Russia Invades Ukraine

Gibson87

More evidence of Putin not being the master with geopolitical calculations:

Finland expected to join NATO within a few weeks; Sweden expected to join soon after.

FYI, Russia and Finland share a 839 mile long border.  This brings NATO a few miles from Putin’s hometown…

35 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

The question is, will this make the Russians calm down and back off or cause them to double down.

What other countries haven't joined NATO/EU?

I have little doubt Russia would have attacked Ukraine had it actually been part of NATO.  The argument that countries shouldn’t join NATO because it will result in military action by Russia just fell by the wayside as a result of Russia’s actions in Ukraine.

There’s no chance Russia wins any war against a united NATO front. And I doubt it would use nuclear weapons if conflict was limited to the country Russia was attacking. I think a line NATO would never cross is to actually attack within Russia and/or posture as though it was about to invade Russia for the sake of regime change.  That said, that all goes out the window if Trump wins in 2024. I don’t see Trump doing fuck all if article five is invoked. 

16 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Oh absolutely, Russia would get annihilated in any form of conflict against USA, Canada, NZ/Aussie, UK, Europe and maybe others - would fuck them back into the stone age.

I'm not saying they shouldn't join NATO - I probably would prior to all this - but my stance has since hardened. That's the thing, they went full retard and consolidated the world against them. I'm saying I wonder if Russia is sane enough to back down or they'll want to go out in a blaze of shame.

Regarding Trump, he should be executed for treason. At this point it's quite obvious he's Russia's lapdog. He wanted to dissolve NATO ffs.

I agree with your about Trump. And what makes me sick too is all the Republicans who are still on his side.

What the hell is wrong with these Republicans? so many of them went to major colleges, but their common sense went out the window.

Walking out on Justice Jackson when she was voted on the Supreme court was shameful. The Dems and Reps are so far apart I doubt anything short of a nuclear war would bring them together.  

The editorial section of the Dallas Morning newspaper today had people answer to the question about the war in Ukraine.

One person wrote about how the US and Nato are afraid to call out Putin and make more moves to stop him because it might start WWIII. His comments were for Ukraine they are fighting WWIII. I so agree with this guy.

I think more must be done to help Ukraine. Russia and Putin won't stop this time around. Putin knows no one would make a move that he can use to say this is "WWIII" so he'll continue to send in more troops from Russia and pay mercenaries to commit any crime they want to. Innocent people are being raped, killed and their homes are gone. What more does the US and Nato want to see that Putin won't stop and talk and sanctions are not enough. Talk is bullshit, more actions need to be done against Putin or this war will gone on for a very long time or until Ukraine falls and President Z is hanged in the street!

20 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

They have descended into madness. It's literally like trying to reason with cult members.

You are so right. I live in Texas and Cruz is so damn stupid and his ego is huge. So many morons are in government here in Texas. Can't stand their backward way of thinking. We moved here from New York 30 years ago and now I have a daughter and am divorced, so I can't move away from here. I guess living in New York we had so many different views on things. 

I don't know what people are thinking when they vote for these jerks? Each day they try to take away more of our rights and no one seems to care? I hope this new Judge can change some of the stupid laws they are trying to put into action. Too many Southern states want to do away with abortions and saying "gay". Not to mention taking books away and telling teachers how to teach. It's madness for sure.

On 4/9/2022 at 1:36 AM, downzy said:

More evidence of Putin not being the master with geopolitical calculations:

Finland expected to join NATO within a few weeks; Sweden expected to join soon after.

FYI, Russia and Finland share a 839 mile long border.  This brings NATO a few miles from Putin’s hometown…

There's obviously a lot of talks about this over here. Our governing party have historically been very against Sweden joining NATO, but that has changed in the last few weeks. The talk over here, amongst the public, is that we and Finland should submit the NATO application on the same day to ensure both countries security.

• Like 3

Just heard some more scary news. it seems the woman who is running against the President of France is a huge supporter of Putin and if she wins the election she would drop out of Nato. You would think after all the shit France has gone through they would know when a crazy person wants to be in power! What the hell is going on?

I know the US and most of the world is suffering through high prices and other shit, but to put a woman who admires Putin in power? I just don't get it at all.

Still wish more could be done to help Ukraine. I think of those people who's lives are now changed forever and those who are still in Ukraine scared and not knowing what the day will bring. I don't know how they live like that? it's just horrible to think about it.

On 4/11/2022 at 6:46 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Just heard some more scary news. it seems the woman who is running against the President of France is a huge supporter of Putin and if she wins the election she would drop out of Nato. You would think after all the shit France has gone through they would know when a crazy person wants to be in power! What the hell is going on?

I know the US and most of the world is suffering through high prices and other shit, but to put a woman who admires Putin in power? I just don't get it at all.

Still wish more could be done to help Ukraine. I think of those people who's lives are now changed forever and those who are still in Ukraine scared and not knowing what the day will bring. I don't know how they live like that? it's just horrible to think about it.

the French have always been super weird. certainly weird enough to vote Putler's proxy as a president. after all, they already managed to hold Germany by the balls.

After all Putin and Russia has done to the Ukraine people I don't see how anyone can admire Putin. Maybe she figures if she's on his side, Putin won't invade France when the time comes? Yeah, right.

It seems no matter what the Ukraine does, Putin won't give up the fight.

The world needs to realize this and do more for Ukraine. How many more people have to suffer each and every day.

And even though Russian troops have left some cities, I doubt they will stay away for good. 

These people live in fear every day while others talk and talk. 

I doubt most of the other countries including the US would live like this every day. I know I couldn't do it.

