07/11/23 - Landgraaf, NL - Megaland

downzy

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

And they praised Slash. These Slash fans are the worst! 

translation:

Among the audience, singer Axl Rose's calving voice was the conversation on the meadow. His voice has lost tremendous strength. He stays afloat on stage, still has energy, but not much remains of his characteristic voice. But it's Axl Rose standing there, the man who grew with his band in the late eighties to become one of the biggest rock bands in the world.

'Do I hear Donald Duck singing here?' one man joked in the audience. Witty comment, but it wasn't that bad, although Rose's thin vocals regularly ended up in screams. He clearly had trouble with his voice.

It became all the more painful when bassist Duff McKagan, who has been with Guns N' Roses since its inception, took care of the lead vocals for one of the songs. Tuesday night there was a band on stage whose bassist sang better than the singer.

Guns N' Roses performed on the field where Bospop was held last Saturday. Actually, Guns N' Roses' performance was supposed to take place in Landgraaf, but because ticket sales were disappointing, the concert was moved to Weert sixty kilometers away where Bospop's stage remained a few days longer for the occasion.

That audience also had to have iron patience. The Americans' show lasted three hours and in the first two hours - very scanty - only a big hit, 'Welcome to the jungle', was played. In themselves, those three hours are admirable and you get value for money, but now only those hard-fans managed to stay awake. This was partly because there was a lack of interaction with the audience.

But then comes guitarist Slash. He is the stable factor of the show and suddenly gives a swinging guitar solo after two hours. It's the turnaround the audience is waiting for. The guitarist is in a huge drive. The audience comes to life. It will be folded along. Everyone suddenly feels like this performance.

At that moment, the box with big hits is also opened. The audience managed to sing everything along. But the decent show eventually stuck Rose's thin voice above all else. Especially during the closing song 'Paradise city' and 'Knockin on heaven's door' it again didn't sound good. The fans didn't blame the band, actually it was just a shame.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

And they praised Slash. These Slash fans are the worst! 

translation:

Among the audience, singer Axl Rose's calving voice was the conversation on the meadow. His voice has lost tremendous strength. He stays afloat on stage, still has energy, but not much remains of his characteristic voice. But it's Axl Rose standing there, the man who grew with his band in the late eighties to become one of the biggest rock bands in the world.

'Do I hear Donald Duck singing here?' one man joked in the audience. Witty comment, but it wasn't that bad, although Rose's thin vocals regularly ended up in screams. He clearly had trouble with his voice.

It became all the more painful when bassist Duff McKagan, who has been with Guns N' Roses since its inception, took care of the lead vocals for one of the songs. Tuesday night there was a band on stage whose bassist sang better than the singer.

Guns N' Roses performed on the field where Bospop was held last Saturday. Actually, Guns N' Roses' performance was supposed to take place in Landgraaf, but because ticket sales were disappointing, the concert was moved to Weert sixty kilometers away where Bospop's stage remained a few days longer for the occasion.

That audience also had to have iron patience. The Americans' show lasted three hours and in the first two hours - very scanty - only a big hit, 'Welcome to the jungle', was played. In themselves, those three hours are admirable and you get value for money, but now only those hard-fans managed to stay awake. This was partly because there was a lack of interaction with the audience.

But then comes guitarist Slash. He is the stable factor of the show and suddenly gives a swinging guitar solo after two hours. It's the turnaround the audience is waiting for. The guitarist is in a huge drive. The audience comes to life. It will be folded along. Everyone suddenly feels like this performance.

At that moment, the box with big hits is also opened. The audience managed to sing everything along. But the decent show eventually stuck Rose's thin voice above all else. Especially during the closing song 'Paradise city' and 'Knockin on heaven's door' it again didn't sound good. The fans didn't blame the band, actually it was just a shame.

It's interesting how the reviews of Rome vs Weert are wildly different even though the performance (from what I've seen) was nearly the same. Maybe the Italian reviewers are bigger fans.

Or maybe the culture is different between southern vs northern Europe. 

Edited by meadsoap

2 minutes ago, meadsoap said:

Yes, I'm aware that the culture is different in different parts of a whole continent. Why do you think I brought it up? I was wondering if the difference in culture was affecting reviews or not. No need to get so defensive. 

