Axl Voice could have a comeback?

19 hours ago, Majestic Beast said:

When he tried to sing live IRS back in 2006,it was such a difficult moment for him to sing the high notes,so after some concerts the song blacklisted from setlist.

It was performed quite a fair amount (57 times) in 2006 according to setlistfm and 20 times in 2010 so I don’t think it was ‘blacklisted’. Maybe just felt it was too much of a strain and maybe felt it didn’t get much of a reaction that was worth the effort. 🤷🏻‍♂️

20 hours ago, Majestic Beast said:

When he did ac/dc tour his voice wasn't into that bad condition,he damaged his vocals and the band has signed tour,so he couldn't say oh i can't sing,let's cancel the tour,too late.

These damaged chords to recover may need months of therapy,vocal coaching and healthy lifestyle,that axl not followed so far.

When he tried to sing live IRS back in 2006,it was such a difficult moment for him to sing the high notes,so after some concerts the song blacklisted from setlist.

It reminds bonjovi vocal issues,you see him struggling even in low notes to perform.

Today I learned something new. I assumed that IRS didn't exist in 2006 yet,it was released in 2008. I originally wrote,"IRS wasn't released in 2096. It was released in 2008. I went to Google and Google confirmed that IRS was released in 2008."

I then decided to search,"When was IRS by Guns N'Roses first performed and it confirmed IRS was first performed in 2006. 😀

But some Woman named Jennifer made a COMPLETELY false Article about IRS being released in APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION ALBUM, WTF? 😳😱🧐😐🤨😬😵‍💫

https://oldtimemusic.com/the-meaning-behind-the-song-i-r-s-by-guns-n-roses/

I can't believe her completely false Article about IRS being released in Appetite For Destruction Album is on Google's front page when you look up what year IRS by Guns N'Roses was released🙄🧐🤨😬😵‍💫😱 If anything, it should have been on like Google's FIFTH page, a page that doesn't usually get much attention. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2023 at 3:21 PM, Legendador said:

He chooses to sing like this, he needs to have his voice for a 3 hour concert almost every night for 7 years.

It is a conscient decision not to use or overuse the rasp.

He recorded Chi Dem without the rasp so it wouldn't sound so different live.

Also, compare it with the ACDC concerts. They were 1h30 hour long concerts and he was full on rasp.

I used to think this, but nowadays I genuinely think the rasp is almost entirely beyond him. 

Whenever Axl goes for the rasp nowadays, it's a horrible forced rasp that sounds really bad. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

He chooses to sing in falsetto as it probably hurts nowadays to sing in his regular old-fashioned rapsy voice. With proper a proper vocal coach, he could easily go back if he hasn’t severely damaged his vocal chords at some point.

It's now way beyond "rasp Vs. mickey". His voice in the higher register has weakened to the point that it can't be projected unless he's screaming. The difference is apparent in the volume of his voice when he sings in his lower register or screams as opposed to just singing with this thin falsetto or whatever that is. And I don't think it's a mix issue. Judging from videos from other shows, it seems that it was only partially the fault of the BBC at Glastonbury.

I'm not an expert, of course, but just from the sound of it I don't think it's repairable. I really think that if there was anything more to do with vocal coaches etc. Axl would have done it, and he's just doing what he can with what he has left from his high register at this point.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

It's now way beyond "rasp Vs. mickey". His voice in the higher register has weakened to the point that it can't be projected unless he's screaming. The difference is apparent in the volume of his voice when he sings in his lower register or screams as opposed to just singing with this thin falsetto or whatever that is. And I don't think it's a mix issue. Judging from videos from other shows, it seems that it was only partially the fault of the BBC at Glastonbury.

I'm not an expert, of course, but just from the sound of it I don't think it's repairable. I really think that if there was anything more to do with vocal coaches etc. Axl would have done it, and he's just doing what he can with what he has left from his high register at this point.

This is what I assume as well. After seeing him this year in person theirs parts where he’s singing and he can’t hit those notes so while he’s trying just nothing is coming out or it’s very low. Seems that certain parts of his vocal chords are damaged and its like he’s singing every night with a severe cold or something 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

I doubt Axl has done anything to preserve his voice. He's spent most of NITL screeching and sounding quite unhealthy (2017 was a great year for this). So if his voice is screwed then it's his own fault.

