Axl Voice could have a comeback?

1 minute ago, Billy Cundy said:

Yeah true, they’re hardly rich with harmony… When I’m revisiting rock bands that I listened to as a kid, now I’m a musician I can appreciate the harmonies and vocal arrangements with a bit more of a critical ear. 

Go back and listen to the Aerosmith stuff, right through from 70s to 90s. Steven adds some incredible harmonies. Same goes for VH.

GNR… not so much haha. I genuinely just think Axl stopped listening to Clink after appetite. He thought adding a ‘cool ranch dressing’ bass over dub, and a screechy octave made it sound like ‘Queen’…. It did not.. that’s not harmony…

But Axl's schtick is his screeching wail. That's who he is. In fact, I remember hearing the low and deep Patience and thinking that Guns N'Roses had gotten rid of the screeching wailing singer and replaced him with this Baritone Singer, 🤣. I was stunned to learn that this usually screeching man also sang the low and deep Patience song. 😳

7 minutes ago, Karice said:

But Axl's schtick is his screeching wail. That's who he is. In fact, I remember hearing the low and deep Patience and thinking that Guns N'Roses had gotten rid of the screeching wailing singer and replaced him with this Baritone Singer, 🤣. I was stunned to learn that this usually screeching man also sang the low and deep Patience song. 😳

Yeah agreed actually and to counter my own statement, there were probably a few reasons why he didn’t add more traditional harmony, particularly on Appetite.

1) there wasn’t another singer who had the same range in the band to perform harmonies live (Izzy’s got an ok voice but very different to Ax, duff shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near a microphone)

2) those songs are surprisingly all over the place harmonically. Writing harmony parts for songs that are constantly shifting keys is tricky. There’s a lot of borrowing from parallel the major/minor key in any given section… blue notes galore… 

3) maybe they consciously shunned harmonies because in 1987, that was peak Def Leppard/Poison territory… and Axl could just sing a lead vocal so bloody well. Punk credo in tact! 

UYI is missing it though, there’s a lot more diatonic stuff on those albums that is crying out for some decent vocal arrangements and harmonies.. he used to bang on about Queen enough, you’d think he’d get busy with tracking some nice arrangements and harmonies, especially now he had Roberta/Teddy et al. 

• Like 1

I don't think he'll sound exactly how he used to, but he definitely could sound better than he currently does (constantly winded, clearly out of proper vocal practice, horrible tone) with some effort and training. Although I don't think he will do that so this is the best we're going to get. 

11 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

They basically buried Dizzy in the mix so no clue how he sounds, guessing bad as well

He sang the national anthem at a Broncos game last year, sounded way better than I would’ve expected. https://www.instagram.com/tv/CXsdFmvgLTY/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

But on topic, I think Axl‘s mid range and high pitched rasp are both gone forever. It’s a shame that he doesn’t decide to switch to his baritone voice for most of the set, because it sounded amazing in London. This current lineup is tighter than ever since 2016 imo and if Axl switched to baritone, they’d be a real force in a live setting

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B5Redeye said:

I’ll post this here since it’s kind of on topic.

I wonder if some of it is he tries to over song at big venues. Listening to my recording of Estranged at the Hard Rock last year compared to other venues it’s apples and oranges.

Any thoughts on this?

Lots of Singers tend to oversing at live Concerts. The Studio Version is usually relaxed as they are singing in a little room in private, not live in front of hundreds or   thousands or even hundreds of thousands of Fans who paid to see them. So the Singer tends to have the ,"I have to oversing to give my Fans their money's worth!" And when you're a Singer like Axl who already sounds like he is oversinging in his STUDIO albums, it becomes all that more important to oversing even more when he is live. 

1 hour ago, Freightrain said:

You know the bee gees right ? That's what falsetto is.

Yep, Bee Gees is the epitome of Falsetto (Very high voice). 😀 Axl does sing with a high pitched voice, but it's also raspy like Janis Joplin. I think the only time Axl sings in a true Falsetto is the word  "true," from IRS. That's a Falsetto or very close to it. 

On 9/12/2022 at 6:28 PM, Blackstar said:

Yeah, like I said in a similar thread a while back (and without being a vocal expert by any means), I think his signature voice in the high and mid register is gone. It's not just the "rasp" that is gone, but his clean voice in these registers has also deteriorated in power and tone with age. Although many people don't like his clean vocals on CD (e.g. on Catcher in the Rye), his voice was still powerful and had that recognizable "Axl tone" and "texture". Whereas now his clean voice comes out as this thin "Mickey" thing, which has gotten thinner and thinner, and subsequently the "rasp" in these registers, when he pushes for it, comes out unhealthy and forced.

He hasn't lost any power and tone in his natural register though, so he can still sound great by using that more often.

