The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

But seriously, why can't GN'R be as prolific as Sun Ra? He released up to 159 albums. Why can't we have that?! Why should the fans of Sun Ra (assuming there is any) have so much more than us? Why? Why? Why oh why!? 

I think the point people make here Mr S.Monster, is not that GnR have to be particularly prolific in their releases, just that they have to release something. I wouldn't say metallica or RHCP are 'Prolific'. an album every 5/6 years? tends to be there cycle since early 00s. If GnR did that, there'd be no moaning. 1 album in 30 years though.... the same tour for 7 years straight. I know GnR can do no wrong in you or jarmo or SoE eyes, but actually they're quite shit. in terms of post 2011. 

We can all be fans of what GnR were and we all spend our money and time on the band, so the 'If you don't like it, fuck off' argument doesnt wash. We're invested. As paying fans it also gives us the right to criticize the product. If I came here and never seen the band or given them a penny and said they were shit, then I'm the asshole. If I have seen them 14x and have a tattoo on my leg of the AFD cross then I have every right to say they're a bunch of money grabbing cunts if that's what i perceive them to be. And that is because they are. You have every right to say they aren't. But you would be very very very wrong. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JimiRose said:

I think the point people make here Mr S.Monster, is not that GnR have to be particularly prolific in their releases, just that they have to release something. I wouldn't say metallica or RHCP are 'Prolific'. an album every 5/6 years? tends to be there cycle since early 00s. If GnR did that, there'd be no moaning. 1 album in 30 years though.... the same tour for 7 years straight. I know GnR can do no wrong in you or jarmo or SoE eyes, but actually they're quite shit. in terms of post 2011. 

We can all be fans of what GnR were and we all spend our money and time on the band, so the 'If you don't like it, fuck off' argument doesnt wash. We're invested. As paying fans it also gives us the right to criticize the product. If I came here and never seen the band or given them a penny and said they were shit, then I'm the asshole. If I have seen them 14x and have a tattoo on my leg of the AFD cross then I have every right to say they're a bunch of money grabbing cunts if that's what i perceive them to be. And that is because they are. You have every right to say they aren't. But you would be very very very wrong. 

Don't give me that shit about being "invested". Every penny you have spent on GN'R has been reciprocated in either music, merch or live experiences. They don't owe you anything because you fail to grasp the simple principle of trading money for products. What you are is emotionally invested because you have spent time thinking about the band, spent time "defending" the band, even gotten yourself a GN'R tattoo, spent time reading about the band, basically spent time being a fan, and now you think this means they owe you something. But they don't. This is just you acting entitled because you have decided to waste time on a rock and roll band. 

They don't do anything wrong in my eyes? :lol: Well, I would have preferred it they had released the follow-up back in 2010 so maybe Josh, Bucket and Robin would have remained in the band, I would have preferred they had stopped touring in 2012 and then focused on new music, I would have preferred if they had not reunited with Slash and Duff, I would have preferred they had released a third album in 2014 or so. So no, I don't agree with what they do as you so laughable have come to think, in fact I don't agree with most decisions made by the band. And you would have known this if you had read my posts over the years, but I guess I should repeat my complains every week or so like so many others so it becomes abundantly clear. What you have done is notice me being critical to incessant whining (because it is pathetic) and flawed comparisons and then you think that is some defense of the band or mean I agree with the band's failure to release new music or stop the endless touring. Basically, in short, you don't get it. 

And of course the "reunion" tour is nothing but a pathetic money-grabbing trip meant to enrich the band while playing old songs for nostalgic casuals. That is so obvious it doesn't need to be spelled out, does it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Don't give me that shit about being "invested". Every penny you have spent on GN'R has been reciprocated in either music, merch or live experiences. They don't owe you anything because you fail to grasp the simple principle of trading money for products. What you are is emotionally invested because you have spent time thinking about the band, spent time "defending" the band, even gotten yourself a GN'R tattoo, spent time reading about the band, basically spent time being a fan, and now you think this means they owe you something. But they don't. This is just you acting entitled because you have decided to waste time on a rock and roll band. 

They don't do anything wrong in my eyes? :lol: Well, I would have preferred it they had released the follow-up back in 2010 so maybe Josh, Bucket and Robin would have remained in the band, I would have preferred they had stopped touring in 2012 and then focused on new music, I would have preferred if they had not reunited with Slash and Duff, I would have preferred they had released a third album in 2014 or so. So no, I don't agree with what they do as you so laughable have come to think, in fact I don't agree with most decisions made by the band. And you would have known this if you had read my posts over the years, but I guess I should repeat my complains every week or so like so many others so it becomes abundantly clear. What you have done is notice me being critical to incessant whining (because it is pathetic) and flawed comparisons and then you think that is some defense of the band or mean I agree with the band's failure to release new music or stop the endless touring. Basically, in short, you don't get it. 

