Axl Voice could have a comeback?

54 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Maybe not horrible, but they’re audibly hard for him. And he can’t not be aware of it. And he can’t not be aware of the more or less same playlist either, with negligible alternations between individual shows/legs. I know you know what I’m talking about. 

But once again, most bands do play the same setlist night in night out. Concerts are not designed for screen warriors, checking out every setlist on their PC, never going to a show themselves. Concerts are not even really designed to be attended multiple times. Certainly not at these prices. And so far, on every leg there have been songs, they haven't played before. Sometimes it's even a different setlist on the same leg. And for the casuals, it won't matter anyway, as in most countries/cities they only did 2-3 shows anyway in the past 7 years.

22 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

But once again, most bands do play the same setlist night in night out. Concerts are not designed for screen warriors, checking out every setlist on their PC, never going to a show themselves. Concerts are not even really designed to be attended multiple times. Certainly not at these prices. And so far, on every leg there have been songs, they haven't played before. Sometimes it's even a different setlist on the same leg. And for the casuals, it won't matter anyway, as in most countries/cities they only did 2-3 shows anyway in the past 7 years.

First of all most bands are quite aware that fans go see multiple shows, so much so they offer packages for people who want to do that. So they are kinda meant for that.

Most artists do the same set each night. Most not all. But most artists don't go around saying "it's different every night" that might suggest that they might open with Jungle or out ta get me some nights just because, but back in reality their different is "I play a slightly different solo on a few songs, or make the jam session in kohd longer".

But if we're talking about most bands. Most bands. I mean 99% of big touring bands do not play what is essentially the same configuration of songs for 7yrs. Start/finish songs get swapped out, some hits disappear for a leg replaced by other hits, there's new stage design, pyro. So it really is beside the point if you follow every setlist on your PC or haven't seen a show in a few years in person, gnr have been coasting. Yes, they've added maybe 10 songs? Big whoop, it's basically the equivalent of putting on a fake moustache and saying you're someone different. 7yrs later, the show should barely resemble NITL (hits have to be included of course) end of story.

I'm basically fine with this, I don't have to go support it. I just find it hard to stomach, someone actually defending it as if it's normal😄

Edited by Tom2112
  • Thanks 2

He chooses to sing like this, he needs to have his voice for a 3 hour concert almost every night for 7 years.

It is a conscient decision not to use or overuse the rasp.

He recorded Chi Dem without the rasp so it wouldn't sound so different live.

Also, compare it with the ACDC concerts. They were 1h30 hour long concerts and he was full on rasp.

23 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

First of all most bands are quite aware that fans go see multiple shows, so much so they offer packages for people who want to do that. So they are kinda meant for that.

Most artists do the same set each night. Most not all. But most artists don't go around saying "it's different every night" that might suggest that they might open with Jungle or out ta get me some nights just because, but back in reality their different is "I play a slightly different solo on a few songs, or make the jam session in kohd longer".

But if we're talking about most bands. Most bands. I mean 99% of big touring bands do not play what is essentially the same configuration of songs for 7yrs. Start/finish songs get swapped out, some hits disappear for a leg replaced by other hits, there's new stage design, pyro. So it really is beside the point if you follow every setlist on your PC or haven't seen a show in a few years in person, gnr have been coasting. Yes, they've added maybe 10 songs? Big whoop, it's basically the equivalent of putting on a fake moustache and saying you're someone different. 7yrs later, the show should barely resemble NITL (hits have to be included of course) end of story.

I'm basically fine with this, I don't have to go support it. I just find it hard to stomach, someone actually defending it as if it's normal😄

When have GNR offered packages to go to different cities?? When have GNR said it's different every night?? They certainly said none of that the last 7 years. Even back in the 90's it was pretty much the same every night. There is nothing to defend. It's just the way it is. To demand them doing different setlists every night, so you can have something different to read every morning, when the vast majority of artists pretty much play the same set each night and especially acts on GNR's level, is ridiculous. And nevermind, that it's a band with a limited catalog. So there is bound to be some overlaps. Changing the order they play the songs, won't change that. And to open with ISE and close with PC is what works best. Deal with it. Yeah, they could be more adventerous with playing more UYI songs, but then something else will go and people complain. Can't please them all. This show clearly is catered to the casuals who fill up the stadiums. And like I said, there was something different/new on every leg.

