Axl Voice could have a comeback?

A dude above suggested that Axl should stop doing 3 hours setlist cause it's too much,i have to agree,he don't need to push the voice to the limits,less covers,coach voice lessons during the break of every tour etc.

That was a year before,it seems that Axl haven't yet recovered from these vocal issues.

Axl Rose Addresses Health Issues, Working With Vocal Coach

https://loudwire.com/guns-n-roses-axl-rose-addresses-health-issues-vocal-coach/

Edited by Majestic Beast

13 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Aren't the prices pretty well aligned with those for other high-end concert experiences? It is a lot of money (more than I am comfortable paying), sure, but as long as people are willing to shell out that much money I suppose the pricing strategy is sound. 

But you have openly stated his voice isn't what it was. It is pretty much aligned with metallica and the motley crue def leppard tours, but Motley hadnt toured in 7 years, metallica have a new album and have no obvious decline at all in their show. GnR have the same show, sung worse with less pyro. you are willing to give the performer a pass but still accepting of paying top tier pricing, that's some real cognitive dissonance. 

If your plumber increased his cost but gave you a worse job, would you give him a pass? Why is Axl Rose getting this pass?

Just now, JimiRose said:

But you have openly stated his voice isn't what it was. It is pretty much aligned with metallica and the motley crue def leppard tours, but Motley hadnt toured in 7 years, metallica have a new album and have no obvious decline at all in their show. GnR have the same show, sung worse with less pyro. you are willing to give the performer a pass but still accepting of paying top tier pricing, that's some real cognitive dissonance. 

That doesn't mean I don't think the shows as a whole is great value for money. They play for almost 3 hours. I would definitely consider GN'R shows to belong to the absolute top-tier of current concert experiences, even with Axl not being able to sing all songs as great as before.

Regardless, the market will respond to whether they have priced the shows too high or not. From the looks of it right now, I don't think we can conclude that they have made a pricing blunder.

Just now, SoulMonster said:

That doesn't mean I don't think the shows as a whole is great value for money. They play for almost 3 hours. I would definitely consider GN'R shows to belong to the absolute top-tier of current concert experiences, even with Axl not being able to sing all songs as great as before.

Regardless, the market will respond to whether they have priced the shows too high or not. From the looks of it right now, I don't think we can conclude that they have made a pricing blunder.

The market dictates for sure, but a we know people are stupid. You keep telling them the going rate is this for a ticket, eventually they accept it, then they believe it, then they except it. Look at fuel costs. Gas, Petrol and diesel prices are lower than pre russia-ukraine, but still we are paying the higher rate. there was uproar, then we rolled over and let the big companies rake in the profit. 

The point is, we shouldn't just accept it. We should demand the best show. 3 hours is great, but an hour of that is covers and solos. half of the other 2 hours axl struggles. so you're only getting 60 minutes worth of value for money. We as the fans should be making it clear we demand more in the current climate to take our hard earned money. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

The point is, we shouldn't just accept it. We should demand the best show. 3 hours is great, but an hour of that is covers and solos. half of the other 2 hours axl struggles. so you're only getting 60 minutes worth of value for money. We as the fans should be making it clear we demand more in the current climate to take our hard earned money. 

Sure, but "we fans" is not a homogenic group. You don't speak for all of us, nor do I.  Many fans accept the prices without any second thoughts. What we are left to do is make individual choices based on our own personal opinion. So if you think the ticket price is too high, just don't attend the shows. That sends a strong individual message, but a message that will be completely drowned out by the decision of the thousands of people who will pay the cost and attend the shows. What I am saying is, you don't speak for all of us and your opinion don't matter to the band unless it is shared by sufficiently many others. 

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Sure, but "we fans" is not a homogenic group. You don't speak for all of us, nor do I.  Many fans accept the prices without any second thoughts. What we are left to do is make individual choices based on our own personal opinion. So if you think the ticket price is too high, just don't attend the shows. That sends a strong individual message, but a message that will be completely drowned out by the decision of the thousands of people who will pay the cost and attend the shows. What I am saying is, you don't speak for all of us and your opinion don't matter to the band unless it is shared by sufficiently many others. 