We don't know what Axl has done or does for practice and voice preservation, so we can only speculate (whether or not he goes to soundcheck is irrelevant, because it's not practice). People who know what they're talking about have explained that he knows how to use vocal techniques, so it's not that he is not trained.

2017 was definitely a hectic year with many shows (following 2016 where he played shows with both GN'R and AC/DC) that probably took its toll on him regardless of whether he preserved his voice or not, as he's not getting any younger.

I continue to be optimistic about his voice, which may be foolish of me.

I thought the voice was gone in 2014 and not to return…but then 2016 proved me wrong.

I agree with what blackstar stated though - something’s clearly wrong. I just think that there’s a solution.

• Like 1

My and (maybe an overanalysis lol) 

Any possibility of Axl going back to 2016 rasp even just for a couple of songs per show is completely gone and i think most of us have just accepted that there is no point of return.

I believe it's time to rate his performances based on how good he "mickey-s" his way trough a set, instead of how raspy he sounds.

There is for example, a considerable difference for today's standards between Rock in Rio 2022 (almost unlistenable), and Glastonbury (very solid except for YCBM, bad mix aside).

Now I'm also not an expert and i've never sang in my life. But i've noticed a significant improvement (again, for today's standards) when he does the following: More "aggressive" or "meaner" style of enunciating some words of key parts of songs, no matter if he uses falsetto or not, and that also includes shortening some words to avoid extending high notes as well, currently he does this but no so often:

Hard Skool during 2023 - (Abu Dhabi is a good example): He is using the ugly falsetto for the whole song, but to compare it with the 2021 shows, it seems that he has mastered how to sound good during certain parts of the song despite the Mickey voice: First, "All cautions made" ("meaner" style of singing w/ falsetto), then, the "No effort spared" & "A storm is lifting" parts (compare that to Baltimore 2021 and other shows of that tour and you'll notice how he shortens some of the words to avoid sustaining the high notes, and also how he "shapes" them to sound in a different way, with very good results). 

Jungle sometimes - (With Carrie underwood in LA is a good example because he does this very rarely): I know he probably pushed it a bit for a one off performance, but he was still far from 2016. However... During "We are the people that can find, whatever you may need" is he using the Nightrain voice? That's day and night to how he sounds on tour. Same for "And you're a very sexy girl". He did this at the end of 2021 in some shows and sounded really good. 

So, If only he could regularly use that HS kind of style for the "Welcome to the jungle, we got fun and games" line and some other songs: YCBM, RQ, NR, PC.. maybe we wouldn't have that many embarrassing moments where casuals or the general public notices that he has "lost it".

That's the only positive development i can see regarding his voice that can be expected in future tours, but it's just my opinion, also i should point out that like most people say, the shows are not meant to be watched trough a shitty android Facebook stream, when you are there as soon as the show starts, you can forget about all of the bullshit above lol, almost nobody cares, specially if there's alcohol around, that's the reality as well.

• Like 1

I asked this a few months back but anyone know if he’s been linked to any vocal coach since his passed away? Ron Anderson was a big deal and he worked with Axl since the 90s I believe. Obv none of us know for sure, but I can’t imagine with proper vocal training that any human (esp a professional singer) couldn’t be one stronger and more in control.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2023 at 4:07 AM, TheGeneral said:

I just wonder why he can't go back to the clean voice. It sounded pretty good but has been gone since at least 2014.

There's a huge difference between Mickey and the clean voice.

Isn't the Mickey voice the same as a clean voice? 🤔

6 hours ago, Karice said:

Isn't the Mickey voice the same as a clean voice? 🤔

yes and no. its a clean voice that sounds really weak and in a way like a mouse. also with a clean voice Axl gets more power in his voice to use a small amount of rasp but a mickey voice is more likely to crack and sound horrific.

2 minutes ago, JAxlMorrison said:

He sounded really good live last night in Hershey. 

Yep. Agreed. One of the best shows of 2023 vocal wise.

2 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

As hit-or-miss as Axl is, at least he hasn't resorted to... whatever the fuck is going on with Baz.

