Russia Invades Ukraine

Gibson87

Putin did not rape girls and women in front of their mothers/children, did not kill blindfolded civilians, did not pull teeth from men and women, old and young...

Russians did, many of them... and they cannot hide behind Putin, goverment propaganda,brainwashing or smth similar... 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, -Jaro- said:

Putin did not rape girls and women in front of their mothers/children, did not kill blindfolded civilians, did not pull teeth from men and women, old and young...

Russians did, many of them... and they cannot hide behind Putin, goverment propaganda,brainwashing or smth similar... 

Call me a cynical bastard and I honestly do not want for it to be this way but this is what we humans do if left unchecked. Being civil to one another is a luxury. When times are hard well that's a whole different story. 

4 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

What does it say?

few hundred cars rally in mourning because fall of Berlin Wall (my interpretation).

This tweet says 5000 cars (number is way exaggerated) in support for Russia:

Don't see any one driving ladas or trabants - only "fascist" western brands.

And of all cities in the world - to mourn over USSR (those flags were there also) in Berlin is just...

On a more positive note, Russia has indeed withdrawn forces from everywhere except the South-East, they are obviously regrouping to better control the Donbas region. Hopefully this signifies a change in strategy, a more reduced objective of just capturing and holding those more Russia-friendly regions, and not to capture a large part of Ukraine. But of course, this could just be a temporary measure, what will be interesting to see is what they will do if (or when) they get control in the entire Donbas - will they be happy with this or again send troops further into Ukraine?

On 3/29/2022 at 10:21 PM, Oldest Goat said:

If that's true it is rather awkward, isn't it? Hopefully they survive and grow into having better beliefs.

I suppose it wasn't the first time Nazis fought Russians.

In such a desperate situation, Ukraine is probably accepting help from anyone, regardless of personal and/or political beliefs and practices. 

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

On a more positive note, Russia has indeed withdrawn forces from everywhere except the South-East, they are obviously regrouping to better control the Donbas region. Hopefully this signifies a change in strategy, a more reduced objective of just capturing and holding those more Russia-friendly regions, and not to capture a large part of Ukraine. But of course, this could just be a temporary measure, what will be interesting to see is what they will do if (or when) they get control in the entire Donbas - will they be happy with this or again send troops further into Ukraine?

I suspect this withdrawal is going to bring escalation on eastern front, or usage of chemical (or worse) weapon in abandoned territory... I don't have faith in good intentions of Russian side...

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

yeah, licking wounds and then attack again.

ruzzian state agency already released a statement that the aim is to genocide and erase the whole Ukraine. they will never stop unless militarily totally defeated.

18 hours ago, grouse said:

Call me a cynical bastard and I honestly do not want for it to be this way but this is what we humans do if left unchecked. Being civil to one another is a luxury. When times are hard well that's a whole different story. 

no, you are wrong. this is not that those orcs are "left unchecked". this is a planned and state-endorsed policy of the invading horde.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -Jaro- said:

I suspect this withdrawal is going to bring escalation on eastern front, or usage of chemical (or worse) weapon in abandoned territory... I don't have faith in good intentions of Russian side...

Yes, definitely escalation on the east front. They spread out too thin.

As we all see the dead in Ukraine with hands tied behind their backs and shot in the head, Putin and Russia deny it and say it's staged.

Honestly, does Putin think President Z would do this? I guess since he would do it and is having his Russian soldiers doing it, he thinks Ukraine would do it too.

Meanwhile Biden keeps calling him a war criminal and he needs to go to trial. Who exactly is going to put Putin on trial.

Out of the thousands of Nazi criminals who did horrible crimes during WWII only a hand full were put on trial and punished, so I doubt Putin will go on trial for anything he's done and is still doing.

Something drastic has to be done.

As horrifying and gut wrenching as this is, Ukraine seems to be doing miraculously well. It’s a Goliath and David situation. I don’t think anyone would have reasonably thought a Ukrainian victory in the north this fast was remotely possible. Atrocities are happening and will continue to happen, but a wider European war would make what we are seeing now look minimal with the stakes that high. I think the west has responded well so far. Russia, the supposed second mightiest military and the western boogie man since 1945 has been humiliated on the world stage. Because of western weapons and intelligence, Ukraine has been able to put up an unprecedented defense. NATO has humbled Putin without a single boot on the ground. Escalating with combat would undermine that while risking the use of chemical and nuclear weapons. Ukraine was not even considered a viable army before this. Their ferocity combined with NATO support is proving to be effective.

The battle for the East will no doubt ramp up and be disgusting, but Ukraine is fierce and it is looking like they can expel the Russians or at least beat them down more to where a more viable peace option is drafted. Putin has already backpedaled a fair amount with his demands. I hope it ends soon

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

Even though I didn't think Russia would have such a hard time either, Ukraine is the second biggest country in Europe and shouldn't have been underestimated completely. It wasn't going to be like Nazi Germany invading and occupying the tiny countries in Europe within a week back in 1940.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

Even though I didn't think Russia would have such a hard time either, Ukraine is the second biggest country in Europe and shouldn't have been underestimated completely. It wasn't going to be like Nazi Germany invading and occupying the tiny countries in Europe within a week back in 1940.

I'm not sure about that.  I don't think many at the time thought that France would fall as quickly as it did.  I believe it had the largest military in Europe at the time. 

Ukraine doing as well as it has I think is almost as astounding as France folding as quickly as it did.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, downzy said:

I'm not sure about that.  I don't think many at the time thought that France would fall as quickly as it did.  I believe it had the largest military in Europe at the time. 

Ukraine doing as well as it did I think almost as astounding as France folding as quickly as it did.  

I was referring to the Benelux countries, it took Germany little over two weeks to conquer them.
But my point is that among some people there was a sentiment, before and at the beginning of this crisis, that poor little Ukraine was going to be demolished by mighty Russia. But Ukraine isn't some tiny country. It's the biggest country in Europe, next to Russia, and I think quite a few people aren't aware of that. That being said, I didn't expect them to stand so strong either, that's for sure.

On 4/4/2022 at 5:42 PM, zombux said:

yeah, licking wounds and then attack again.

ruzzian state agency already released a statement that the aim is to genocide and erase the whole Ukraine. they will never stop unless militarily totally defeated.

no, you are wrong. this is not that those orcs are "left unchecked". this is a planned and state-endorsed policy of the invading horde.

I was painting a bigger picture here, it did not land I see. that's fine.

On 4/4/2022 at 5:42 PM, zombux said:

Ruzzian state agency already released a statement that the aim is to genocide and erase the whole Ukraine. they will never stop unless militarily totally defeated.

I read another take on that article: Kremlin allows and encourages extremists viewpoints, like the article you mentioned, so Putin in contrast will come off as moderate and people will rally around him. 

12 hours ago, EvanG said:

I was referring to the Benelux countries, it took Germany little over two weeks to conquer them.
But my point is that among some people there was a sentiment, before and at the beginning of this crisis, that poor little Ukraine was going to be demolished by mighty Russia. But Ukraine isn't some tiny country. It's the biggest country in Europe, next to Russia, and I think quite a few people aren't aware of that. That being said, I didn't expect them to stand so strong either, that's for sure.

Moreover, a lot of people are forgetting (or don't know) that there's been a war in the east of the country for over 8 years, carried out mostly by the far right militia as part of the Ukrainian National Guard, against the pro-Russian separatists who were aided by Russia (but the Ukrainian forces were also aided by the U.S. and other countries with weapons, intelligence, etc.).

I don't know if the information is accurate, but I've read that the Ukrainians fighting in the east currently are about 100,000 - not a small number at all.

Edited by Blackstar