And of course the "reunion" tour is nothing but a pathetic money-grabbing trip meant to enrich the band while playing old songs for nostalgic casuals. That is so obvious it doesn't need to be spelled out, does it?

I think the term brown nosing was the term earlier used.  jarmo has the job already, Axl won't hire you, so better to be honest and call it out rather than defending every terrible thing they do.

And I disagree. They do owe me. If i buy a high priced ticket to a show and get the performance we got at the Tottenham hotspur stadium, then i feel short changed. Do I get my money back? If Slash gives an interview that says new music is coming (and fortus et al) and I think yes I want to be at a show where they play that new music, and go, then they do not play any new music, again I am being short changed. You keep describing GnR as a product and transaction. That's fine. I am not happy with the product I am paying for and I am being lied to in order to spend my money on said product. Don't give me  'I should know better than to trust what they say' Or 'Axl has sounded shit for years, you know what you are getting' No - That is not what is being advertised. What they are advertising is an incredible show at high level prices and teasing new music occasionally to keep people hooked. They're not calling it a nostalgia tour, even if that is what it is. Do you honestly think that is defendable? 

People reserve the right to moan and complain in this scenario because they are not getting value for money. I used to be like you, defend this band to the death. Then I started thinking for myself. It's not too late for you to start calling a spade a spade here SM

Edit* You mention you dont see why people moan every week - would their even be a mygnr without fans giving their opinion. whether it be negative or positive? The band do no media, nothing interesting in shows, release no new music. So we have to talk about something!?

Edited by JimiRose
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

9 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

I think the term brown nosing was the term earlier used.  jarmo has the job already, Axl won't hire you, so better to be honest and call it out rather than defending every terrible thing they do.

And I disagree. They do owe me. If i buy a high priced ticket to a show and get the performance we got at the Tottenham hotspur stadium, then i feel short changed. Do I get my money back? If Slash gives an interview that says new music is coming (and fortus et al) and I think yes I want to be at a show where they play that new music, and go, then they do not play any new music, again I am being short changed. You keep describing GnR as a product and transaction. That's fine. I am not happy with the product I am paying for and I am being lied to in order to spend my money on said product. Don't give me  'I should know better than to trust what they say' Or 'Axl has sounded shit for years, you know what you are getting' No - That is not what is being advertised. What they are advertising is an incredible show at high level prices and teasing new music occasionally to keep people hooked. They're not calling it a nostalgia tour, even if that is what it is. Do you honestly think that is defendable? 

People reserve the right to moan and complain in this scenario because they are not getting value for money. I used to be like you, defend this band to the death. Then I started thinking for myself. It's not too late for you to start calling a spade a spade here SM

Edit* You mention you dont see why people moan every week - would their even be a mygnr without fans giving their opinion. whether it be negative or positive? The band do no media, nothing interesting in shows, release no new music. So we have to talk about something!?

That's not how arts work :lol: If you go to a gallery and don't enjoy the art, you can't have your money refunded. If you go to a stand-up show and don't enjoy it, you won't get your money back. If you go to a concert and it wasn't as great as expected, you don't get your money back. Artists can't guarantee a great experience, nor do they. Only if things are particularly botched can you have your money refunded. But generally speaking, this is a risk you accept whenever you go to enjoy arts. 

But this discussion isn't about your bad experience about the London show, is it, Karen? This is about people whining about the band not releasing new music. And as far as I know, no one here has paid any money for the band's next album. There is nothing being owed to anyone. We would all prefer the band to release new music compared to not release new music, but some of us accept life's small inconveniences with stoicism and some grace, others don't.

No, we DO NOT have to fill in a certain amount of posts here everyday. Are you a hired content writer for mygnrforum? Then why this nonsense about, "we have to fill the forum with posts and since we are bitter children all we can muster are whines and complaints"? 

As for your first sentence: Why do you keep up this comedy about me defending all the decisions of the band? Even after a post where I listed just a few things I disagree with when it comes to the band, like big decisions on reunion, touring, and not releasing music? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

But seriously, why can't GN'R be as prolific as Sun Ra? He released up to 159 albums. Why can't we have that?! Why should the fans of Sun Ra (assuming there is any) have so much more than us? Why? Why? Why oh why!? 

