Axl Rose Rant on Conan O' Brien - 2002

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Axl: Is Conan here tonight? Okay, you know, Conan is Mr. Conan O’ Brien, my good friend Conan. You see, I read a little while ago that he was on a diet. And now and then, you know, you need a break from a thing like that, so I brought him some donuts. These are a special Krispy Kreme Conan O’ Brien dedication from me. [...] “Axl’s White Trash Bistro Catering” has some Conan donuts here. [...] He won’t mind, my good friend, he won’t mind. [Madison Square Garden, New York City, NY, USA, December 5, 2002]

Now THAT'S how you 'clapback'.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

Gotta give it to Axl unlike those fake TV people he doesn't need a team of writers to come up with a good joke or a little story.

I miss those Axl rants. For me a real GNR concert isn't complete without one.

Life was better before Twitter, Facebook, Insta etc. #hashtagmyass

I was rewatching the Guns N' Roses Chicago '92 performance, specifically for the rant before "Live And Let Die". Absolutely incredible :)

6 hours ago, ©GnrPersia said:

lol but wait... weren't they?... aren't they? <_<

Well, they were hired, so part of their job description was to do what Axl wanted them to.

But I don't know if it's fair to say that all of them, e.g. Buckethead, were "yes men."

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Nintari said:

I'll go a step further and say life was better before the whole damn internet.

Life before the internet sounds awfully uncomfortable to me, no Google for example? Jesus Christ I mean, what did you have to do to look something up..look at an encyclopaedia? LOL yeah no, I’m good:lol:

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Haha 2

On 7/28/2022 at 2:32 PM, adamsapple said:

Gotta give it to Axl unlike those fake TV people he doesn't need a team of writers to come up with a good joke or a little story.

I miss those Axl rants. For me a real GNR concert isn't complete without one.

Life was better before Twitter, Facebook, Insta etc. #hashtagmyass

There's a rant you can find on YouTube from 1993 where Axl absolutely rips into James Hetfield who'd been making fun of him the previous 2 years.

Just a mean spirited joke by Conan that he'd probably not make today but was unfortunately commonplace sentiment at the time as the 2002 band was mercilessly ripped on.

2002 Axl wasn't 1992 Axl or anything but I don't get the weight jokes from that era. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Life before the internet sounds awfully uncomfortable to me, no Google for example? Jesus Christ I mean, what did you have to do to look something up..look at an encyclopaedia? LOL yeah no, I’m good:lol:

Life before the internet was great, probably greater than now. Yes we have access to more stuff but its not that fun.
How many times I had to learn the route days before going to a new job, I had a poor drawing map on a piece of paper.
Saving money to buy a new music magazine with free cd, or even console magazine, we had free demo with it.
Planning a suicidal mission for some playboy mag, clothing catalogs were the holy graal for teenagers.
Oh well.. I sound like an old jerk, I like the life now, I dont need to twist my mind when Im looking for something.
The beginning of the internet days were great, more freedom, I guess

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mystery said:

There's a rant you can find on YouTube from 1993 where Axl absolutely rips into James Hetfield who'd been making fun of him the previous 2 years.

You can read about Metallica and GN'R after they toured together, including @Blackstar's transcription of that rant, here: (15) 16. JANUARY-JULY 1993: THE SKIN N' BONES TOUR; END OF AN ERA (a-4-d.com)

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 1:28 AM, mystery said:

Just a mean spirited joke by Conan that he'd probably not make today but was unfortunately commonplace sentiment at the time as the 2002 band was mercilessly ripped on.

2002 Axl wasn't 1992 Axl or anything but I don't get the weight jokes from that era. 

The clothes he wore made him look a lot bigger than he was, but he was in fine shape realistically. Its a miracle any of those 2002 shows even happened considering the mental state he seemed to be in at the time. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

The clothes he wore made him look a lot bigger than he was, but he was in fine shape realistically. Its a miracle any of those 2002 shows even happened considering the mental state he seemed to be in at the time. 

Its hard to tell because of the clothes like you said but he looked fine. The thing is that even though he reappeared publicly in 2001, 2002 was kind of his reintroduction into the mainstream.

The public by and large hadn't seen him since 1993 so the look, the band, and his voice were an adjustment.