Ticket sales so far suggest a lot more agree with me now than they did several years ago. but i guess 75% sold will still turn a tidy profit for all concerned so why care about the fan. 

• Like 1

Just now, JimiRose said:

Ticket sales so far suggest a lot more agree with me now than they did several years ago. but i guess 75% sold will still turn a tidy profit for all concerned so why care about the fan. 

Yeah, I would think in today's economic climate that less people will be happy to shell out the ticket costs, but, as you say, there are still likely enough willing to pay what it costs.

The "why care about the fan" argument can be used irrespective of what price they set, because there will always be some fans who can't pay tickets and will feel excluded, unless they decided to simply give out tickets for free. I don't necessarily think that fans who can't afford the tickets are more fans than those who can. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Yeah, I would think in today's economic climate that less people will be happy to shell out the ticket costs, but, as you say, there are still likely enough willing to pay what it costs.

The "why care about the fan" argument can be used irrespective of what price they set, because there will always be some fans who can't pay tickets and will feel excluded, unless they decided to simply give out tickets for free. I don't necessarily think that fans who can't afford the tickets are more fans than those who can. 

It's more to do with value for money. if you charge the top rate in pricing, you should be getting the top rate in show quality. I don't some people will still have a good time at GnR, I would, even knowing the setlist, and hearing the vocal, but that does not mean it is a good show that shouldn't be better. It will certainly be interesting to see how they all sell by gig time. 

3 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

It's more to do with value for money. if you charge the top rate in pricing, you should be getting the top rate in show quality. I don't some people will still have a good time at GnR, I would, even knowing the setlist, and hearing the vocal, but that does not mean it is a good show that shouldn't be better. It will certainly be interesting to see how they all sell by gig time. 

Again, highly subjective. Some people wouldn't even pay top money to see GN'R back in their heyday, some people pay money to see Justin Bieber, some people think GN'R anno 2023 is definitely worth the money, most disagree. I mean, there is no objective truth here. Those who pay the price and attend the shows are obviously of the opinion that it is worth it.

And yes, the shows could be better, of course, every show can in theory be better. But many people think it is good value for money: you do get to see legends like Axl and Slash up on stage, they play for almost 3 hours, they play all the famous hits, you can talk about it around the water cooler next day at work, you trade cash for cultural capital. Or in the case of us actual fans of the band: it is still a kick-ass rock show with your favorite band. At least that's how I look at it. 

Prices are crazy for all shows. It all depends on personal preference. I’ve been a diehard GNR fan since Appetite came out. I saw them 3x btw 91-93. I saw them a couple of times as NuGNR and 2x since ‘16. I wouldn’t pay what they’re asking at this point. I just don’t value the experience enough anymore. Same for Dave Matthews Band. I’ve seen them tons of times but balked when I saw the prices for this summer. Foo Fighters had a presale yesterday and I didn’t blink spending $380 (incl fees) on tickets. 

1 hour ago, Trin9498 said:

Prices are crazy for all shows. It all depends on personal preference. I’ve been a diehard GNR fan since Appetite came out. I saw them 3x btw 91-93. I saw them a couple of times as NuGNR and 2x since ‘16. I wouldn’t pay what they’re asking at this point. I just don’t value the experience enough anymore. Same for Dave Matthews Band. I’ve seen them tons of times but balked when I saw the prices for this summer. Foo Fighters had a presale yesterday and I didn’t blink spending $380 (incl fees) on tickets. 

I also think concert prices have increased too much over the last...decades. I guess with album sales revenues shrinking artists try to recuperate the losses from concerts and merch and so on. It is just not my cup of tea, I am not a big concert goer. 

3 hours ago, JimiRose said:

If your plumber increased his cost but gave you a worse job, would you give him a pass? Why is Axl Rose getting this pass?

Do we know a reason for no pyro? I'm a fan of a small setting with no pyrotechnics. But for a big setting like this tour , I love them ! I was used to seeing them with pryo . They charge an arm and a leg for the prices already. Why not ? I guess more money in their pockets than possibly a bigger show . 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, batman007 said:

Do we know a reason for no pyro? I'm a fan of a small setting with no pyrotechnics. But for a big setting like this tour , I love them ! I was used to seeing them with pryo . They charge an arm and a leg for the prices already. Why not ? I guess more money in their pockets than possibly a bigger show . 