I love it- and how about Zappa??! the man released more LP's than any of us could ever imagine :blink:

36 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

We're not talking about art though. We're talking about the guy going up there and not singing well more often than not. We're talking about interviews before upcoming tours where in conjunction to talking of said tour they mention that they have songs ready to go that should be out soon. 

That my friend is bs. They are hyping the core audience to get ticket sales there. And as far as Axl goes, if you can't deliver them you need to stop touring. When you listen to him now vs 10-30yrs ago, it's worlds apart... It's not defendable.

And yes. A refund is not unreasonable for these things. 

Let's not forget....An all new show was promised late 2019? Were you entitled to a refund when they fuckin' came back with the exact same show, same stage, less pyro, and basically the same songs. I think you are / were. That's like going to an art gallery which promised to have new works, but instead you got the same exhibition they had for the past 7yrs. 

Okay. So then let's discuss whether you are entitled to a refund because you attended a GN'R show expecting a "brand new show". Legally speaking, you aren't, I'm afraid. Morally, sure. By all means complain about being naive and going to a GN'R show and not hearing new songs. If you are an old GN'R fan and you feel that way you will get no pity from me, you should have known better. Any indications of a new show from GN'R members are clearly only wishful thinking on their part, and it has been like this for a long time now (hey you guys who claim I will never criticize GN'R, did you catch this?). Don't get me wrong, I am sure some members have actually believed they would do something innovative at some point, but reality (read Axl) always puts an end to that real quick. For the second residency in Las Vegas they made the same claims. In fact, one of the arguments used by band members for doing a residency was that it would allow them to shake things up more :lol: In short, there is a grand tradition on GN'R's part of overselling shows in advance. But it is not sufficient for a refund, I am sure, although it would have been interesting if someone had decided to sue the band for failing to deliver on promises. Funny, too, I am sure.

But I am sure it would be tossed out of court because what constitutes a new show, a new experience, doesn't need to be 100% new songs, but just some smaller changes that means you are not getting 100% the same show. And they ALWAYS make sure to throw in a few new covers, pull out an older song, etc. So legally speaking, I am sure they are covered. Basically, you exaggerate when you claim it is the exact same show. From a legal perspective, less pyro and some changes to the songs constitutes a new experience :lol: There is also precedent of artists basically playing the same shows over and over again, with the same setlists. Some are better at varying the sets, some don't. 

Still, this wasn't what @JimiRose and I was discussing, it was more of an afterthought when coming up with reasons to complain in general but had nothing with me mocking the incessant "why can't GN'R be more like [insert another band] who release more albums?" I have NO PROBLEMS with people being miffed if they attended a show some years ago and didn't get what they expected. My empathy is inversely proportional to how long they have been fans of the band. Shit, if it was me I would perhaps have complained about this in the relevant show thread, once. But again, this failed expectations is not reasons for the "why oh why can't they release more music" complaining that we started discussing. 

1 minute ago, Rodzilla72 said:

I love it- and how about Zappa??! the man released more LP's than any of us could ever imagine :blink:

Yes, why oh why can't Metallica be more like Frank Zappa? The Zappaists have all the good times and we Metallica fans have to contend with new music only every 3-4 years. It is NOT FAIR!!! BOOOOOO!!!

• Like 2

It's strange how little there's been in terms of images from rehearsals or anything like that in the run up to this week.

Obviously I won't be shocked if it's the same show.. but then a part of me actually would. Surely not. Surely at the very least there will be an updated stageshow.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Okay. So then let's discuss whether you are entitled to a refund because you attended a GN'R show expecting a "brand new show". Legally speaking, you aren't, I'm afraid. Morally, sure. By all means complain about being naive and going to a GN'R show and not hearing new songs. If you are an old GN'R fan and you feel that way you will get no pity from me, you should have known better. Any indications of a new show from GN'R members are clearly only wishful thinking on their part, and it has been like this for a long time now (hey you guys who claim I will never criticize GN'R, did you catch this?). Don't get me wrong, I am sure some members have actually believed they would do something innovative at some point, but reality (read Axl) always puts an end to that real quick. For the second residency in Las Vegas they made the same claims. In fact, one of the arguments used by band members for doing a residency was that it would allow them to shake things up more :lol: In short, there is a grand tradition on GN'R's part of overselling shows in advance. But it is not sufficient for a refund, I am sure, although it would have been interesting if someone had decided to sue the band for failing to deliver on promises. Funny, too, I am sure.

