The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

On 12/5/2023 at 11:45 AM, Blackstar said:

I asked him (since I saw you deleted yours) and he responded:

"Slash said, they have new songs, and he's hoping for a GN'R album late next year, and they have also worked on older songs, no details on that. Separately, on another day maybe a month later, he was asked about his comments album releasing an album with the current songs, and that received no comment."

I guess the key word here is "hoping".

It makes sense. Those jams from last year indicates that they were working on new stuff, at least instrumentals - which of course doesn't mean Axl would actually work on them.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

It makes sense. Those jams from last year indicates that they were working on new stuff, at least instrumentals - which of course doesn't mean Axl would actually work on them.

Yeah, although those jams sounded to me more like something from the CD era than something Slash and Duff would come up with. But who knows...

Anyway, I think if they have worked on new songs surely Axl must have at least given them the green light to do so, because they would know better what (not) to expect if he hadn't.

Edited by Blackstar

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, although those jams sounded to me more like something from the CD era than something Slash and Duff would come up with. But who knows...

Don't know, there's not too much for me to say. I do think that Porto Alegre jam reminded me a bit of how SMKC's Anastasia builds up. 

• PERHAPS 1

I think that instrumentals from last year are what Slash claim on this last comments, It has been proven that those Soundchecks are not The General and not Monsters also so or there are more reworked CD songs ready to be released or they are new instrumentals, I am with the second one

On 12/5/2023 at 10:34 AM, Sweersa said:

I wonder if "historic older material was possible" is a reference to songs that currently have no indication of a NITL re-work, like Berlin, Seven, Zodiac 13, etc.? But those of course are CD-era. 

I doubt they are going to scrap the half or more of CD2 that they have not released as reworked songs in favor of actual new material.

Maybe the next album will be a hybrid. I'd love that, release the best of the CD vault with however many new songs they can write. 

Generally, people use the word "historic" to refer to very old, even antique, things. For example, Slash's '59 Les Paul replica is part of Gibson's "Historic Collection".

20 year old material may be getting old now, but not so much relative to the timescales this band operates on. That's still just "the previous album". Also, cars are considered "classic" after 25 years.

1 hour ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Generally, people use the word "historic" to refer to very old, even antique, things. For example, Slash's '59 Les Paul replica is part of Gibson's "Historic Collection".

20 year old material may be getting old now, but not so much relative to the timescales this band operates on. That's still just "the previous album". Also, cars are considered "classic" after 25 years.

That makes sense. However, didn't Slash at one point describe Hard Skool as being historic, or going way back? He may have lumped Absurd and Perhaps in that too. I can't recall the details but he was implying the more "epic" songs as not being as old as the earlier NITL CD re-works. 

9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Anyway, I think if they have worked on new songs surely Axl must have at least given them the green light to do so, because they would know better what (not) to expect if he hadn't.

I don't think Slash and Duff need any kind of permission to work on new songs. They can't force Axl to work on them too, but if they wanna do, they're gonna work something out. What it's gonna be used for is another question.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I don't think Slash and Duff need any kind of permission to work on new songs. They can't force Axl to work on them too, but if they wanna do, they're gonna work something out. What it's gonna be used for is another question.

Maybe I didn't use the correct wording, but I meant that they wouldn't bother if Axl hadn't expressed some interest or if they hadn't discussed it with him.

37 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Maybe I didn't use the correct wording, but I meant that they wouldn't bother if Axl hadn't expressed some interest or if they hadn't discussed it with him.

Lets just hope they all agreed in writing new material... as good as the General and Monsters might be, it's still from Axls CD journey. About time for something new... release Monsters with whatever you've planed and move on. 

• Like 1

I would almost guarantee the jams are part of potential new songs from GNR… 

however, I wonder if Axl’s vocals are presenting an issue when it comes to recording in the studio.

Alas, he’s been in the studio a surprising number of times this year, so anything is possible…

And remember over the Summer when Axl and Slash were photographed in a recording studio listening to “new mixes?” I’m guessing those were for “Perhaps” and “TG” (at the Hollywood Bowl, Axl mentioned that the last time he actually rehearsed TG was in the Spring, right before the tour even started…) and maybe even more things we haven’t heard.

There’s gotta be stuff from the Appetite/Illusions days that they still got up their sleeves as well.

1 hour ago, GNRRHCP98 said:

And remember over the Summer when Axl and Slash were photographed in a recording studio listening to “new mixes?” I’m guessing those were for “Perhaps” and “TG” (at the Hollywood Bowl, Axl mentioned that the last time he actually rehearsed TG was in the Spring, right before the tour even started…) and maybe even more things we haven’t heard.

