The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

8 hours ago, Shacklermyrye said:

I suspect your right that he may not have worked on that stuff for years. But how do you know he hasn't listened to any of it?

I obviously don't know, just making a sarcastic joke, because let's be honest here, for a man who hasn't released any more ChiDem stuff since 2008 except two songs, one being silkworms, you really think he's spending time listening to those old demos from 20+ years ago? I don't. 

• ABSUЯD 1

1 minute ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I obviously don't know, just making a sarcastic joke, because let's be honest here, for a man who hasn't released any more ChiDem stuff since 2008 except two songs, one being silkworms, you really think he's spending time listening to those old demos from 20+ years ago? I don't. 

I think when he was in a studio listening to mixes there is a slim chance he may have yeah.

43 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

I do have to say: I love this forum. The Guns N’ Roses fanbase is so unique among any other fandom I’m a part of. It’s endlessly entertaining.

Why does everyone take every piece of information so literally? Mayhue mentions the new recordings are “Appetite-oriented” and some of you have turned that into “there is an unreleased song from Appetite that they’re working on now.” It’s mind boggling. Especially when the math being used is based on a guy who got the number of tracks on Appetite wrong (there are 12, not 11). And why did he get the number wrong? Because he’s just speaking off the top of his head, like a normal human. To Mayhue, unlike some of us here, this isn’t some holy grail of unreleased music he’s been waiting for forever. It’s just part of his job. His day to day.

It’s like when Slash described the new songs as “epic” and people started going on about how we’re going to get another long intricate song, when in reality Slash could easily just using “epic” as a synonym for “cool.” Not everything should be taken literally - especially with this band!

There’s no new album - at least not yet. Slash *told you what to expect.* They are the recooked ChiDem songs and they will not feature new vocals from Axl. I’d bet money on it. We got Absurd and Hard Skool. We’ll get Perhaps and maybe Atlas and SOG, depending on how long this band goes on for. When will we get them? Likely around the time of any upcoming North American tours because that’s where the band can use a push selling tickets.

Yup, which is what I keep trying to explain, especially to Soul Monster, that just because Slash said "I don't remember exactly how many we did" doesn't mean that's a chance there's more than just a few songs they reworked. He specifically said 1-2 more another 1-2 then that's it. There is no ChiDem2 being released. We know that for a fact.

2 minutes ago, Shacklermyrye said:

I think when he was in a studio listening to mixes there is a slim chance he may have yeah.

You have no idea what they were doing in studio. I'm of the opinion it was not GnR related. And I GUARANTEE they were NOT listening to Tonto, Mustache, Realdoll.com, Dub Suplex, or any of those instrumentals 😂😂😂😂😂😂

29 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

That’s kinda what happened.

This reunion has gone incredibly well. The band seems to be getting along. They’re playing consistent shows, starting on time, making a lot of money, making a lot of concert audiences happy (moreso on the nights Axl sounds semi-decent).

And all of this is because Axl is running the show.

Slash and Duff divorced themselves from the band in the mid 90s and it changed their perspective on it. In 1993, Slash and Duff were probably willing to fight for control with Axl over this stuff because at the time it was still *their* band just as much as it was his, in their eyes. They were still on a journey that began when the band got together in the 80s. It was still their imperial phase.

Fast forward 20+ years, after playing mostly theaters and clubs on their own, and their attitude is probably “hey, I left. This is Axl’s band now.” Of course, they wrote the songs with him. Of course, Slash and Duff are just as much a part of Guns N’ Roses as Axl is, in terms of the band’s history and songwriting and even legally with regards to the older work and artwork, etc.

But logistically and operationally, this is Axl’s band and that was probably made clear to Slash and Duff before they rejoined. That’s why they’re playing with Axl’s drummer and rhythm guitarist. That’s why there’s a second keyboardist/sampler in the band. It wasn’t a 3-man decision, it was Axl saying “this is who we’re rolling with, you guys good with that? Oh, the drummer isn’t to your liking? Work it out with him and get on the same page. See you at rehearsals.”