But I am sure it would be tossed out of court because what constitutes a new show, a new experience, doesn't need to be 100% new songs, but just some smaller changes that means you are not getting 100% the same show. And they ALWAYS make sure to throw in a few new covers, pull out an older song, etc. So legally speaking, I am sure they are covered. Basically, you exaggerate when you claim it is the exact same show. From a legal perspective, less pyro and some changes to the songs constitutes a new experience :lol: There is also precedent of artists basically playing the same shows over and over again, with the same setlists. Some are better at varying the sets, some don't. 

Still, this wasn't what @JimiRose and I was discussing, it was more of an afterthought when coming up with reasons to complain in general but had nothing with me mocking the incessant "why can't GN'R be more like [insert another band] who release more albums?" I have NO PROBLEMS with people being miffed if they attended a show some years ago and didn't get what they expected. My empathy is inversely proportional to how long they have been fans of the band. Shit, if it was me I would perhaps have complained about this in the relevant show thread, once. But again, this failed expectations is not reasons for the "why oh why can't they release more music" complaining that we started discussing. 

Yes, why oh why can't Metallica be more like Frank Zappa? The Zappaists have all the good times and we Metallica fans have to contend with new music only every 3-4 years. It is NOT FAIR!!! BOOOOOO!!!

Well they put the whole new show in the promotional material. Bit different than some band member making a "hope we can do something different" comment in an interview. Like I don't expect anything after Richard said that. But when they put their neck on the line and say "an all new show" as the selling point of a tour in the promo material, and then don't do that, then that's a huge difference to the product being sold. I don't think you're a dumb fan and should know better at that point. 

And yes, they throw in a few new covers, and dig out locomotive or whatever... But it is the same show. Whole new show is where they don't start and finish with the same songs, have the same stage production. So legally I don't know where it would land but it would certainly be interesting had any fan been that annoyed they brought it to court.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Well they put the whole new show in the promotional material. Bit different than some band member making a "hope we can do something different" comment in an interview. Like I don't expect anything after Richard said that. But when they put their neck on the line and say "an all new show" as the selling point of a tour in the promo material, and then don't do that, then that's a huge difference to the product being sold. I don't think you're a dumb fan and should know better at that point. 

And yes, they throw in a few new covers, and dig out locomotive or whatever... But it is the same show. Whole new show is where they don't start and finish with the same songs, have the same stage production. So legally I don't know where it would land but it would certainly be interesting had any fan been that annoyed they brought it to court.

As I said, morally I agree, legally I don't think you have a case. And for us all timers, this is a case of 'fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me'. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

We're not talking about art though. We're talking about the guy going up there and not singing well more often than not. We're talking about interviews before upcoming tours where in conjunction to talking of said tour they mention that they have songs ready to go that should be out soon. 

That my friend is bs. They are hyping the core audience to get ticket sales there. And as far as Axl goes, if you can't deliver them you need to stop touring. When you listen to him now vs 10-30yrs ago, it's worlds apart... It's not defendable.

And yes. A refund is not unreasonable for these things. 

Let's not forget....An all new show was promised late 2019? Were you entitled to a refund when they fuckin' came back with the exact same show, same stage, less pyro, and basically the same songs. I think you are / were. That's like going to an art gallery which promised to have new works, but instead you got the same exhibition they had for the past 7yrs. 

I know people who did actually manage to get refunds for the last London shows because they were so bad. 

Not strictly related to the setlist choice of course, and they did have to pester Ticketmaster a bit to put their point across that the show absolutely wasn't acceptable.  

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

11 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Sad times when this discussion is even necessary. 

I would like to know which members of the "band" feel embarrassed to hit the stage this time around.

Dissidence is heavily frowned upon by TB.  Parties involved will be eliminated. Negativity is considered moral decadence and will not be tolerated. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, AtlasShrugged said:

It's strange how little there's been in terms of images from rehearsals or anything like that in the run up to this week.

Obviously I won't be shocked if it's the same show.. but then a part of me actually would. Surely not. Surely at the very least there will be an updated stageshow.

It’ll be the same show with Anything Goes and maybe Breakdown added 5 weeks in.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

51 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I know people who did actually manage to get refunds for the last London shows because they were so bad. 

Not strictly related to the setlist choice of course, and they did have to pester Ticketmaster a bit to put their point across that the show absolutely wasn't acceptable.  

Yeah … I’m not really buying this. 

2 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Sad times when this discussion is even necessary. 

I would like to know which members of the "band" feel embarrassed to hit the stage this time around.

I think their paychecks quell any feeling of embarrassment ... Cmon now ... What's to be embarrassed about? GnR has been a legacy act for over a decade now

• Like 1