Are we gonna get SOD on this tour?

6 hours ago, RussTCB said:

They'll never play that song with Slash in the band since it's directly about him. 

I don't understand this logic. I too believe SoD is the "Slash Song" on CD, but why shouldn't they play it now? It's been a long time, things change and the song is still a good song.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, lilacmess said:

I don't understand this logic. I too believe SoD is the "Slash Song" on CD, but why shouldn't they play it now? It's been a long time, things change and the song is still a good song.

This is all just my total guess but I feel like all of that would be way too personal for Axl to sing about Slash with Slash standing right there. 

4 hours ago, drlaban said:

I hope it doesn't mean it's worse than for example Scraped or Riad.

Not necessarily worse, but the album itself already had too many ballads and atlas already sounds too much like CITR, so one of them had to go probably.

4 hours ago, drlaban said:

I hope it doesn't mean it's worse than for example Scraped or Riad.

Double post. My bad!

Edited by rocknroll41

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

There’s also a rumor that HardSkool is about Izzy, more so than Slash.

I would guess this is more  just an opinion (like all other opinions on lyrics interpretation) than a rumor.

To me HS is clearly about Slash - one of the very few songs that it's very clear what/who they are about, because it's too straightforward. And they'll play it, because it doesn't matter.

• Like 1

I never got how this song is about Slash. The lyrics sound so much more like they are directed towards a woman.

Riad sounds soooo much more like it's about Slash and Duff. The opening line alone "... had a plan and thought they'd win but I don't give a fuck 'bout them ..."

1 minute ago, jamillos said:

Whereas Sorry and HS? I mean, Axl's chat: "I was told to shut up and sing". Sorry, literally: "Just shut up and sing". 

The quote is this:

Axl: ...That was denied and I didn’t walk till several months after having 3 to 4 hour phone conversations nearly every day with Slash trying to reach a compromise. I was specifically told no lyrics, no melodies, no changes to anything and to sing what I was told or fuck off.

Not exactly the same.

Just now, Blackstar said:

The quote is this:

Axl: ...That was denied and I didn’t walk till several months after having 3 to 4 hour phone conversations nearly every day with Slash trying to reach a compromise. I was specifically told no lyrics, no melodies, no changes to anything and to sing what I was told or fuck off.

Not exactly the same.

You're right. However, I believe the expression is basically saying the same in slightly different words. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jamillos said:

You're right. However, I believe the expression is basically saying the same in slightly different words. 

I don't know. I think Sorry is partly about Slash, because there are some lines in it that seem to be directed at one person and I can't think of anybody else they could be directed at. Not the "shut up and sing" line necessarily, though.  For example, this is from a review of the Indianapolis show in 1992:

Turning his embittered bile on his home state of Indiana, the singer’s whining act quickly wore thin, and his rambling diatribes were mostly met with stony silence or shouts of “Shut up and sing!” which only served to exacerbate his open contempt for the crowd.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t1670-1992-07-22-hoosier-dome-indianapolis-usa

Edited by Blackstar

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I don't know. I think Sorry is partly about Slash, because there are some lines in it that seem to be directed at one person and I can't think of anybody else they could be directed at. Not the "shut up and sing" line necessarily, though.  For example, this is from a review of the Indianapolis show in 1992:

Turning his embittered bile on his home state of Indiana, the singer’s whining act quickly wore thin, and his rambling diatribes were mostly met with stony silence or shouts of “Shut up and sing!” which only served to exacerbate his open contempt for the crowd.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t1670-1992-07-22-hoosier-dome-indianapolis-usa

Hmm, interesting. But why put it in Sorry? In any case, I believe Sorry and HS are more about him than SoD, which I don't think is about him. Of course, it's all a matter of opinion. 

9 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Yeah, SoD sounds to me like it's about a woman. "The feelings that I felt I saved for you and no one else..."

Whereas Sorry and HS? I mean, Axl's chat: "I was told to shut up and sing". Sorry, literally: "Just shut up and sing". 

I think you're right, but I guess it could be just a standard relationship too. Like you, I always interpreted it as lovers separating and he was getting over things. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Hmm, interesting. But why put it in Sorry? In any case, I believe Sorry and HS are more about him than SoD, which I don't think is about him. Of course, it's all a matter of opinion. 

Maybe because Sorry is like a "rant" aimed at people and things that pissed Axl off.

If we take him at his word:

Axl: With Sorry.. like a lot of the material is drawn from a lot of different situations. The main focus on the boards w/the track seems to be either Slash or "the fans" (and the collective of "the fans" is another thing that doesn't work for me) and is much too restrictive or narrow and limits what I feel I intended. For me it's for anyone talking nonsense at mine and the public's expense and that many of those as well as the public don't know who to believe.

He doesn't really deny either interpretation here, he just says that it's not as limited as being just about Slash or some fans or the media etc.

On 8/7/2021 at 8:29 PM, RussTCB said:

Personally, I don't think any song on Chinese is about Slash except for The Blues 

Are you sure SOD is about Slash? Has Axl or anyone in the inner circle ever spoken about it? It always thought it was about Stephanie, much like everything else on CD! 

4 minutes ago, MalibusMostWanted said:

Are you sure SOD is about Slash? Has Axl or anyone in the inner circle ever spoken about it? It always thought it was about Stephanie, much like everything else on CD! 

No, I'm not sure, it's just my guess. 

On 8/8/2021 at 4:04 AM, Original said:

My fave track on CD.   Great song and I think Slash could do it justice.  Maybe it’s just me but I’d much rather have SOD over some of the covers or Absurd etc…

Would love to see that happen, but it seemed to be shelved after Vegas 2012. Absolutely would be a great fit with Slash. Axl dodged the literal interpretations of his lyrics, in his interviews.