3 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

After all Putin and Russia has done to the Ukraine people I don't see how anyone can admire Putin. Maybe she figures if she's on his side, Putin won't invade France when the time comes? Yeah, right.

It seems no matter what the Ukraine does, Putin won't give up the fight.

The world needs to realize this and do more for Ukraine. How many more people have to suffer each and every day.

And even though Russian troops have left some cities, I doubt they will stay away for good. 

These people live in fear every day while others talk and talk. 

I doubt most of the other countries including the US would live like this every day. I know I couldn't do it.

She is not Putin's admirer... she (as most of polititians these days) doesn't care where from money is coming as long as it arrives... 

Germany stood with high moral when economic crisis was at peak and when they ordered Greece and the rest of Europe to lower their spendings (wrong tactics as many ecomoists said then and all of them now) even if that caused loweri g of standards in those countries. But now, when they should abandon cheap russian oil and maybe lower their own standard - no way... glad, president Z refused German presidebt's visit to Kyiv. After all, they (Germany) are Putin's main financiers...

On 4/8/2022 at 3:29 PM, downzy said:

That would ensure a nuclear response. 

So, not great.

I hear you there, however, had Ukraine kept and maintained the 1/3 of the Soviet nuclear arsenal it did have, perhaps Putin would have been a bit more hesitant to invade them. 

The nuclear equivalent of a potential mugging victim walking around, potentially carrying a firearm of defense. It may, or may not make a difference in the end for their sake, could even cause more problems should things go wrong, but, the assailant may think twice before going for someone who potentially has some real firepower. 

In other words, sometimes the most powerful weapons are the ones that never get used. 

My guess is Ukraine gave up the nuclear weapons in hopes NATO accepted them. I'm sure they regret this now.

I'm never one for absolutes, so perhaps they did squirrel away some nuclear weapons, or at least components to re-activate some if the need arises. 

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Any country would face a lot of challenges invading a country with a large armed population like the United States, especially if the US government was handing out additional arms to civilians during an invasion. 

But, in the event where resistance was useless, I'd rather die fighting than live under occupation by the Russians. Hard to think about loved ones being ravaged by such a force. 

Edited by Sweersa

The world news just said how Putin said he will never leave Ukraine and will not lose the war.  And the rest of the world just talks.

I saw a picture of a young woman with words on her naked back put there by Russian soldiers. If anyone thinks this war will end soon is crazy.

The leaders of the world need to do something drastic because Putin won't stop and he'll continue to do horrible things to Ukraine and the people who are still there.

Also the two people in jail in Russia probably won't be released anytime soon. Putin has the upper hand in everything.

On 4/12/2022 at 2:40 PM, -Jaro- said:

She is not Putin's admirer... she (as most of polititians these days) doesn't care where from money is coming as long as it arrives... 

Germany stood with high moral when economic crisis was at peak and when they ordered Greece and the rest of Europe to lower their spendings (wrong tactics as many ecomoists said then and all of them now) even if that caused loweri g of standards in those countries. But now, when they should abandon cheap russian oil and maybe lower their own standard - no way... glad, president Z refused German presidebt's visit to Kyiv. After all, they (Germany) are Putin's main financiers...

Germany's weakness has always been it's lack of natural resources. Since they did an own-goal of going away from nuclear power, they have no other option.

1 hour ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Germany's weakness has always been it's lack of natural resources. Since they did an own-goal of going away from nuclear power, they have no other option.

They went away from nuclear power because of their polititians connectiobs with Russia and profit from import of Russian coal, gas and oil... Mutti Angela was always apolegetic for Putin - strange thing for Eastern German about former KGB...

13 hours ago, -Jaro- said:

They went away from nuclear power because of their polititians connectiobs with Russia and profit from import of Russian coal, gas and oil... Mutti Angela was always apolegetic for Putin - strange thing for Eastern German about former KGB...

That might be part of it. But the many of the environmentalist movement are biased against nuclear.

Also on an unrelated note:

Reminder of just how many people Ukraine is losing to emigration.

Edited by Basic_GnR_Fan

36 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

That might be part of it. But the many of the environmentalist movement are biased against nuclear.

Also on an unrelated note:

Reminder of just how many people Ukraine is losing to emigration.

90 percent of those are women and children.

It's still a question as to whether they'll stay in their host countries or go back once the violence has subsided and homes are rebuilt. 

I read Finland is sending help to Ukraine too. that's good, but Ukraine is still suffering and each day the Russian troops get worse with the horrible things they are doing to those poor people.

I can't stand knowing how they can't be stopped? What the hell?

Also saw on the news that rich Russian families have their kids going to US colleges. I was like what? I think the US should expel these kids and send them back to Russia.

1 hour ago, downzy said:

It's still a question as to whether they'll stay in their host countries or go back once the violence has subsided and homes are rebuilt. 

If the numbers keep going up and many don't return the demographic implications are massive for a country with low birth rates like Ukraine.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

If the numbers keep going up and many don't return the demographic implications are massive for a country with low birth rates like Ukraine.

My bet is many will once the war is over.

It’s not as though Russia is in much better shape. 

31 minutes ago, Gavin82 said:

Impressive how it was only less than two months ago the same ship was told to go fuck itself. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, downzy said:

Some (small numbers) already returned to Kyiv oblast...

And about good news - "Moscow" is at the bottom of the sea...

2ukraine-stamp_custom-30c6e3889c98487086

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

How the hell did they manage to take down that ship? :lol:  Well done!!

Ukraine claims they hit it with Neptune projectile, but Russa claims it wasn't like that. They said, the greatest Black Sea ship was destroyed by their own incompetence... 🤡

But they are hurt... TV show pundits call for starting the war (!) Because of it and for nuking Kyiv...

Edited by -Jaro-