Should GNR have called it quits after AFD? 🤔

Multiple Fans have said they think that GNR should have been a one album wonder, and just had Appetite For Destruction Album as their sole album, a one album hit wonder. I remember on the now Defunct Guns N'Roses Fan Website they also said that. I remember posting something like,"How could you guys think that GNR should have had only AFD Album as their sole album? There'd be no Patience, no Coma, no November Rain, no Perfect Crime, no IRS, etc, if AFD were the sole album. The reply was something like,"And that's a BAD thing? GNR went downhill fast after AFD. There would have been no going down if AFD was the sole album. That Website soon went Defunct. I don't think GNR should have only had AFD Album as a sole album. We would have missed out on a lot of good songs if AFD was the sole album. 🤔

No offence, but what a fucking pointless topic. GN'R stops when they want to fucking stop. we can choose to listen/ follow or not.  There is no 'should have' it's not our livelihood or our business. It's their right to do artistically what ever they want for as long as they want. Don't like it? vote with your pocket and move onto something else. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, t-p-d-a said:

Why stop with bunch of new material? Makes no sense

Although I could well imagine Axl Rose in the theater as a musical stage actor in the 90s.

Jumping in the crowd full of wooden chairs would have hurt, though. 

"Hey, take that motherfucker's opera glasses!"

• Haha 2

I'm definitely an AFD guy. And for them to go one and done and call it quits in 88 would have been incredible. But...even if the music doesn't resonate with me as much, I wouldn't want to miss Lies, the UYI saga, TSI, the whole batshit Chinese period...

I'd even miss the madness of spending seven years checking daily to see if the obscenely well resourced rock band known as Guns N Roses have bothered to record even. one. measly. fucking. song?! 

1 hour ago, t-p-d-a said:

Why stop with bunch of new material? Makes no sense

Although I could well imagine Axl Rose in the theater as a musical stage actor in the 90s.

Sebastian Bach was an actor on Broadway. They could be Broadway buddies!

3 hours ago, Stress Fracture said:

‘86-‘93 was a classic if cautionary rock n roll tale. GNR needed the UYI era and tour (as well as surviving grunge by refusing to bow to it) to secure its legendary status.

Yeah, I agree that the stuff after AFD helped cement them into legendary status. AFD was very cool and amazing and put GnR up there, and the UYI followup kept them there and blazed them even bigger. Plus it's cool to have those UYI music videos. And dolphins!

I think the entire story of Guns N' Roses wouldn't be the same without all the stuff that happened after AFD. There's something opulent, strange, fascinating, about the band and its history. Axl and everyone else in the band splitting up or adding new members to the band, Axl in hiding, Guns N Roses coming back with a whole bunch of new members and probably bewildering the public, Velvet Revolver, taking ages to do Chinese Democracy and the anticipation for its release, the release of Chinese Democracy and Axl trying to fly with the new band and album, but it wasn't taking off massively compared to previous entries in GnR, then the grand reunion with some of the old members after being told it won't happen in Axl's lifetime, being on a really really long tour and only releasing Absurd and Hardskool, the massive Chinese Democracy Leaks.

I really want to see what's next in the story of Guns N Roses!

If GnR split up straight after AFD, what would have even happened anyway? Everyone goes solo? The members all join different bands? Some of the former members are together in their own band, and some of the others are solo or joined other bands? I wonder how musical history would have been affected if the members of GnR dispersed and entered other bands...

If GnR split up after AFD because the members died from drugs or suicide attempts or got killed, that would've been really depressing. People would always be wondering "what if"?

Plus if GnR ended after AFD, so many people would be going "hey that one album was so awesome, why'd you guys split up!?"

I'm glad we get to live in the situation where we get to hear what comes after AFD!

Edited by BucketEgg
  • Like 1

• downzy locked this topic