Are we gonna get SOD on this tour?

No songs on CD are about Slash. Maybe the odd line. Most songs are clearly just broken hearted love songs, most likely about stephanie seymour. Pretty sure it was described that way by several people close to the band. And even then, lots of the lyrics seem random and more to fit the song rather than really personally. Unless Axl is in the closet and wants to shag Slash, then SoD is not about Slash. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JimiRose said:

No songs on CD are about Slash. Maybe the odd line. Most songs are clearly just broken hearted love songs, most likely about stephanie seymour. Pretty sure it was described that way by several people close to the band. And even then, lots of the lyrics seem random and more to fit the song rather than really personally. Unless Axl is in the closet and wants to shag Slash, then SoD is not about Slash. 

This has always been baffling to me. 

SOD was always the song I felt was the most like a UYI track - especially the original arrangement of it back in '01/'02 with the intro containing a rockier section with a very Slash-esque part.  I would dig hearing Slash on it however would be scared as to how 2021 Axl would sound on it

• Like 1

I always felt this song could have been an absolute monster and a top 5 Guns N' Roses song. The Rio version was awesome. 

When I heard the final album version I was crushed, most of the magic is gone here, imo. I really don't like the vocals and the overall feel is just not there. Too bad.

16 hours ago, El Guapo said:

I always felt this song could have been an absolute monster and a top 5 Guns N' Roses song. The Rio version was awesome. 

When I heard the final album version I was crushed, most of the magic is gone here, imo. I really don't like the vocals and the overall feel is just not there. Too bad.

Agree with all this. My definitive version is with josh from locker leaks. The keyboard sounds, in my mind, adds to the early vision of electronic/industrial sound. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

On 8/7/2021 at 11:26 PM, RussTCB said:

They'll never play that song with Slash in the band since it's directly about him. 

I was just listening to hard school and it really seems like that one could be about Slash too. What are your thoughts? The part “ I would’ve thought you would be more of a man, but you had to do it your way...had to throw it all away” that line makes me think it’s not about Stephanie. It could also just be about old guns in general? 

5 minutes ago, mikeman5150 said:

I was just listening to hard school and it really seems like that one could be about Slash too. What are your thoughts? The part “ I would’ve thought you would be more of a man, but you had to do it your way...had to throw it all away” that line makes me think it’s not about Stephanie. It could also just be about old guns in general? 

The only song I've ever thought was about Slash is The Blues, but who knows honestly. Any number of one off lines could be directed Slashs way for all I know. 

Let's put on our tinfoil hats.

"All the love in the world couldn't save you, all the innocence inside" - Obviously a reference to Axl believing that Slash's soul died after his near fatal OD

"You know I tried so hard to make you, oh tried to make you change your mind" - Slash forming Snakepit was truly a tragic breaking point in Axl and Slash's comraderie, resulting in Slash "cheating" on GN'R, something Axl sees regretablly upon.

"I don't know just what I should do, everywhere I go I see you

You know it's what you planned, this much is true

What I thought was beautiful, don't live inside of you anymore" - Honestly this actually seems like a genuine perspective from Axl viewing his broken friendship with Slash.

Last, but not least.

"The Blues"

Slash is heavily blues-inspired.

Coincidence....?

15 hours ago, goldentobacco said:

Let's put on our tinfoil hats.

"All the love in the world couldn't save you, all the innocence inside" - Obviously a reference to Axl believing that Slash's soul died after his near fatal OD

"You know I tried so hard to make you, oh tried to make you change your mind" - Slash forming Snakepit was truly a tragic breaking point in Axl and Slash's comraderie, resulting in Slash "cheating" on GN'R, something Axl sees regretablly upon.

"I don't know just what I should do, everywhere I go I see you

You know it's what you planned, this much is true

What I thought was beautiful, don't live inside of you anymore" - Honestly this actually seems like a genuine perspective from Axl viewing his broken friendship with Slash.

Last, but not least.

"The Blues"

Slash is heavily blues-inspired.

Coincidence....?

No tin foil hat needed. Those points are pretty valid IMO. 

The time I realized the song was about Slash was when I really thought about this section:

"What this means to me is more than I know you believe

What I thought of you now, has cost more than it should for me

What I thought was true before were lies I couldn't see

What I thought was beautiful is only memories" 

I could go on and on about how that section alone is obviously about Slash. After I realized that, I went back and dug into the rest of the lyrics and was like "holy shit, not only is this about Slash, but this is WAY more serious to Axl then many people realize" 

• Like 1