The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

20 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

It seems the most logical thing to do at this stage. 

it does? Gn'R seems like a band that loves money. just doing a vanishing act would mean not making a killing with all that potential "last Gn'R tour ever!" money.

• Like 2

I hope we get Monsters with Atlas (or whatever) soon. Then I can add that two-track CD to my Hard Skool CD and Perhaps CD, so that's 6 songs. Almost half of the second part of Chinese Democracy. 

Or better yet, they release the rest of the songs they have as an album, Slash or not. 

• Haha 1

I actually think Slash might leave. He seems so much happier with SMKC and they actually have more chemistry.

Im sure he’d love to spend some more time at that. Or maybe doing other solo albums. 

Touring with Guns is probably cool and very profitable but it must get a bit boring with nothing new from night to night. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

Why would he leave since he would still be able to do both?

He also seemed quite happy on the last GN'R tour (and the band was a lot more tighter, too). He said it was his favourite tour since 2016.

SMKC is very rushed these days. They can only tour when Guns needs a break and the quality wasn’t really there on the last 2 albums. A lot of that is because they don’t have the time.

I could see Slash at some point wanting to focus more on that. 

3 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

SMKC is very rushed these days. They can only tour when Guns needs a break and the quality wasn’t really there on the last 2 albums. A lot of that is because they don’t have the time.

I don't think the last two SMKC albums were rushed because of GN'R or that their quality had to do with that. For LTD Slash had most of 2018 and almost all of 2019 "free" from GN'R to record, release it and tour it, that is a full album-tour cycle. And 4 was written and recorded during Covid, so whatever problems with it would have to do with the restrictions because of that.

And regardless of that, he's always been able to do a zillion different things simultaneously.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

I think they've just reached their creative peak already. AL was great and World on fire was even better. The last 2 albums were both bland and meh with the odd good track. Like most bands. you get 2-3 classics and the rest become generic or rehashed or experimental. Only the beatles went godlike for multiple albums. led zep had a great 4/5 album streak too. But we're talking the elite here, SMKC are great but they aint elite all timers. Most people argue GnR were one great album and a second great album hidden in a double album at best. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JimiRose said:

I think they've just reached their creative peak already. AL was great and World on fire was even better. The last 2 albums were both bland and meh with the odd good track. Like most bands. you get 2-3 classics and the rest become generic or rehashed or experimental. Only the beatles went godlike for multiple albums. led zep had a great 4/5 album streak too. But we're talking the elite here, SMKC are great but they aint elite all timers. Most people argue GnR were one great album and a second great album hidden in a double album at best. 

most bands are not "elite all timers" and maybe Slash doesn't care about creative peaks if SMKC is just an outlet for his vision, which he doesn't overthink. whatever ideas he comes up with, he can rely on a no drama band that is reliable and that will support everything he wants to do.

I would prefer it if he worked with a different singer, but I think Slash doesn't have issues with MK's voice or the quality of the albums. 

sidenote: with all the singers Slash has worked with, I don't think he ever found a good long term singer who had Axl's charisma or was close to as good as a fit musically. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

I would prefer it if he worked with a different singer, but I think Slash doesn't have issues with MK's voice or the quality of the albums. 

sidenote: with all the singers Slash has worked with, I don't think he ever found a good long term singer who had Axl's charisma or was close to as good as a fit musically. 

Scott weiland was, but he was also just as messed up and difficult as axl. he was the 90s/00s jim morrison. There were some great collabs on the 'Slash' album too, not that they would have made great full time bands, but he's been arounf enough. There aren't many he hasn't worked with

Just now, JimiRose said:

Scott weiland was, but he was also just as messed up and difficult as axl. he was the 90s/00s jim morrison. There were some great collabs on the 'Slash' album too, not that they would have made great full time bands, but he's been arounf enough. There aren't many he hasn't worked with

well, I did say in my post "good long term singer". Scott had the talent and charisma to sell it, at least once with Contraband, and I'm a big Weiland and STP fan, just to put my opinion in perspective, but did Slash and Scott really had good enough chemistry as musicians and individuals?

it didn't last long and sometimes the VR tunes (which again, I'm a fan of) seemed to kinda be fighting for space between Scott and the rest of the band and it was like that even on Contraband. some songs clicked really well, but it reminded me of the chemistry of Audioslave. Something was there, but not comparable to what Chris had with Soundgarden, just like it's not comparable to what Axl and Slash had/still got depends on how you look at it.