Shit! Sebastian baching track now! I guess that's why he's not invited for Michelle these days! 🫤

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...
6 hours ago, JimiRose said:

https://planetradio.co.uk/planet-rock/news/rock-news/jon-bon-jovi-voice/?fbclid=IwAR0G7F-SljTE7_j0QOMLsPWGqerLfPiNtXOEN3lrv7IJ3z-Fod_yGHrO7HQ 

Do we think Axl would ever come out and say this. JBJ has admitted he couldn't sing anymore and also the reason for it, he's now had this drastic surgery to try to get back to his best and if it doesnt work, he won't fleece the fans with him not being able to sing. Should Axl try something similar 

ps. please no one jump in and say Axls voice is fine he sounds great blah blah, it's shot to pieces unless singing baritone. obv age plays a part but if he could get back to 2010 levels that would be incredible, so hopefully he does acknowledge the issue and then try to fix it, especially with GnR talking at least 12-18 months off. what better time?

Jon Bon Jovi addresses vocal issues and vows not to tour unless he sounds 'great'

"If I can't be great, I'm out"

Saw that interview a day ago and I think it was very transparent from JBJ to talk about that. Of course I think about Axl doing something like that (vocal surgery).

but, I don’t believe the “I won’t tour anymore if my voice isn’t back” cause, in the same interview, he said that he’s been dealing with vocal issues for almost 10 years. 

9 hours ago, JimiRose said:

https://planetradio.co.uk/planet-rock/news/rock-news/jon-bon-jovi-voice/?fbclid=IwAR0G7F-SljTE7_j0QOMLsPWGqerLfPiNtXOEN3lrv7IJ3z-Fod_yGHrO7HQ 

Do we think Axl would ever come out and say this. JBJ has admitted he couldn't sing anymore and also the reason for it, he's now had this drastic surgery to try to get back to his best and if it doesnt work, he won't fleece the fans with him not being able to sing. Should Axl try something similar 

ps. please no one jump in and say Axls voice is fine he sounds great blah blah, it's shot to pieces unless singing baritone. obv age plays a part but if he could get back to 2010 levels that would be incredible, so hopefully he does acknowledge the issue and then try to fix it, especially with GnR talking at least 12-18 months off. what better time?

Jon Bon Jovi addresses vocal issues and vows not to tour unless he sounds 'great'

"If I can't be great, I'm out"

JBJ didn't seem like he could sing anything in any part of his range.  Videos I've watched sounded like bad Karaoke.  Axl doesn't sound like he did 30 years ago but at least a decent part of his range is recognizable.   I'm not sure Axl's issues are the same.  It might just be age related degradation and changing of the vocal chords, not necessarily damage.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 12:53 AM, Blackstar said:

The most telling sign of the deterioration is that he can't even sustain his voice on songs like Jungle. Some people believe that it's because of lack of effort and training (and generally of not taking care of his voice). However, considering that he can sing on key, and with a lot of power and control, in his lower register, it's clear to me that lack of practice is not the case; he just can't sing beyond his natural register any more. So it's not a situation comparable to Bon Jovi's who can't sing at all (although, to be fair, that's just based on the few videos of JBJ I've seen, since I don't follow him, so I'm not sure if they're representative of his current state).

I think believing that Axl still has it but doesn't bring it because he doesn't do what he needs to is just as "copium" as saying that he sounds good.

Currently I agree, he can't sing in his usual trademark pitches without sounding weak. But (assuming he is as fit as a fiddle) you would be incorrect in thinking that a vocal rehabilitation coach couldn't get Axls voice back to a stronger position and possibly even regain certain notes that he has lost (even at 62). I'm mostly talking about a more clean vocal approach here, not necessarily his trademark rasp... but if everything was strong then that would also improve.

You can't turn the clock back fully. However there are many cases of singers who have lost their voices or  have "sang bad" for years only to find their voices again. The magic ingredient there is desire. Those singers had the desire to regain their voices and got help to get it back. Does Axl believe his voice is as bad as people say? I think he realises that it isn't what it used to be, but I think (without any evidence beyond my ears) he accepts that it's just age and that by doing his warm up/down exercises he's doing everything that can be done to maintain his voice. I can say with complete certainty that if Axl worked with a vocal rehab coach for the rest of the year a each week, by the time we hear him next year he would be a totally different singer to the last few years with far greater control and power... again that's assuming  there is no health reason why his voice has degraded. 

On 8/12/2023 at 10:41 PM, colonizedmind said:

Shit! Sebastian baching track now! I guess that's why he's not invited for Michelle these days! 

It is the bass player, on his left, singing backup vocals. You can see (and hear) it very clearly. 

Edited by jekylhyde
  • Like 1