1 hour ago, PatrickS77 said:

When have GNR offered packages to go to different cities?? When have GNR said it's different every night?? They certainly said none of that the last 7 years. Even back in the 90's it was pretty much the same every night. There is nothing to defend. It's just the way it is. To demand them doing different setlists every night, so you can have something different to read every morning, when the vast majority of artists pretty much play the same set each night and especially acts on GNR's level, is ridiculous. And nevermind, that it's a band with a limited catalog. So there is bound to be some overlaps. Changing the order they play the songs, won't change that. And to open with ISE and close with PC is what works best. Deal with it. Yeah, they could be more adventerous with playing more UYI songs, but then something else will go and people complain. Can't please them all. This show clearly is catered to the casuals who fill up the stadiums. And like I said, there was something different/new on every leg.

I never said GNR offered that package. 

GNR have repeatedly said how the show is different every night, in almost every interview they've done where they get asked about the tour.

"It's what works best, deal with it" you should be the gnr press secretary🤣 bottom line. 7rs of this show.  SEVEN. YEARS. Just in case you missed that. You seem to think other bands do this, which leads me to believe you go to fuck all other bands😄 I have seen a lot of bands and if I see them two years later, the show is flipped on its head. Changing the order, makes the show interesting and it would help. Adventurous playing more UYI songs, I don't even care so much for this, but it would be nice... like you said there is a limited catalogue.

"Something different/new every leg" you're arguing over crumbs. The show has evolved, ever so slightly. And that's all the leeway I'll give them. You're arguing that these casual fans won't enjoy the show any other way than the way it's currently done? Pat... these casuals only care about hearing the hits, as long as they hear those GNR could open with Garden of Eden and close with My Michelle and it wouldn't matter to them. I am however quite aware why the set is how it is, and 7yrs ago it was great. But again that's nearly a decade ago. AND may I also refresh your memory for another valid point!! GNR advertised "an all new show" for their 2020 shows. I eagerly await your reason why GNR should not have had to honour their own advertisement. "guhuh...pandemic... it was a new show, they played HardSkool" 🤣 but we saw the first show of that tour and they didn't change a lick, so... there ya go!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I never said GNR offered that package. 

GNR have repeatedly said how the show is different every night, in almost every interview they've done where they get asked about the tour.

"It's what works best, deal with it" you should be the gnr press secretary🤣 bottom line. 7rs of this show.  SEVEN. YEARS. Just in case you missed that. You seem to think other bands do this, which leads me to believe you go to fuck all other bands😄 I have seen a lot of bands and if I see them two years later, the show is flipped on its head. Changing the order, makes the show interesting and it would help. Adventurous playing more UYI songs, I don't even care so much for this, but it would be nice... like you said there is a limited catalogue.

"Something different/new every leg" you're arguing over crumbs. The show has evolved, ever so slightly. And that's all the leeway I'll give them. You're arguing that these casual fans won't enjoy the show any other way than the way it's currently done? Pat... these casuals only care about hearing the hits, as long as they hear those GNR could open with Garden of Eden and close with My Michelle and it wouldn't matter to them. I am however quite aware why the set is how it is, and 7yrs ago it was great. But again that's nearly a decade ago. AND may I also refresh your memory for another valid point!! GNR advertised "an all new show" for their 2020 shows. I eagerly await your reason why GNR should not have had to honour their own advertisement. "guhuh...pandemic... it was a new show, they played HardSkool" 🤣 but we saw the first show of that tour and they didn't change a lick, so... there ya go!

In the last 7 years? Yeah. Right. They did plenty of interviews in the past 7 years. And even if they said something to that effect, I'm sure for them it's different. Different city, different stadium, different crowd. ;)
Not sure how preferring ISE as opener and PC as closer makes me a press secretary, but whatever. You also think I don't know it's 7 years, despite pointing that out in my last post. And still most countries had them only visit 2 or 3 times. Or even the first time this year. So it doesn't really matter, for that country it's "new". Also you think I haven't seen anyone else, I'm sure I've seen more than you have. No, I never said that, it's you who's arguing that casuals are not enjoying it at all and are as bored as you are, which they aren't because they have other things going on in their life and for them it's new(ish). And luckily you're not in charge of setlists, as starting with Garden of Eden would be the biggest dud imaginable, same as in the fake GNR years, when they started with CD to mostly crickets and then the show really started when they played Jungle. What does false advertising (whoever came up with that "an all new show" line) have to do with how shows/setlist usually are?