7 hours ago, Rovim said:

it reminded me of the chemistry of Audioslave. Something was there, but not comparable to what Chris had with Soundgarden, just like it's not comparable to what Axl and Slash had/still got depends on how you look at it.

Audioslave was great actually... one of my favorite bands. SMKC doesn't even come close to that.

Which is a shame, because Alter Bridge has its moments and I really like Slash on most of the stuff he does... but they don't seem to blend well. Songwriting wise. Their cover of Rocket Man on 24th feb was great though.

Slash on a pedal steel.

I guess what I'm saying is this: Myles Kennedy sounds great to me on slower songs, Chris Cornell sounded great on friggin' everything.

SMKC has done a smart move live by letting Todd Kerns sing the more rock n roll type of songs. He has more attitude. And Myles can do the slower (more musically) stuff really well.

They should do duets actually... 2 singers.

Axl used to be great at everything once as well. It's not so much a Axl and Slash thing. Axl was very versatile. Before his voice went to shit at some point.

PS Scott Weiland was very talented and I'm still a fan of Contraband and STP, also some of his solo stuff. But he was an asshole. Sorry :lol: He was never a good teamplayer (according to Duff iirc).

Edited by Lethalis
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Lethalis said:

Audioslave was great actually... one of my favorite bands. SMKC doesn't even come close to that.

Which is a shame, because Alter Bridge has its moments and I really like Slash on most of the stuff he does... but they don't seem to blend well. Songwriting wise. Their cover of Rocket Man on 24th feb was great though.

Slash on a pedal steel.

I guess what I'm saying is this: Myles Kennedy sounds great to me on slower songs, Chris Cornell sounded great on friggin' everything.

SMKC has done a smart move live by letting Todd Kerns sing the more rock n roll type of songs. He has more attitude. And Myles can do the slower (more musically) stuff really well.

They should do duets actually... 2 singers.

Axl used to be great at everything once as well. It's not so much a Axl and Slash thing. Axl was very versatile. Before his voice went to shit at some point.

PS Scott Weiland was very talented and I'm still a fan of Contraband and STP, also some of his solo stuff. But he was an asshole. Sorry :lol: He was never a good teamplayer (according to Duff iirc).

yeah but I didn't compare Audioslave to SMKC, or I didn't mean to say that Audioslave wasn't a good band. I gave VR and Audioslave as examples of good bands that shared chemistry, but not on the level that Axl and Slash had in Gn'R, or Scott had with STP, or Chris with Soundgarden.

I think the comparsion between these bands are only valid cause we have their former bands and other projects to hear when it's truly perfect musical chemistry and the personalities fully complete one another. doesn't mean that bands like VR and Audioslave were bad ideas or didn't click. they were successful after all with people that like their music including myself.

bottom line is I don't think Slash had the chemistry with Scott that Scott had with the Deleo brothers or Slash had with Axl. I realize time is also a factor as many musicians experience a decrease in quality as they age and oftentimes the work is less inspired, but even with that in mind, I believe there is probably no other singer in the world except Axl that sounds as good as him in combination with Slash's guitar cause on rare occasions the chemistry is unmatched.

• Like 2

There’s also the possibility that Slash’s parts are long done. Half of 2018, almost entire 2019, entire 2020, half of 2021, half of 2022... all this was "no GNR tour" time. Sure, he was doing his solo too, but I think he had plenty of time to come up with some new tunes and copy paste his guitars in the old ones as well. So it may be just an Axl thing right now. As usual. 

Edited by jamillos

I still can't believe that they didn't use the momentum of the reunion announcement and the first tour cycle (or maybe even first two) to announce and release their final album of quality material, think of Black Sabbath 13 for example, and go out with a bang. Tour that album a few years and call it quits in style. Not all this rushed "single song with a lazy video here and there" approach, although I must say that they kicked it up a bit with Perhaps (really really cool video) and The General (embarrassing cheap looking kids video game style but I'm sure the tech behind it is mind-blowing :book:) . 

Now we are what? In the 8th year of the reunion? Oh I'm sure they're really focussing on a new album just now. :laugh:

Well, as Slash once said, the legacy is tarnished anyway, so who really cares at this point?

Edited by Spoon87
  • Like 2