The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

38 minutes ago, El Nono Pololo said:

I see less than 0 per cent chances of that happening with Brian back on board - who was less than happy with the whole Axl/DC run.

Also, AC/DC have never been too prone to guest spots on their shows to begin with, nor are they known to keep in touch with people who once played with or for the band.

I think I agree. And if they were persuaded to allow a guest singer or two, it would probably be someone who would appeal more to the younger generations.

Olivia Rodrigo to have a crack at 'Highway to Hell'? What a perfect time to go refill my beer glass!

55 minutes ago, El Nono Pololo said:

I see less than 0 per cent chances of that happening with Brian back on board - who was less than happy with the whole Axl/DC run.

Also, AC/DC have never been too prone to guest spots on their shows to begin with, nor are they known to keep in touch with people who once played with or for the band.

Has there been any since Prince's show that didn't have a guest? Seems to be a requirement now. 

In an effort to get this thread back on topic, I hope an eventual new album doesn't include Hard Skool as it was in 2021, that mix is atrocious. Absurd seems a bit better, Perhaps, significantly better. I expect the same for The General. If they are replacing most of Bucket and Robin's work, which has been evident thus far, they could at the very least mix them better than the "rough mixes" from the Village CDs...

Speaking of CDs, I hope the new album is available on both CD, and audio cassette. I expect it to be on vinyl. 

37 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

In an effort to get this thread back on topic, I hope an eventual new album doesn't include Hard Skool as it was in 2021, that mix is atrocious. Absurd seems a bit better, Perhaps, significantly better. I expect the same for The General. If they are replacing most of Bucket and Robin's work, which has been evident thus far, they could at the very least mix them better than the "rough mixes" from the Village CDs...

Speaking of CDs, I hope the new album is available on both CD, and audio cassette. I expect it to be on vinyl. 

Joe Barresi is credited with mixing Perhaps (among his other credits is the miraculous most recent album by Tool).

So let's hope he has mixed The General and whatever else GnR might be working on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sausagebrain said:

Hopefully not going too far off topic here, but AC/DC are strongly rumoured to be playing the halftime show at the next Superbowl (in Las Vegas)

The question is - if they do, will they invite their old mate Axl to the party (i.e. for a cameo)?

Or should they? It would be good promo for any new GnR product but... could Axl bring it like he did in 2016?

They’d never invite Axl, he’d never do it, because he definitely could *not* bring it right now.

But more importantly, no way AC/DC gets the halftime show. The Super Bowl’s classic rock phase is over - they’re trying to court different markets. The last few Super Bowls should give a hint as to who they want to book. They just tried to get Taylor Swift, though she turned them down. It’ll be a pop act.

8 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

They’d never invite Axl, he’d never do it, because he definitely could *not* bring it right now.

But more importantly, no way AC/DC gets the halftime show. The Super Bowl’s classic rock phase is over - they’re trying to court different markets. The last few Super Bowls should give a hint as to who they want to book. They just tried to get Taylor Swift, though she turned them down. It’ll be a pop act.

For what it is worth, the mayor of Vegas is supposedly really keen for AC/DC to be the halftime act. Don't know if they have much sway in that decision, but there it is.

Even if it is a 'classic rock' act, they would probably have to have loads of crossover cameos from younger artists and genres (so probably not Axl). 

For all I care about the halftime show these days, they could have 'Up With People' doing an Ed Sheeran medley. 

8 minutes ago, metalavenger99 said:

A 100% it'll be a pop act, if they bring ACDC it would just be for a guest spot during the middle of the performance

Like Slash in 2011

Even then, I doubt it’d go that way. The NFL’s policy has changed since then - the artist *pays* to be on the halftime show now. If Dua Lipa wants to perform at halftime, and she’s paying for it, she’s not inviting anyone along for the free publicity.

1 hour ago, Sausagebrain said:

Joe Barresi is credited with mixing Perhaps (among his other credits is the miraculous most recent album by Tool).

So let's hope he has mixed The General and whatever else GnR might be working on.

