UYI boxset will be released 11/11/22. In Slash We Trust. * Now available *

48 minutes ago, Sausagebrain said:

Yes. That's why it's such a missed opportunity to have not included demos of the songs in this boxset. (Like the ones Slash said in his autobiography that he still had).

Cant say that they would definitely be better or worse than the final product. But it would cost the songs in a different light, for sure.

Slash said in his autobiography that he didn't have those rough mixes anymore and he wished he still had them. They were rough mixes, not demos, and as he described it, they were likely instrumental only - probably like the ones that have circulated (that include 14 Years with the long outro) and date from when Slash had started recording his leads (after the basic tracks were recorded).

29 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I was just going to post that I hope and wish they do this with the 88 Ritz show. I would die happy if I could watch that show in this quality. Donnington 88 must have been recorded too right?

What is "Welcome To The Jungle full show"?

TBF - there is some superb versions out there …. @FRANSADhas a great version which looks superb. I also got a Japanese package which included the audio disc and show on DVD. Great looking package actually.

Of course I’d absolutely be all over an official one like a rash….but the others will do in the meantime.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I'm debating on eating my words and just pulling the trigger on the set. I've listened to and watched everything and it has far exceeded my expectations. The Ritz is brilliant. Vegas is my new Live Era. I feared basically just getting the "live bootlegs on CD" as it were, but the fact that they have been so well mixed shows a real level of effort.

Fuck this band. :lol:

Well mixed, honestly?? I think the mixing is awful on both shows. I've got bootlegs that sound better! Slash's guitar tone in the November Rain outtro from Vegas - WTF!! I can't believe he allowed that to be released. Goes to show he probably didn't bother listening to it all the way through before approval. Plus it appears to be mixed to match their current live sound with the drums really low in the mix. It's missing that thunderous beat that was such a huge part of their UYI-era live sound. It's a real shame as I agree, the performances are better (generally) than Live Era (the ones that aren't also ON Live Era, that is!) - and Axl's voice is great - but the audio mix is a poor comparison.

On the choice of shows, I've got a theory that both of these had already been mixed a long time ago. Slash mentions during the gig that the Ritz show will be broadcast on TV so I reckon that was the plan, but it was pulled for some reason. Similarly, I suspect Vegas was intended to be the live album release Axl talked about during the tour. The fact that they put out Yesterdays from it as a B-Side suggests it had probably been prepared as such. 

Edited by Steve J from UK GUNS
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Steve J from UK GUNS said:

Well mixed, honestly?? I think the mixing is awful on both shows. I've got bootlegs that sound better! Slash's guitar tone in the November Rain outtro from Vegas - WTF!! I can't believe he allowed that to be released. Goes to show he probably didn't bother listening to it all the way through before approval. Plus it appears to be mixed to match their current live sound with the drums really low in the mix. It's missing that thunderous beat that was such a huge part of their UYI-era live sound. It's a real shame as I agree, the performances are better (generally) than Live Era (the ones that aren't also ON Live Era, that is!) - and Axl's voice is great - but the audio mix is a poor comparison.

On the choice of shows, I've got a theory that both of these had already been mixed a long time ago. Slash mentions during the gig that the Ritz show will be broadcast on TV so I reckon that was the plan, but it was pulled for some reason. Similarly, I suspect Vegas was intended to be the live album release Axl talked about during the tour. The fact that they put out Yesterdays from it as a B-Side suggests it had probably been prepared as such. 

Do we know if there are any pointers in the credit’s regarding the production/mixing of the shows?

10 minutes ago, Steve J from UK GUNS said:

To each their own. I think the Ritz in particular sounds fantastic. Duff's bass is nice and thumpy in the mix and there's a lot more clarity than the rather dark sounding production of Live Era. Every instrument breathes more. Sure, maybe Slash is too loud but that just seems to be the nature of the UYI tour in general. It's even that way on audience bootlegs.

My point was that the release as a whole wasn't as half assed as I expected it to be. I can genuinely see me listening to it again and again which was not the case with the Appetite box which has been collecting dust since 2018.

Vegas sounds infinitely better to my ears than Live Era. I've already listened to it three or four times. If it's not your preference then who am I to tell you otherwise, but I personally dig it.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, UncleJosh said:

You keep saying filmed.  It was recorded.  Not filmed.  Filming requires use of actual film stock.  It was taped on video.  

These are 2 different things. They recorded tons of shows.  They only filmed a handful.

