The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

3 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

The only real question we should be asking ourselves is: did Axl record a studio version of this...or at the very least a proshot of the two performances....I live for the day some fuckers like, got ya an IEM of Wembley 2006!

Axl's voice + Robin's solo + Izzy = chef kiss :wub:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, novemberparadise23 said:

That sailing performance is still one of my favorite live moments from Axl since the early 90’s. Might be number 1. Would love to eventually get a pro shot of that performance and a studio recording of a cover version.

I have some kindred spirits in here! 👍

12 minutes ago, Amir said:

I love that Sailing performance but every time I listen to it all I can hear is some angry Cockney geeza going "ALL THE SONGS THEY'VE GOT AND THEY'RE PLAYING THIS FUCKING SHIT" because that was on the audience MP3 I listened to for years :lol:

Yes...ALL the vast songs they've got...thank fuck for some good old covers!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, colonizedmind said:

Yes...ALL the vast songs they've got...thank fuck for some good old covers!

To be fair I can also hear that bloke's voice in my head sometimes when they trot out The Seeker or Wichita Lineman for the umpteenth time :lol:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

BRING BACK THE SEEKER. Who's with me!

Was wondering just how many times I've heard it live:

Abu Dhabi 2013

Buenos Aires 2014

Toronto 2016

Saitama 2017

Saitama 2nd night 2017

London 1st night 2017

Stockholm 2017

Prague 2017

Paris 2017

Tallinn 2018

Oslo 2018

Guadalajara 2019

12 out of 31 gigs I've been to... I remember I used to really like the song as my dad would play it a lot, and I was happy the first couple of times I heard it with GNR... But I think it's been played more than enough times now :P 236 in total, almost as many times as The Who themselves have played it! Wichita Lineman is now on 145 times live, and again is a both a song that I like, and that I think GNR do a good job of, but is taking up space in the setlist for an actual GNR tune (and one that gets zero audience reaction outside of North America).

Just now, jamillos said:

No, stuff it. And any other covers. Are we so fed up with those dozens and dozens of GNR albums filled with their own songs that we need yet another cover? 

Dude, it goes without saying i'd love to hear all those UYI deep cuts but let's be real, they like playing covers...they always WILL play them, many are even on the studio releases so may as well be realist and want that one as one of them....

7 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Dude, it goes without saying i'd love to hear all those UYI deep cuts but let's be real, they like playing covers...they always WILL play them, many are even on the studio releases so may as well be realist and want that one as one of them....

I'll take a well done cover any time over the train wreck that would be Axl trying to do Perfect Crime or Garden of Eden

36 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Yeah I’m obviously not including LALD and KOHD, as I sort of consider them already "adopted". But as for the rest... it hasn’t been that great in this sphere in the recent years anyway, has it. Black Hole Sun, Slither... they suck, as far as I’m concerned. Well, it’s obviously all about Axl’s vocals. 
And why the Seeker anyway? Again, an easy song where he can slack off and just go all low register, but otherwise, what’s so special about the tune? Is there a breathtaking guitar solo? No. Is there some gooseflesh scream? No. Should it stay on the alt. setlist for good then? Again, no. The Seeker can suck it, for all I care. If they absolutely need to play covers and want to do something exciting, how about Aerosmith (something around 93, Get a Grip etc.)? Or AC/DC? He still can handle some of that and sounds good. 
Yes, I may be in a minority with this, but to me, the covers have been boring since around 2017, sorry. I’d prefer My World mixed with Eye on You with Pitman’s guesting on sub-bass and Ashba on bongos. : ) 

Edited by jamillos

37 minutes ago, Amir said:

Tallinn 2018

Oslo 2018

Was also looking at number of times I've heard Wichita Lineman live (six), and these two shows really stood out to me. Not only did they play both Wichita Lineman AND The Seeker, but they also played Black Hole Sun (the setlist was exactly the same between the two shows). Three covers when they could have played original GNR songs.