Considering that The General is mixed by Caram, I strongly doubt that it was one of the new mixes Axl and Slash listened to. The mix we got must be from 2-3 years ago.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Lets just hope they all agreed in writing new material... as good as the General and Monsters might be, it's still from Axls CD journey. About time for something new... release Monsters with whatever you've planed and move on. 

At this point they probably should just go away and release stuff from the 90s.

The General is pure garbage, unlistenable.

If this is the standard now, please don't ever release anything anymore.

• Confused 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

11 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

you can simply choose to not listen to it. A choice my neighbours don't have.

34 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

You here clearly the origins... if they start writing new songs it would automatically sound more like classic Guns I think. 

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

You here clearly the origins... if they start writing new songs it would automatically sound more like classic Guns I think. 

They have no standards anymore, obviously.

They don't give a fuck, otherwise the release of this turd called The General would have never happened this way.

It's impossible to create new stuff that will be any good with this mindset, there is no heart, desire or passion left to do the name Guns N' Roses justice. It's over, forget about it.

55 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

They have no standards anymore, obviously.

They don't give a fuck, otherwise the release of this turd called The General would have never happened this way.

It's impossible to create new stuff that will be any good with this mindset, there is no heart, desire or passion left to do the name Guns N' Roses justice. It's over, forget about it.

There's still a little hope in me (despite that I'm not agreeing with you completely here about the quality) but IF it's true what Slash said, that Axl would like to get rid of those songs before moving on, than who knows. Ah fuck it... even if they start writing new stuff it could last another 15 years until they'll release it. Who knows if Axl is still capable of writing new shit at all.

We have now waited longer for the follow up to chinese democracy, than the spaghetti incident. At least DJ was postive in 2010...

He tells the Rock It Out! blog, "We're talking about that (the new album) right now. We've been throwing around a bunch of ideas and it should be good. We've got a lot of good stuff on the plate coming out. It won't take as long (to make as Chinese Democracy) - I promise...

https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/211213/Guns-N-Roses-plan-quick-new-album

Edited by JimiRose
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

There's still a little hope in me (despite that I'm not agreeing with you completely here about the quality) but IF it's true what Slash said, that Axl would like to get rid of those songs before moving on, than who knows. Ah fuck it... even if they start writing new stuff it could last another 15 years until they'll release it. Who knows if Axl is still capable of writing new shit at all.

is Axl still interested in creating again brand new shit is the question I ask myself. I mean, I would like for him to give a try just to see if they can still create. We know Slash and Duff are still motivated and don't miss a step when it comes to releasing new music. My guess is that Axl is still capable, but that won't matter if he lost the motivation to do it.

having said that, they don't have to succeed in creating a full album to see if they still have the chemistry to create. Start with one song, or even record covers. Take a riff from Slash, give Slash and Duff new lyrics. There are so many ways this could become a reality, but I think that even if Axl wants to do it and is planning to do a new album, his standards of what a Gn'R album is supposed to do as in a musical statement could still have the potential to become a problem.

I think there is still a chance they might surprise us, but that if it happens, it won't be soon. We don't even know if Axl won't just go back to his hard drives and ask Slash and Duff to work on more Chinese tunes, we really don't have any idea, even if Slash said what he said in interviews.

26 minutes ago, Rovim said:

is Axl still interested in creating again brand new shit is the question I ask myself. I mean, I would like for him to give a try just to see if they can still create. We know Slash and Duff are still motivated and don't miss a step when it comes to releasing new music. My guess is that Axl is still capable, but that won't matter if he lost the motivation to do it.

having said that, they don't have to succeed in creating a full album to see if they still have the chemistry to create. Start with one song, or even record covers. Take a riff from Slash, give Slash and Duff new lyrics. There are so many ways this could become a reality, but I think that even if Axl wants to do it and is planning to do a new album, his standards of what a Gn'R album is supposed to do as in a musical statement could still have the potential to become a problem.

I think there is still a chance they might surprise us, but that if it happens, it won't be soon. We don't even know if Axl won't just go back to his hard drives and ask Slash and Duff to work on more Chinese tunes, we really don't have any idea, even if Slash said what he said in interviews.

Honestly a TSI 2 would be most welcome around here...as it would be a start and would require a lot less give from Axl....other than picking some great songs for his voice. It would be a great dip of the feet starting back where they ended....we should petition hard for that as a starting block....even a covers EP....they already play plenty live, it need not be more than 2 weeks work. The only blockade, is Axl's apathy towards the studio.