worth every dollar to see them live.

Edited by Insanity_Crusher
Misspell
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

• Insanity_Crusher changed the title to A year of lockdowns and no new GnR music...?

They are probably sat on piles of cash not giving a fuck. Even if they were going to write music, what would a group of multi-millionaires in their late fifties have to say? Aprat from There Was A Time, Axl hasn't written any decent lyrics since the UYI days; the majority of CD was self indulgent, vague and lazy lyrically. Take If The World as an example, where he actually sings "now there's nothing left to say"... They sound like words of a man on the hook to deliver an album after losing interest in it's content years earlier. 

Granted, Slash can still churn out a decent riff, but I doubt he has another SCOM or WTTJ or even a Slither up his sleeve at this stage. Even less chance of a solo matching the standards of that era. Axl will continue doing shows until he is a falsetto whisper, Slash will continue releasing music as SMKC where he doesn't have to live up to his previous standards and the vague comments about new music will continue until someone dies.

I would love to be proved wrong!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoundOfAGun said:

They are probably sat on piles of cash not giving a fuck. Even if they were going to write music, what would a group of multi-millionaires in their late fifties have to say? Aprat from There Was A Time, Axl hasn't written any decent lyrics since the UYI days; the majority of CD was self indulgent, vague and lazy lyrically. Take If The World as an example, where he actually sings "now there's nothing left to say"... They sound like words of a man on the hook to deliver an album after losing interest in it's content years earlier. 

Granted, Slash can still churn out a decent riff, but I doubt he has another SCOM or WTTJ or even a Slither up his sleeve at this stage. Even less chance of a solo matching the standards of that era. Axl will continue doing shows until he is a falsetto whisper, Slash will continue releasing music as SMKC where he doesn't have to live up to his previous standards and the vague comments about new music will continue until someone dies.

I would love to be proved wrong!

Well said

What would a group of multi-millionaires have to say? You could use that same argument for similar bands who still deliver. Metallica for example, or a guy like Mike Patton. He gives us multiple projects with new music. Lyrics don't always have to be biographical. Axl could write a full album of songs about relationships or whatever. Personally I would think a solo project with his favorite songs from people like Elton John would already be awesome. I already have a title for him: Axl Does Elton. Just him and a piano in all it's rawness. Or some surprising duets: Axl & Lana Del Rey, or Axl & Miley or Axl & ... ahhh anyway, I will dream on.

Edited by Feibo
  • Like 3

Labels don't want big releases right now, so in the unlikely event gnr have an album ready it would be held back to the tail end of this year. If it's not end of this year or at least starting to happen with single roll outs etc. it's not finished and likely won't be finished for years to come.

Don't expect it, just get on with listening to other great music. Thinking about gnrs legacy being pissed away does no good, although it would be great if the controlling members of gnr thought about it for a while.

The next release is obviously going to be the $1000 UYI anniversary boxset. Then probably the NITL live album Fernando promised on Reddit.

That will probably take us close to 2028 when we'll hopefully get a lavish Chinese Democracy boxset.

I'd be amazed if a brand new GNR album will get slotted in somewhere between now and 2028.

Move on :lol:  :axl:  :slash:

• Haha 1

Ah, great, another thread about the frustration of the band doing nothing! File alongside all the others......

Lockdown has absolutely nothing to do with it all though. If Covid had never happened, we'd be in exactly the same place, but they'd have played more shows. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Ah, great, another thread about the frustration of the band doing nothing! File alongside all the others......

Lockdown has absolutely nothing to do with it all though. If Covid had never happened, we'd be in exactly the same place, but they'd have played more shows. 

Yep. Anytime they actually have time for making a record they always end up packing in concert dates instead., they just need to hunker down and say to their crew we're going to be off tour for about a year, start looking for a side job. I think there's a little bit of "we need to take care of our crew" and then the other side is that making records is hard, lots of pressure to get it right and touring is so!! easy. It's like getting out of bed when your rooms freezing Axl is just resistant to it. If Slash was in charge he'd just go for it, maybe the album would be a stinker, maybe it'd be great but he'd have a constant flow of music. If we could blend 70% of Slash's ambition / work ethic with 30% of Axls meticulous nature then we'd be quids in... unfortunately it's not an option. Duff needs to pull the thumb out and glue this thing together.

I wonder should we start a pool? I'm betting Nov 2022.... for an update😋  

While we were waiting for Chinese Democracy, once in a blue moon, there would be leaked music, or a cryptic comment from a band member. We got one world tour in 2008. 

Nothing has changed. Leading us on then delivering close absolutely nothing is what Guns N' Roses have done for 25 years. They'll dangle a carrot such as the Greatest Hits release or whatever, to bring in new fans and engage the older ones.

The only thing that has changed is that we're 100% sure who is in the band now. We got our semi-reunion. 

We've all heard the excuses about Axl's creative perfectionism. But professionals deliver. 
The last thing this band will do is actually announce they've quit. But if they were working, we'd get new music. 