My guess is they wanted to minimize staff required during Covid, and as pyro isn't necessary for the show it's an easy one to cut out, plus they probably save on insurance by not having it as accidents can happen. 

I miss it a bit, especially for Live And Let Die, and at the end of the show when all the confetti comes down. I wish I could re-live 2011 Chicago and 2012 Detroit. Amazing shows! That band was on fire. 2016 and 2021 were fun too.

• Like 1

If Axl rellly put the hard work in place I'm sure he could get his voice back to near 2016 era level which was probably the most balanced between the punishing rasp and a cleaner yet  strong voice. But he'll probably be his lazy self as usual and just start singing at the beginning of the tour struggling for a few shows...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To the fans ragging and dragging Axl's current and recent voice, I wonder what would happen if he decides in 2023 to lipsynch his old vocals from say 1991 to appease the fans but still dance very energetically like he usually does. 🤔 Would fans be all,🤘 about him lipsynching his old vocals from 1991 to appease them or would they be like 🤢?

Edited by Karice

I think that the only way for Axl to sound good and also natural, is to start singing in his baritone voice... and really work on that part. And just stop the high pitched screaming.

The old high pitched screaming with rasp is gone for good. And it's also really bad for his voice. At this point I'd rather have him sing well in his lower voice than sound like Mickey Mouse.

It would be better for my ears as well :lol: Unfortunately I have tinnitus and high pitched sounds make it worse.

• Like 2

On 3/1/2023 at 12:14 PM, Trin9498 said:

Prices are crazy for all shows.

Yep... it's not worth it anymore. Which is also why I like seeing lesser known bands at smaller venues. The whole experience is nicer and it's cheaper too.

Edited by Lethalis

On 2/28/2023 at 7:43 PM, SoulMonster said:

Aren't the prices pretty well aligned with those for other high-end concert experiences? It is a lot of money (more than I am comfortable paying), sure, but as long as people are willing to shell out that much money I suppose the pricing strategy is sound. 

Whats the situation for bands like GNR?

Do they get a flat fee per show or is there add-ons/take-offs dependent on ticket sales?

Wondering what people think?

On 3/13/2023 at 1:44 PM, CAFC Nick said:

If you had told me back in 2014 that 2 years later Axl would front AC/DC and absolutely kill it (best gig I've ever seen) I would never have believed you, so while I think its very unlikely it's not impossible.

This is great to imagine, but time flies. that was 7 years ago. a 54 year old turning it on one last time for a dream gig with acdc and a slash reunion. yeah, that can happen. A 61 year old into year 8 of the never ending repetitive tour, in which he hasn't sounded good for the the last 5 of them, no chance that can happen. As evidenced by the one song he did with Carrie Underwood yday. Sounded 'ok' in parts, but for a one off one song performance with no need to preserve his voice, it just proved he does not have that ability anymore. 

• Sad 1

• 4 months later...

Don't make excuses about Axl vocals,he fucked up,it's his own fault,3 hours setlists,tour with ac/dc,tour then with gnr continuesly for reunion tour,i've read so many vocal coaches out there who discusses Axl's vocal issues,he can't hit high notes in most songs,his low are good but that's not enough,the guy looks he has damaged his vocal chords in a way he can't recover easily,it's common with other singers too such as bonjovi,paul stanley,nikki sixx,geof tatte,david coverdale with issues at high notes,screamings etc.

Case is he should do something,it's disrespect and unexpectable,he can't continue to perform that way like there is no problem.

When he did ac/dc tour his voice wasn't into that bad condition,he damaged his vocals and the band has signed tour,so he couldn't say oh i can't sing,let's cancel the tour,too late.

These damaged chords to recover may need months of therapy,vocal coaching and healthy lifestyle,that axl not followed so far.

When he tried to sing live IRS back in 2006,it was such a difficult moment for him to sing the high notes,so after some concerts the song blacklisted from setlist.

It reminds bonjovi vocal issues,you see him struggling even in low notes to perform.