It’s similar to someone leaving a C-suite position at a large corporation but maintaining a seat on the board. That’s Slash and Duff - they sit at the table, but Axl is the CEO. I would even argue that perhaps Beta and Fernando have more sway than, say, Slash.

And a lot of that, again, is down to Slash and Duff being cool with it. Again, they have perspective: they left and went off on their own. In 1995, Slash still felt he had to protect his band, his legacy. 20 years later, he’s a  legend. An icon of music. He probably doesn’t *care* about when Guns is releasing new music. It’s more important for him to be friends with Axl and Duff and play these songs to adoring audiences in large venues than it is to fight with Axl again over the direction of new music. What once was important to Slash and Duff simple isn’t anymore. Their priorities have shifted.

If what you are saying is true, why wasn't "Axl's band" selling out arena before two of the real guys came back?  Both sides showed that they could make some money separate, but they needed to be together to really have the type of success they are seeing today

Edited by fabrph5
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Yeah, there's an audio recording from an afterparty of GnR's 2010 Vienna show (thanks @Mindray11 ;) ). It's barely hearable, but well enough for @evader that made his own interpretation of the song using the Chinese Democracy RockBand stems (and other stuff).

I'll DM you both things :)

Oh DM me too please 

• Like 1

Just now, 2020_Intensions said:

You have no idea what they were doing in studio. I'm of the opinion it was not GnR related. And I GUARANTEE they were NOT listening to Tonto, Mustache, Realdoll.com, Dub Suplex, or any of those instrumentals 😂😂😂😂😂😂

they were listening to new tracks mixed. that's what you do before releasing stuff.
and yeah that's probably stuff we already know as demos. 

17 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

We have a lot of evidence of songs being on setlists do not directly relate to songs being played of released. It's a theory.

Oh really? Since they have been touring as a reformed band, its only been hardskool and absurd appearing on the setlist, right? And they both ended up being released.

Am i missing another one?

Edited by Sonicjam

2 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Just because those songs were instrumentals in 2000 or 2001, doesn’t mean they are that way today. That’s over 20 years ago. I would bet more than a few have been worked on since, even with vocal takes added. A number of instrumentals from that time got vocals within 5-7 years: Sorry, Shackler’s, Better, and even songs that were not included at all in those leaks like Scraped. Surely, there were others. Also, what leaked then was not everything the band had up to that point, only likely a majority of the material they considered for release. 

• Like 1

Are Guns still attached to a label? There doesn't seem to be any demand or nudge from above for anything...Wish live nation got them Into one of those 360 deals, which takes care of gigs, LP and merch...and the contract includes expectations for an album. They were a thing for a while....

Edited by colonizedmind

9 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Are Guns still attached to a label? There doesn't seem to be any demand or nudge from above for anything...Wish live nation got them Into one of those 360 deals, which takes care of gigs, LP and merch...and the contract includes expectations for an album. They were a thing for a while....

From the credits in the recent releases (Absurd, Hard Skool and UYI box set) it seems that they have their own label now, but they're still attached to UMG for distribution.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Yes they were in there for non gnr related stuff.

and yeah i'm sure they were not listening to the songs you mentioned more likely Perhaps given it's been soundchecked multiple times and Tom Mayhue says a song is about to be dropped any day now. I mean in GNR world any day now could mean in a years time but still lol

Edited by Shacklermyrye

1 hour ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

I do have to say: I love this forum. The Guns N’ Roses fanbase is so unique among any other fandom I’m a part of. It’s endlessly entertaining.

Why does everyone take every piece of information so literally? Mayhue mentions the new recordings are “Appetite-oriented” and some of you have turned that into “there is an unreleased song from Appetite that they’re working on now.” It’s mind boggling. Especially when the math being used is based on a guy who got the number of tracks on Appetite wrong (there are 12, not 11). And why did he get the number wrong? Because he’s just speaking off the top of his head, like a normal human. To Mayhue, unlike some of us here, this isn’t some holy grail of unreleased music he’s been waiting for forever. It’s just part of his job. His day to day.