Just now, Tom2112 said:

Yep. Anytime they actually have time for making a record they always end up packing in concert dates instead., they just need to hunker down and say to their crew we're going to be off tour for about a year, start looking for a side job. I think there's a little bit of "we need to take care of our crew" and then the other side is that making records is hard, lots of pressure to get it right and touring is so!! easy. It's like getting out of bed when your rooms freezing Axl is just resistant to it. If Slash was in charge he'd just go for it, maybe the album would be a stinker, maybe it'd be great but he'd have a constant flow of music. If we could blend 70% of Slash's ambition / work ethic with 30% of Axls meticulous nature then we'd be quids in... unfortunately it's not an option. Duff needs to pull the thumb out and glue this thing together.

I wonder should we start a pool? I'm betting Nov 2022.... for an update😋  

Absolutely. I think there's probably a LOT of pressure to tour too. When they're playing shows a lot of people are making money out of the band, one way or the other. If they're not touring.....no-one is. And if they went into a studio, which they could be in a long time, the cash-cow revenue streams ends for a lot of people. I think there will be a big push to ignore anything and everything that isn't touring. 

Having said that though, touring the same stuff forever will be diminishing returns. It already is really, looking especially at the poor US ticket sales where even the very small front pits aren't sold out. That may well push them into being forced to do something- but that something is quite likely to be an 'intimate' tour, with astronimical ticket prices to make up the difference. But that's finite too. 

If there as a betting pool I'm not sure I'd even hazard a guess! As time goes by I think we're less and less likely to hear anything, bar some reissues. 

You really want re-recorded CD II songs with vocals that were done 20 yrs ago? If anything happens, it will most likely be that 

Any release would be used simply to help sell concert tickets to keep getting that guaranteed fee. That’s simply where they are in their careers.  New music isn’t the focus. The focus is to play large venues for big checks. New music is simply some gasoline for the touring engine. They won’t release anything until the tank starts to look empty 

1 minute ago, guitarpatch said:

You really want re-recorded CD II songs with vocals that were done 20 yrs ago? If anything happens, it will most likely be that 

Any release would be used simply to help sell concert tickets to keep getting that guaranteed fee. That’s simply where they are in their careers.  New music isn’t the focus. The focus is to play large venues for big checks. New music is simply some gasoline for the touring engine. They won’t release anything until the tank starts to look empty 

Exactly this. Also, NITL GnR is likely to end up where NuGNR eventually did: Vegas.

I can easily see them eventually becoming a Vegas act (again).

1 minute ago, guitarpatch said:

Rose in his vocal pomp? Yes. I've no issue with how old any of the instrumentation is or isn't, it's new to me and vocals on Chinese were already 10 years old on some of the tracks by the time of it's release. When I thought Axl was fucked in 2013/14 and lost a big part of his vox, the saving grace was that any new material would be from a period which I describe him as being at the top of his game. That said, we know he's been recording vocals post Chinese, even up til 2019, so who knows what we eventually will get.

• Like 1

Just now, guitarpatch said:

Yeah, I'd take that for sure! Would it be such a terrible prospect? 

2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Exactly this. Also, NITL GnR is likely to end up where NuGNR eventually did: Vegas.

I can easily see them eventually becoming a Vegas act (again).

They might do a residency, but it'll be  by choice. They'll always able to pull a decent arena size crowd, even in America. All they need to do is manage themselves and not play all year round every year. 

3 hours ago, Dean said:

Rose in his vocal pomp? Yes. I've no issue with how old any of the instrumentation is or isn't, it's new to me and vocals on Chinese were already 10 years old on some of the tracks by the time of it's release. When I thought Axl was fucked in 2013/14 and lost a big part of his vox, the saving grace was that any new material would be from a period which I describe him as being at the top of his game. That said, we know he's been recording vocals post Chinese, even up til 2019, so who knows what we eventually will get.

How do we know he’s been recording vocals from 2009-2019 (outside of Rock The Rock, of course)? What evidence do we have for that?

12 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

How do we know he’s been recording vocals from 2009-2019 (outside of Rock The Rock, of course)? What evidence do we have for that?

Fernando on Reddit, 4tus' Guitar School from December '14/early '15 and what Fernando told Rick.

Edited by Dean

13 minutes ago, Dean said:

Fernando on Reddit, 4tus' Guitar School from December '14/early '15 and what Fernando told Rick.

No disrespect, but Fernando and 4tus are not exactly the best sources when it comes to new music 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SAU3R said:

No disrespect, but Fernando and 4tus are not exactly the best sources when it comes to new music 

Updates on the release of new music, maybe so, but I'd guess that the bands manager and guitarist would be fairly credible sources when it comes to if Axl's been laying down vocals or not.

1 minute ago, rocknroll41 said:

What did Fernando tell Rick?

I'm going off the top of my head, but it was something along the lines of that he, along with the rest who chipped in, didn't need to pay so much money to get the Locker discs as Axl had just finished his vocals the week prior to their conversation. It's out there on one of the podcasts he's done.

• Haha 1