Sorry I do not mean to come off rudely.  Just trying to stop misinformation since a lot of people think they "filmed" so many shows when they did not.

Interviewer: So, how's the new Ant-Man movie going Paul Rudd?

Paul Rudd: Great. We're filming right now.

Interview: No, actually, you are recording. You are using the Arri Alexa. It's a videocamera. You are not filming. Please Paul Rudd, stop with the misinformation.

(you can use the term filming/been filmed without linking it to 8/16/35/65mm film. It's not a problem unless you make it one. As in "Too bad Pearl Jam filmed the Madison Square Garden show in 2003 in SD on Sony DSR-WS 500 cameras and didn't have Martin Scorcese shoot it on 35)

Saying something was filmed and could be released officially =/= something having been filmed on 35mm and could be released officially. 

Edited by Spiritual_Chaos
  • Like 2
  • ABSUЯD 2

34 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Do we know if there are any pointers in the credit’s regarding the production/mixing of the shows?

"Mixed by Peter A. Barker at Spin Move And Pen Station Studios, Los Angeles - 2022. Additional mix engineering: Chen Shen. Assistant mix engineers: Jacob Stewart and Cezar Barretto"

It's the same credits for all live tracks (regarding the mix).

Ritz, Vegas and Paris were recorded by Mike Clink. Wembley and Rio by other people (that would explain the difference in the quality)

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

"Mixed by Peter A. Barker at Spin Move And Pen Station Studios, Los Angeles - 2022. Additional mix engineering: Chen Shen. Assistant mix engineers: Jacob Stewart and Cezar Barretto"

It's the same credits for all live tracks (regarding the mix).

Ritz, Vegas and Paris were recorded by Mike Clink. Wembley and Rio by other people (that would explain the difference in the quality)

Cheers. I was just thinking about the theory that this stuff was mixed way back then for a release that never came…or if they had all been remixed more recently.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Spiritual_Chaos said:

Interviewer: So, how's the new Ant-Man movie going Paul Rudd?

Paul Rudd: Great. We're filming right now.

Interview: No, actually, you are recording. You are using the Arri Alexa. It's a videocamera. You are not filming. Please Paul Rudd, stop with the misinformation.

(you can use the term filming/been filmed without linking it to 8/16/35/65mm film. It's not a problem unless you make it one. As in "Too bad Pearl Jam filmed the Madison Square Garden show in 2003 in SD on Sony DSR-WS 500 cameras and didn't have Martin Scorcese shoot it on 35)

Saying something was filmed and could be released officially =/= something having been filmed on 35mm and could be released officially. 

I agree. While initially the debate was over whether or not other shows from the tour could get the 4K scan treatment, I think ultimately it has dwindled into a battle of semantics. I think what most posters mean is just simply "let's release the rest of the shows that are available for use."

Some questions regarding the The Ritz show:

1. Was the original director involved in the edit of this now in 2022? Or maybe this is the same edit as in 1991?

2. Did they film the whole show because they were gonna do the You Could Be Mine-video. Or did they make the You Could Be Mine-video because they were filming the whole show?

3. And a follow up to that. Was this shot, framed for a theatrical widescreen presentation or was it shot for 1.33. I understand that You Could Be Mine obviously very much was framed to work on MTV, and maybe it is me being so used to Widescreen but it has an "open matte" look in places, as if it was framed originally for a wider format. But maybe that is just me overly used to widescreen and cramped pan & scan releases from back in the day. I'm presuming it was shot and framed for 1.33. Bu who knows, maybe they had a theatrical release in mind, shooting it on 35 and all.

20 minutes ago, Spiritual_Chaos said:

Some questions regarding the The Ritz show:

1. Was the original director involved in the edit of this now in 2022? Or maybe this is the same edit as in 1991?

2. Did they film the whole show because they were gonna do the You Could Be Mine-video. Or did they make the You Could Be Mine-video because they were filming the whole show?

3. And a follow up to that. Was this shot, framed for a theatrical widescreen presentation or was it shot for 1.33. I understand that You Could Be Mine obviously very much was framed to work on MTV, and maybe it is me being so used to Widescreen but it has an "open matte" look in places, as if it was framed originally for a wider format. But maybe that is just me overly used to widescreen and cramped pan & scan releases from back in the day. I'm presuming it was shot and framed for 1.33. Bu who knows, maybe they had a theatrical release in mind, shooting it on 35 and all.