To be fair possibly, depends on the media reviewing stuff in each country

2 minutes ago, Shacklermyrye said:

To be fair possibly, depends on the media reviewing stuff in each country

Yes true. But I've also noticed that the reviews that came out of Belgium, Germany, and Denmark were similarly negative. They seem so much more harsh than the ones from Italy, Spain, and Israel. 

The switch is so jarring to me every time it happens. The only way I can think to explain it is culture, because Axl isn't sounding drastically different from night to night on this leg (at least not as much as he used to).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2020_Intensions said:

When are ya'll going to accept the fact that most people do not like how Axl sounds now ... They laugh at him just like they do at Vince Neil ... We are the only ones that will defend him ... 98% of people think he sounds like shit

At least Axl isn't slurring his words together like this:

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

When are ya'll going to accept the fact that most people do not like how Axl sounds now ... They laugh at him just like they do at Vince Neil ... We are the only ones that will defend him ... 98% of people think he sounds like shit

But not the people in Rome or Tel Aviv? The reviews aren't harsh across the board. Hyde Park was given good reviews/reactions too, and that's the definition of a stadium show for casual fans. That show became sold out after Glastonbury too, when at first it was lagging. 

Obviously reviews aren't the end all be all when describing the actual experience of the concert. Otherwise the casuals wouldn't keep coming back and the band wouldn't still be in stadiums 8 years later.

Edited by meadsoap

I watched a video of Jungle from this show and it was pretty bad, to be honest - worse than usual, probably because of the slower tempo.

I think the show with the most positive reception so far, considering also that it was a "high-profile" gig, was Hyde Park. Negative comments from both media and fans on social media were very scarce.

24 minutes ago, G O A T said:

Wow, that was badass

1 hour ago, GoBucky said:

Yep, that sounds great!

It sounds…interesting. He’s trying to figure out what to do with his voice. It’s an interesting approach. But it also bears the question how much longer is he going to be able to try and figure out what to do with his voice because he’s aware it’s not the same anymore.  

1 hour ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I don't think that's accurate. A lot of people think he sounds bad, a good amount think he sounds good and some crazies think he sounds as good as ever. Reading comments it's a mixed bag, but there was far more people saying "Not a fan but for a 60yr old, he's doing ok" and things like that. A lot of people are giving him a bit of a pass due to his age. I personally think he isn't old enough to be getting passes for not being able to sing his most famous songs anymore... but whatever.

53 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I watched a video of Jungle from this show and it was pretty bad, to be honest - worse than usual, probably because of the slower tempo.

I think the show with the most positive reception so far, considering also that it was a "high-profile" gig, was Hyde Park. Negative comments from both media and fans on social media were very scarce.

Jungle at the current tempo is so dreadful... and those drums drive me insane! somebody please tell Frank to play the h-hat the way it's supposed to be played, closed h-hat on the verses and a slower tempo than the studio version just make it dogshit...I'm trying to be polite! AND Axl still can't sing the damn thing! may as well have the tempo back to what they were doing in 2016 at least the band would sound good!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 2020_Intensions said:

This comment Is without base. The reviews in Tel Aviv, Madrid, Vigo, London, Rome has been excellents, and they comment that Axl voice Is not what it used to be. And what's Is your Solution? That he retire? for the way he and the fans are enjoying the tour that Is not going to happen. And you come here to berate people that are happy to see this band perform. If you are not happy with how he sounds...Easy ...don't hear him

By the way, I saw a video where Vince Neil wasn't singing AND you clearly hear him singing. Don't compare. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

This comment Is without base. The reviews in Tel Aviv, Madrid, Vigo, London, Rome has been excellents, and they comment that Axl voice Is not what it used to be. And what's Is your Solution? That he retire? for the way he and the fans are enjoying the tour that Is not going to happen. And you come here to berate people that are happy to see this band perform. If you are not happy with how he sounds...Easy ...don't hear him

By the way, I saw a video where Vince Neil wasn't singing AND you clearly hear him singing. Don't compare. 

No, my point is simply that people here shouldn't be all surprised or up in arms when there's a bad review .. Because most people don't think Axl sings good anymore. Only us crazies on this forum sit and analyze his every enunciation on every song and compare his voice to other years and even to other shows from the same tour

1 hour ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

It sounds…interesting. He’s trying to figure out what to do with his voice. It’s an interesting approach. But it also bears the question how much longer is he going to be able to try and figure out what to do with his voice because he’s aware it’s not the same anymore.  

This… a kinda what I thought as well. I wonder if he has replaced his vocal coach who died yet?