It’s like when Slash described the new songs as “epic” and people started going on about how we’re going to get another long intricate song, when in reality Slash could easily just using “epic” as a synonym for “cool.” Not everything should be taken literally - especially with this band!

There’s no new album - at least not yet. Slash *told you what to expect.* They are the recooked ChiDem songs and they will not feature new vocals from Axl. I’d bet money on it. We got Absurd and Hard Skool. We’ll get Perhaps and maybe Atlas and SOG, depending on how long this band goes on for. When will we get them? Likely around the time of any upcoming North American tours because that’s where the band can use a push selling tickets.

That’s because in a separate clip the guy said “they recorded 29 songs back when they did AFD and now they’re finally finishing the ones that didn’t make the original album.” Mind you, I think he misspoke, or confused AFD with CD or something, but that’s what he said.

23 minutes ago, Sonicjam said:

Oh really? Since they have been touring as a reformed band, its only been hardskool and absurd appearing on the setlist, right? And they both ended up being released.

Am i missing another one?

They have not been touring as a reformed band, they've been touring with a new guitarist, bass player, and keyboard player, the two guitarists happening to be original members. 

And I was referring to the entire history. Perfect Crime? OMG? Going Down? Etc etc etc

1 minute ago, rocknroll41 said:

That’s because in a separate clip the guy said “they recorded 29 songs back when they did AFD and now they’re finally finishing the ones that didn’t make the original album.” Mind you, I think he misspoke, or confused AFD with CD or something, but that’s what he said.

He absolutely misspoke. There are no AFD leftovers. We've known this since before the band broke up lol

4 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

He absolutely misspoke. There are no AFD leftovers. We've known this since before the band broke up lol

Absolutely. Any AFD leftovers would have been used in UYI. He must’ve been referring to CD

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shacklermyrye said:

Yes they were in there for non gnr related stuff.

and yeah i'm sure they were not listening to the songs you mentioned more likely Perhaps given it's been soundchecked multiple times and Tom Mayhue says a song is about to be dropped any day now. I mean in GNR world any day now could mean in a years time but still lol

The only reason I say non GnR related is because we know how these guys are. We've been played and fucked with so much over the years. Don't be surprised when some new commercial or cameo comes out with Axl & Slash recorded parts .... IF they are indeed in their for GnR then yes it's definitely Perhaps 

2 minutes ago, gavgnr said:

Absolutely. Any AFD leftovers would have been used in UYI. He must’ve been referring to CD

That was the reason why UYI was a double album. The band wanted to clean the slate, get out everything they've done as a band up to that point to then be able to start fresh. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2020_Intensions said:

The only reason I say non GnR related is because we know how these guys are. We've been played and fucked with so much over the years. Don't be surprised when some new commercial or cameo comes out with Axl & Slash recorded parts .... IF they are indeed in their for GnR then yes it's definitely Perhaps 

Sp1at found out they were listening to mixes from LA, i'd say he is a credible source for this. Sometimes 2 and 2 does make 4 even in the world of GN'R

1 hour ago, fabrph5 said:

If what you are saying is true, why wasn't "Axl's band" selling out arena before two of the real guys came back?  Both sides showed that they could make some money separate, but they needed to be together to really have the type of success they are seeing today

You’re misunderstanding me. I’m not saying Axl was as successful without Slash and Duff - he wasn’t. In order for them to play larger venues consistently, they need the 3 core members (at least in the sense of being the 3 most publicly recognizable) in the group. In terms of that, Slash and Duff are of equal if not more importance than Axl (though if we’re being honest, the only true requirement is that Axl be on stage with Slash).

What I’m saying is that, internally, this is successful because Slash and Duff have agreed to go along with the way Axl’s running things. It’s not a triumvirate making decisions. It’s Axl.

His people have to coordinate schedules with Slash’s managers, Duff’s managers, etc., but it’s still Axl’s say as to what happens. And believe me, if Guns wants to tour, then SMKC gets put on the back burner because Guns is the moneymaker. When music gets released, it will be because Axl says so. When the next  Village Leak gets released is Axl’s call. Slash and Duff are supportive partners, but they’re not steering the ship, and they seem to be just fine with that.

• Like 3