14 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

In the last 7 years? Yeah. Right. They did plenty of interviews in the past 7 years. And even if they said something to that effect, I'm sure for them it's different. Different city, different stadium, different crowd. ;)
Not sure how preferring ISE as opener and PC as closer makes me a press secretary, but whatever. You also think I don't know it's 7 years, despite pointing that out in my last post. And still most countries had them only visit 2 or 3 times. Or even the first time this year. So it doesn't really matter, for that country it's "new". Also you think I haven't seen anyone else, I'm sure I've seen more than you have. No, I never said that, it's you who's arguing that casuals are not enjoying it at all and are as bored as you are, which they aren't because they have other things going on in their life and for them it's new(ish). And luckily you're not in charge of setlists, as starting with Garden of Eden would be the biggest dud imaginable, same as in the fake GNR years, when they started with CD to mostly crickets and then the show really started when they played Jungle. What does false advertising (whoever came up with that "an all new show" line) have to do with how shows/setlist usually are?

When did I say casuals are bored? you might need some help reading? never said that. I might have said I'm bored. But never assumed your casual fan isn't being entertained. I understand the "if it ain't broke" system, and GNR continue to sell tickets so that's why gnr do the absolute minimum 

Also I wasn't saying to start with GOE, I was saying they could start with whatever the hell they want, the crowd is so pumped for the first few minutes they don't know what's going on. Also, When I saw GNR the crowd were always into Chinese not sure what gig you were at.

"I've seen more than you have" I didn't realise I was back in secondary school🤣🤣 

And no... they didn't mean new city, new crowd. They even said "we don't have a set-list". But I'm sure you'll say that was never said too😉 Anyway. Pat the defender of the NITL never ending / changing tour, I bid you adieu because this is boring me.

Edited by Tom2112

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

When did I say casuals are bored? you might need some help reading? never said that. I might have said I'm bored. But never assumed your casual fan isn't being entertained. I understand the "if it ain't broke" system, and GNR continue to sell tickets so that's why gnr do the absolute minimum 

Also I wasn't saying to start with GOE, I was saying they could start with whatever the hell they want, the crowd is so pumped for the first few minutes they don't know what's going on. Also, When I saw GNR the crowd were always into Chinese not sure what gig you were at.

"I've seen more than you have" I didn't realise I was back in secondary school🤣🤣 

Then why are you arguing? The casual fan is happy and there still plenty of fans who go see them all over the world e.g. Tako. And the bored ones like you, obviously are not needed. Not saying it couldn't be better, but I also understand why it is the way it is. If you aren't in secondary school, then why tell me I've seen nothing?? Why would I have this conversation if I saw nothing?

1 hour ago, ruttu69 said:

CD, Madagascar, Street of Dreams, Shackler, Better don’t have enough rasp? :blink:

They don't if you compared them with AFD and UYI.

Better and CD have some rasp, but Madagascar, SOD, Shackler's is minimum to none.

Wait, do you know what rasp is? 

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Legendador said:

Better and CD have some rasp, but Madagascar, SOD, Shackler's is minimum to none.

huh? Madagascar and SOD are full of rasp. Shackler's not so much, but Axl said it was an artistic choice to use the cleaner voice and you know it's true cause Axl's work on Bach's Angel Down solo album kinda proves it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Axl is given a pass for his voice? Really? :lol:

As for why I personally give him a pass: Well, mostly because I find it childish to criticize an old man for what is clearly age-related deterioration of his voice, I never would have expected Axl to be able to continue to sing such highly challenging songs as he got into his 60s. And yes, some singers are able to keep on singing their material perfectly, but again, we age differently, and they might not have such challenging songs to sing anyway. It's kind of like chastising one runner for not being able to keep running at the same speed when he gets into his 40s while other athletes can. Who on earth would do such a thing? :lol: 

I also don't agree that his voice is "piss poor". Granted, that is highly subjective and there is no "correct" opinion on this, but I think he still sings about half of the set more than good enough (It's So Easy, Mr Brownstone, Chinese Democracy, Double Talkin' Jive, Reckless Life, Shadow of Your Love, Absurd, Hard Skool, Sorry, Wichita Lineman, Whole Lotta Rosie, Patience and Don't Cry). 

Maybe he'll give us a pass on the outrageously priced tickets to the gigs then. Oh wait....