That makes so much sense, Perhaps sounds miles ahead of the other two in terms of a coherent mix.  Hard Skool sounds mixing-wise more like a demo than the actual demo which is a shame because I actually quite enjoy Slash's guitar parts and solos he added to it

• Like 1

Just now, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Even then, I doubt it’d go that way. The NFL’s policy has changed since then - the artist *pays* to be on the halftime show now. If Dua Lipa wants to perform at halftime, and she’s paying for it, she’s not inviting anyone along for the free publicity.

Well i didn't knew that... So even less likely then

I just realized your previous pic was the Redskins owner, it looked like Sadam Houssein from a distance 

11 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

That makes so much sense, Perhaps sounds miles ahead of the other two in terms of a coherent mix.  Hard Skool sounds mixing-wise more like a demo than the actual demo which is a shame because I actually quite enjoy Slash's guitar parts and solos he added to it

Yeah, Hardskool sounds really bad which is a shame because the song is actually quite good. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, metalavenger99 said:

I just realized your previous pic was the Redskins owner, it looked like Sadam Houssein from a distance 

Well they were quite similar, personality-wise. Long suffering DC native. The feeling I have now that he’s finally gone has got to be similar to how everyone felt at the end of Return of the Jedi. The emperor has been overthrown, Ewoks dancing, everyone’s partying.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sausagebrain said:

Fear Inoculum has some of my favorite production for a metal record. It’s fantastic

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Well they were quite similar, personality-wise. Long suffering DC native. The feeling I have now that he’s finally gone has got to be similar to how everyone felt at the end of Return of the Jedi. The emperor has been overthrown, Ewoks dancing, everyone’s partying.

:rofl-lol:

That division is gonna be real tough again tho

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I can't agree that Perhaps is well mixed. To me Absurd is the only one that sounds good sonically, Hard Skool is a mess and Perhaps is maybe a small notch better.

None of the singles have been well mixed, but Perhaps is the best of the 3 IMO. Perhaps > Absurd > Hard Skool. Hopefully The General is the best of the bunch, musically and sonically.

I'm both really curious and really nervous to hear the mix for The General. Assuming it has lots of layers and orchestration, it will be really disappointing if it sounds as bad as Hard Skool...

8 minutes ago, metalavenger99 said:

I never really cared about the bad mix on the official HS until i listened to it again yesterday, what a soulless version

Slash's slide solo is the best sounding part of the entire song for me

Soulless is a good way to describe it. The neutered drums, portly mixed vocals and mostly uninspired replacement guitars. I do like Slash’s second part of his solo, if that’s what you’re referring to. I wish they kept the song as it was and just added that part and mixed it properly. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

Soulless is a good way to describe it. The neutered drums, portly mixed vocals and mostly uninspired replacement guitars. I do like Slash’s second part of his solo, if that’s what you’re referring to. I wish they kept the song as it was and just added that part and mixed it properly. 

IMO Hard Skool benefits from Slash’s guitar during the verses a lot. It makes the music sound like GNR. I've never fell in love with his slide guitar. Always preferred the first half of the solo.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I think that is the problem though in a way- it's become 'tick that box' stuff for people with big wallets. 

As I said, I was shocked this tour. Seen it growing for years, but it was quite ridiculous. I've heard people say on here that the crowds are actually more into outside the pit (which again, seems odd) and I've always done pit so maybe that has something to do with it. 

definitely agree about the pit. been to 2 gnr gigs in GC and it was dead. Terrible experience and shows gnr should be rewarding real fans not rich cunts

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Sonic Reducer said:

Blues for Allah as the starting point? Seriously? I find it one of their weirdest albums (and I love it for it). I'd just start with American Beauty and Working Man's Dead, both amazing and full of classics (FotD, Brokedown Palace, Casey Jones, Uncle John's Band, Ripple, Box of Rain etc)

I like the weird stuff! I got into ‘em through my Steely Dan obsession (theres a big fanbase overlap), so I lean towards the weirder stuff 

• Like 1