The 2023 setlists have been really good in my opinion, such an improvement over 2018. I'd take Bad Obsession + Pretty Tied Up over The Seeker + Black Hole Sun any day (thankfully haven't heard either song live since 2018), and they mix things up a lot more than in 2018. Highlight of 2018 by far was Shadow Of Your Love, Axl killed it, was happy to hear that at a couple of shows this year as well.

The one cover I do actually miss is the Another Brick in the Wall intro to November Rain, I loved that, but I'm cool with it being cut to make room for more actual songs (another plus point of the 2023 setlist, cutting out a lot of the jams). To bring this back to the new album topic, cutting out covers and jams will leave room for more new tunes once they surface without having to sacrifice the hits most of the crowd is there to hear.

37 minutes ago, Amir said:

Was also looking at number of times I've heard Wichita Lineman live (six), and these two shows really stood out to me. Not only did they play both Wichita Lineman AND The Seeker, but they also played Black Hole Sun (the setlist was exactly the same between the two shows). Three covers when they could have played original GNR songs.

The 2023 setlists have been really good in my opinion, such an improvement over 2018. I'd take Bad Obsession + Pretty Tied Up over The Seeker + Black Hole Sun any day (thankfully haven't heard either song live since 2018), and they mix things up a lot more than in 2018. Highlight of 2018 by far was Shadow Of Your Love, Axl killed it, was happy to hear that at a couple of shows this year as well.

The one cover I do actually miss is the Another Brick in the Wall intro to November Rain, I loved that, but I'm cool with it being cut to make room for more actual songs (another plus point of the 2023 setlist, cutting out a lot of the jams). To bring this back to the new album topic, cutting out covers and jams will leave room for more new tunes once they surface without having to sacrifice the hits most of the crowd is there to hear.

Sure...I'd love new songs to creep in and replace some of those covers BUT the covers are definately not taking their place and the reason new songs aren't getting a look in....so until such a time as we have more new or an LP,  I will love a good cover or two, i just wished they picked from a bigger pool, they've done plenty over the last 20 years....and hey, despite that quote from the MP3 of sailing, listening to that crowd reaction at the end 🤟 to a non-GNR surprise song...that's because Axl sounded so committed and awesome on it ...do a good cover of a well known tune and we'll vote it up, but of course...

Edited by colonizedmind
  • GNFNR 1

25 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Exactly, not necessarily voting it up because it's my favourite song ever...but the band (Axl particularly) sound pretty awesome on it...that's as good a reason for it to have a rotation space as any! 

It's a legendary and kick ass classic rock song and GnR (as usual) do a fantastic job covering it. Also, it kinda is like Axl's theme song ...

I mean If Axl is gonna stay keen in not recording anything new (although we've seen a micro shift there of late...) Then why not bang out a kickass rock N roll covers record with all their favourite tunes over the decades. Is it what I want first and foremost, no! However, it would be something

...TSI 2. Then the only problem is getting Axl to sing 10 songs over a couple of months In a studio...

1 minute ago, colonizedmind said:

I mean If Axl is gonna stay keen in not recording anything new (although we've seen a micro shift there of late...) Then why not bang out a kickass rock N roll covers record with all their favourite tunes over the decades. Is it what I want first and foremost, no! However, it would be something

...TSI 2. Then the only problem is getting Axl to sing 10 songs over a couple of months In a studio...

A new covers album would be awesome. The first one was dedicated to their punk rock influences. A new one should be dedicated to their classic rock influences. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

TSI 2. Then the only problem is getting Axl to sing 10 songs over a couple of months In a studio...

I was thinking about this earlier, funnily enough. You could almost get an album's worth from covers played since 2016, and Axl wouldn't need to sing them all. Most, but not all

The Seeker (Axl)

Wish You Were Here (Instrumental or Axl)

Riff Raff (Axl)

Whole Lotta Rosie (Axl)

Wichita Lineman (Axl)

Black Hole Sun (Axl)

I Got You (I Feel Good) (Axl)

Slither (Axl)

I Wanna Be Your Dog (Duff)

TV Eye (Duff)

Then throw in a studio version of Paradise City Ft. Carry Underwood for general release as a single, and there you have it: TSI2

Could also chuck in a proper studio cut of Reckless Life as a bonus track as well.

• Like 2