Would you agree that he was starting to lose his range / voice even as far back as 93? Towards the end of the UYI tour it sounded very thin and strained. 

59 minutes ago, AxlRQ93 said:

Would you agree that he was starting to lose his range / voice even as far back as 93? Towards the end of the UYI tour it sounded very thin and strained. 

I guess his voice was tired then from the extending touring, but I don't know if we could go as far to say that he was starting to lose his range.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 10:47 PM, darkside259 said:

We witnes the fenix nature of Axl voice in 2006/10 when he went full god mode, and then again in 16s  we saw the fenix with AXL/DC n GNR.

Now we facing a dark time for Axl in terms of vocal range and this could be atributed to the extension of the tour, some might said is becouse the voice is "shot" due to the "way of sing" or "technique" Axl used all this years an in specific  16s with AXL/DC, That this could be terminal to his vocal chords  but if this were true....  is permanent? 

migh be a way for Axl to gaing back his signature voice? an operation? rest? time? 

we saw Axl in darks times and the people give him for death in terms of voice like in 2001 or 2013/14.

i know the actual state of axl s voice is worst than ever, but could be a rebirth? a fenix era again?  

the death of his all life vocal coach Ron Anderson doesn t help to the matter but is another coach in contact with Axl? 

i personally think that Axl is a rocky case and always has surprises under his many hats.

If 2013 was a dark period then 2016 through to present day has been dark periods. Listen to Jungle from 2013, he sounds as good as 2016... better in my opinion.

As for his voice, sure he could get it in better condition. He can still hit the high notes and the low notes... it's just a case of specific exercises over a prolonged period with the right coach to get his voice back to where it has been in the past. He will never sing like 1993, 2006, 2010 again, that just isn't on the cards... but it's not out of the question to get some 2016 quality vocals again. I would be totally pleased if he got there or even 2017. He let it slip and now he's come up with ways to sing around tricky parts, but the things he does don't good or just sound like they would be sore to do (how he sings CD, Nightrain etc).

Good coach and motivated Axl and his voice can make a decent comeback, the Phoenix can rise one more time. I would love if he got his voice back over the next few months to a year and then they mounted a long farewell tour, It would be amazing if they left on a high note. I know some will say that selling out stadiums 40yrs in is a high note, but I'm specifically talking about the quality of music being delivered... sometimes it's ok, most times it's hard to listen to. Not saying I want them to retire, I just don't want this downward slope to not continue. He's not at the Jon Bon Jovi singing way off pitch and time moment, but he's also not that far out of sight of JBJ.

I kinda thought after the euro tour vocal issues that he had been given a bit of a news flash, but he came back to this tour exactly as he always does... I think it's possible, but it's not likely that Axl is going to get one last wind where his voice sounds good live... here and there? sure, but no level of consistency without serious efforts. And I'm not saying Axl doesn't try, but the trying seems to be limited to when he's on stage. The voice is a muscle, you don't use it, it gets weaker... simple as.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

If 2013 was a dark period then 2016 through to present day has been dark periods. Listen to Jungle from 2013, he sounds as good as 2016... better in my opinion.

As for his voice, sure he could get it in better condition. He can still hit the high notes and the low notes... it's just a case of specific exercises over a prolonged period with the right coach to get his voice back to where it has been in the past. He will never sing like 1993, 2006, 2010 again, that just isn't on the cards... but it's not out of the question to get some 2016 quality vocals again. I would be totally pleased if he got there or even 2017. He let it slip and now he's come up with ways to sing around tricky parts, but the things he does don't good or just sound like they would be sore to do (how he sings CD, Nightrain etc).

Good coach and motivated Axl and his voice can make a decent comeback, the Phoenix can rise one more time. I would love if he got his voice back over the next few months to a year and then they mounted a long farewell tour, It would be amazing if they left on a high note. I know some will say that selling out stadiums 40yrs in is a high note, but I'm specifically talking about the quality of music being delivered... sometimes it's ok, most times it's hard to listen to. Not saying I want them to retire, I just don't want this downward slope to not continue. He's not at the Jon Bon Jovi singing way off pitch and time moment, but he's also not that far out of sight of JBJ.

I kinda thought after the euro tour vocal issues that he had been given a bit of a news flash, but he came back to this tour exactly as he always does... I think it's possible, but it's not likely that Axl is going to get one last wind where his voice sounds good live... here and there? sure, but no level of consistency without serious efforts. And I'm not saying Axl doesn't try, but the trying seems to be limited to when he's on stage. The voice is a muscle, you don't use it, it gets weaker... simple as.

Thanks, i think the same. Axl could take half a year to really improve his voice or maybe more time, i belive in him 🙌🏻