You Could Be Mine was the first single to drop from GN’R’s 1991 Studio Album, Use Your Illusion II.  It was also a music video promo for the Mega-Movie Terminator 2-Judgment Day, starring Arnold Schwarzenegger.  The video also served as an appetizer for Guns N’ Roses fans anticipating the long awaited release of the Illusion records slated to drop later in the year.  Gun’s video performance was captured during a live show at the Ritz in NYC.  The performance shoot was produced by Propaganda Films/The Foundry (Metal Music Video Division), and directed by Jean Pellerin.  The concert was shot on 16mm film, employing 9 cameras, the rest of the video was produced by Carolco Pictures.  Unlike most music video shoots, this is not a lip-sync performance to playback.  Guns N’ Roses were playing live and did not provide a Set List, so the Film Crew had no way to prepare for the near 6 minute song You Could Be Mine.  Pellerin filmed the entire concert and as luck would have it, nearly every camera rolls out at different times during the “YCBM” performance.  A lot of times bands re-take the stage and will perform a single again to get a Music Video in the can.  Not GN’R.  This was probably one of their last shows played with Izzy Stradlin’ (May 16, 1991), that was actually shot on film.  It was a raucous GN”R performance in their prime at a sold out club gig in NYC.  It was a loud, raw, high energy performance that would definitely be worth seeing again.  That film and tape is sitting in a vault somewhere.. just waiting to be edited.

Directed by Jean Pellerin/Edit Directed by Mark Racco

https://dfyproductions.com/music-videos/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steve J from UK GUNS said:

It is also brickwalled, mastered for ear buds, no dynamic range.  

16 hours ago, Chris 55 said:

Ah1 You saw the same video I did!

Yeah, I'm learning more and more about vinyl and you REALLY have to do a lot to take care of it. 

I like what's there but not as much as i wanted to. I thought the remasters were going to be very different sounding. There's so much they left off like the videos and demos. They didn't include the Don't Cry demo on the Appetite box set and it should have been included here and wasn't. It also makes me wonder why they were so insecure with their performances for Live Era that they felt they had to edit them togethere where here, here they are, warts and all. 

Same video, probably. 

While i will not be picking u the box set, i am thinking on picking up the remastered UYI and UYI2, as my original CD's (picked up back in the day) fail to work 100% as some CD's develop faults over time. The remastered CD's provide an excuse yo upgrade :)

Edited by star

18 hours ago, WillBailey said:

I dont know if anyone from GN'R's camp checks out this forum but looking at the amazing, raving, authentic reviews here and actually everywhere (Rolling Stone magazine, Twitter, etc), we as fans just have one request:

Keep that vault open and please release more shows! We'll all pay good money for it (well most of us), especially if they're nicely released in Blu-ray + 2/3CDs packages. Release one show every 6 months or whatever. Cathouse 89, Pantages 91 (if its complete), Wembley 91, Rio 91, Munich 93, etc.

Do it for the fans! We waited 30 years for that Ritz gem. Lets not wait another 30 years for the next one! 🤘

Assuming they have a ton of recorded video in the vaults, and they don't release much music these days, can't they simply include a live show with every future single, as a Special Edition CD single (complete with Blu-ray) and not charge crazy prices :)

• Like 1

Totally agree I wish they would release more shows even if in bootleg quality which is what most of the recorded shows would look like.

I agree it is semantics but there are also people who are insisting the whole tour was filmed in the same quality as the Ritz which is simply not true.

Take a look at Metallica's channel sometime and look at their videos they uploaded from the Black Tour. These were recorded the same way basically and they even cleaned them up and remastered/remixed the audio as best they could. They are awesome BUT they are not anywhere close to the Ritz 1991.  They clearly recorded many shows on that tour in varying quality but even their official release from San Diego 1992 was nowhere near as good as Ritz 1991.

All that said. I will bow out of the semantics argument. I do know people use filmed and recorded or videoed sometimes interchangeably, I just don't want people to keep their hopes up that multiple shows could ever be released like this one.

Think more Chicago/Oklahoma/St. Louis/Saskatchewan.  Still great and I would love every one they have to come out someday. Wishful thinking.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Draguns said:

Has anyone not gotten their Use Your Illusion Super deluxe set that ordered through the GNR merchandise website? My order is right now in Ohio with no scheduled delivery date. I'm not happy about this. I paid money and Fedex is messing around. I'm not sure what to do. 

I ordered mine from Target and it's finally getting delivered this afternoon. Evidently UPS delivered it to the post office instead of my house.