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

huh? Madagascar and SOD are full of rasp. Shackler's not so much, but Axl said it was an artistic choice to use the cleaner voice and you know it's true cause Axl's work on Bach's Angel Down solo album kinda proves it.

As always, Rovim, potato/potato, tomato/tomato, you just agree to disagree! You won!

1 hour ago, JimiRose said:

Maybe he'll give us a pass on the outrageously priced tickets to the gigs then. Oh wait....

Aren't the prices pretty well aligned with those for other high-end concert experiences? It is a lot of money (more than I am comfortable paying), sure, but as long as people are willing to shell out that much money I suppose the pricing strategy is sound. 

3 hours ago, Legendador said:

do you know what it is ?

madagascar has it in almost all the vocals, except for some of the high parts and then the lower backing vocals near the end.

It's not a matter of opinion, he's either using distortion or not.

Edited by batatadoce
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, batatadoce said:

do you know what it is ?

madagascar has it in almost all the vocals, except for some of the high parts and then the lower backing vocals near the end.

It's not a matter of opinion, he either using distortion or not.

Great nickname! Ri aqui alto! hahahah

• Haha 2

Watched a little from soundboard show from 2017 on YouTube yesterday, Axl was Axl, up.and down but I was surprised by the band they sounded way better than I remembered... Pretty locked in, especially having heard them in the following years. Axl could still get up there though, but his voice cracks were happening, that was the time to finish the tour and take care of his voice. I think he pushed through because there was dates booked and he didn't want to be the guy taking the blame for cancellations. 

I personally don't think his rasp voice , or range will ever come back . And that's okay. A lot of people sing their lungs out , and don't even get pay attention to his struggling voice . I am glad I got to see his magical voice in 06/07, and in 2016. I've said before in other threads . GNR and Axl will always be my favorite, but for me personally, the time has come ,not bother seeing them live . If you used to see Michael Jordan in his Championship run, would you really want to see him in the Wizards? Maybe, just once . But I would hate that image of a slower older Jordan taking over my memory of a great run . That's how I think of Axl right now . 

5 hours ago, batman007 said:

I personally don't think his rasp voice , or range will ever come back . And that's okay. A lot of people sing their lungs out , and don't even get pay attention to his struggling voice . I am glad I got to see his magical voice in 06/07, and in 2016. I've said before in other threads . GNR and Axl will always be my favorite, but for me personally, the time has come ,not bother seeing them live . If you used to see Michael Jordan in his Championship run, would you really want to see him in the Wizards? Maybe, just once . But I would hate that image of a slower older Jordan taking over my memory of a great run . That's how I think of Axl right now . 

Yeah I tend to agree with u dude. 

I do think, IF, there was ever more new studio recordings he'd absolutely nail the vocals. 

Also I'm not sure he has lost much in regards to his range, more so the rasp within that. His clean voice can still bounce all over the spectrum - it just doesn't sound too hot live particularly in a rock n roll environment, and more specifically GnR environment and expecting that certain tone/rasp. 

5 hours ago, batman007 said:

So I’ve seen Jordan play in his 1.0 and 2.0 Championship runs as well as his seasons with the Wizards…. Even in his twilight years, Jordan was still Jordan-esque… 40+ point nights, triple doubles… make winning shots at the buzzer? All there. Not half assed if phoned in either, but THERE..

I see the point you’re trying to make, but I think MJ is the opposite of what Axl has become… hopefully (and I really mean that) Axl gets a vocal coach who can help him. IMO Jordan ALSO understood when it was time to hang it up once his productivity dropped… just my 2 cents, and observations! 

Edited by IzzysMissy

38 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I am however quite aware why the set is how it is, and 7yrs ago it was great. 

What made the set "great" seven years ago? I mean, the setlist back in 2016 was just a variation upon the setlist they had played in 2014, which was a variation upon the setlist from the previous tour, and so on. The slow evolution of the setlists have been ongoing since, well, forever. They only really change it up a lot when they have new material to play and promote, which is why they are now playing three more recently released songs (Shadow of Your Love, Absurd and Hard Skool). They also recently included Reckless Life, which means that sets in 2022 were far from identical to sets in 2019-2020.

Personally, I don't attend many shows and don't care at all that the sets don't change more from year to year. I am just happy the shows contain more than 20 songs representing all eras of GN'R with some covers thrown in. Even if I attended a show every year I wouldn't have a problem with it, because the sets does change a bit from year to year. 

• Like 1