06/09/23 - Madrid, ES - Civitas Metropolitan Stadium

downzy

10 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Yea something happened to slash after that but I couldn't tell what it was. First I thought he injured himself but could be something with his in ear thingy or whatever 

it sounded as he said Slash .(sth) blow (sth) lol

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Politania said:

Some ppl are pointing that he said sth after TWAT, but i listened and i haven't heard Volkova or what ever, he said  sth about Slash but rest for me it is completely illegible. it's around 1:59:18 durng show

TWAT wasn't pleasent to me, to be honest

Agree about TWAT. Apparently we both are in the minority.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kingcanyon said:

I know it's a wild theroy but London Hudson was their I'm wondering if the long term plan is for London to replace frank soon. 

Imo it would be cool tho to have a father and son duo in GNR in slash & London

London has gotten really good. I've seen him play with his band a few times over the last couple years and the last time I saw him (April of this year at NAMM) he was killing it. Wouldn't mind seeing him up there with GnR as long as he doesn't do any weird stuff.

2 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

London is playing in Europe the coming days. Don't think it's anything other than that.

Although I wouldn't mind it. 

Yeah that's why he was there, just hanging out before meeting up with his band for their shows.

3 hours ago, Politania said:

TWAT wasn't pleasent to me, to be honest

3 hours ago, Ratam said:

Agree about TWAT. Apparently we both are in the minority.

Axl has rarely sounded good on the verses of TWAT, but the screams and solo are what make the song great. He sounded bad on the verses here but nailed the screams, it's definitely not the worst performance of the song... Slash really fucked up the solos, though.

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Axl has rarely sounded good on the verses of TWAT, but the screams and solo are what make the song great. He sounded bad on the verses here but nailed the screams, it's definitely not the worst performance of the song... Slash really fucked up the solos, though.

I don't like the song nor and like Axl sound. Now please, don't kill me :lol:

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Ratam said:

I don't like the song nor and like Axl sound. Now please, don't kill me :lol:

Of course not, you're a good poster Ratam :thumbsup:

Songs like CD, Sorry and Catcher are usually decent but I wish they'd replace the CD 'deep cuts' like TWAT, TIL and SOD with Perhaps and The General... or songs like You're Crazy or You Ain't The First. Most of the CD songs don't sound good live with this lineup.

• Thanks 1

Axls looking good for sure...and I'm reaaaallyhappy for it. 

As his singing capabilities, we all know he won't be able to sound like 30 years ago, or 2006/2010...we see him giving his all and the voice just isnt there anymore.

He can scream really loud here and there, but without any control...and he totally lost his mid range. That's a fact.

That said, I enjoy watching him giving his all.

For me, the lowest point of GnR is Slash...man, he was so fucking good back in the day.

Now he just murders most of his solos, he is always playing some WTF notes in his most recognizable melodies, he just fails to give the Chinese material any kind of structure when he tries to play his own solos, or reproduce the recorded solos by Bucket o Robin.

Its just frustrating for me...he is my favorite guitar player ever...but man, I dont know what happened to his live performances.

Im not trying to be negative here...just sharing my thoughts

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Alejandro GNR said:

Axls looking good for sure...and I'm reaaaallyhappy for it. 

As his singing capabilities, we all know he won't be able to sound like 30 years ago, or 2006/2010...we see him giving his all and the voice just isnt there anymore.

He can scream really loud here and there, but without any control...and he totally lost his mid range. That's a fact.

That said, I enjoy watching him giving his all.

For me, the lowest point of GnR is Slash...man, he was so fucking good back in the day.

Now he just murders most of his solos, he is always playing some WTF notes in his most recognizable melodies, he just fails to give the Chinese material any kind of structure when he tries to play his own solos, or reproduce the recorded solos by Bucket o Robin.

Its just frustrating for me...he is my favorite guitar player ever...but man, I dont know what happened to his live performances.

Im not trying to be negative here...just sharing my thoughts

For me, I don't think Slash looks comfortable in this band. I don't think they have any natural chemistry. 

SMKC were doing some really good versions of GNR songs musically. They were a proper tight rock band live. 

Think about it... 

It's no secret that Slash in the 90s wasn't too keen on the music that became CD. Also don't think he's a fan of keyboard players. And probably not Frank's drumming.

The current band is Slash and Duff joining Axls band and trying to make it work. They're not doing a terrible job and the money is good.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jacdaniel said:

For me, I don't think Slash looks comfortable in this band. I don't think they have any natural chemistry. 

SMKC were doing some really good versions of GNR songs musically. They were a proper tight rock band live. 

Think about it... 

It's no secret that Slash in the 90s wasn't too keen on the music that became CD. Also don't think he's a fan of keyboard players. And probably not Frank's drumming.

The current band is Slash and Duff joining Axls band and trying to make it work. They're not doing a terrible job and the money is good.

I heard MANY wtf outro solos on Wicked Stone, so i guess the problem is Slash

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Thanks for the pics & videos. I've looked at some particular songs on Youtube to decide whether I'll go to the Paris show or not. And now I'm convinced they

deserve the money & time.

As always, what makes or breaks the show for me is Axl's performance, and I'm very, very pleased with what I'm seeing & hearing.

Axl was at his lowest point ever in 2020, I honestly thought he was completely done. Completely out of shape, couldn't sing properly, I stopped following, it made me sad.

But he's clearly made a huge come back, not only for himself but for his audience. I saw some good signs in the last 2 years, but he's really improved a lot in the last year.

Not the first time he's come back like this, but at his age, it's incredible.

He's in the best shape he's been since probably 2006, he looks very healthy & fit. I hope he continues on this path, it's great to see him like this as a long time fan.

He's also improved his ways of singing. He compensates the lack of vocal capabilities on some very technical song by expertise, he knows his limits.

He sounds amazing on some songs I've heard. He's really good on There was a time, which is a song he's always struggled with, I really like his new approach. I

really hope he sings this particular song in Paris.

It's great they picked songs that matches his lower voice better, like Down on the Farm, Pretty Tied Up, Bad Obsession... He masters those. I think I said that last year,

but they should've picked songs that match Axl's lower voice much sooner since his higher range is harder to sing, even though I'm not a fan of Bad Obsession for example, I prefer hearing Axl doing a song I don't particularly love justice, than butchering a song I adore completely. It's better for

him & better for the audience, to pick songs he masters & sings perfectly.

That doesn't prevent some occasional surprises like There Was A Time which is extremely demanding, especially when he does the song justice. Not saying it's perfect, but it's good.

I still think he should drop Hard Skool, as much as I love the song. It's clear he does the best he can, but I don't know if anyone actually enjoys the song live, the way it's

sung as of now. I'm sure he must tell hismelf "why did I record this song like this to begin with, it's impossible to sing", even worse than what he said on You Could Be Mine back in the day ahah.

But since it's part of GNR "new" material, I guess it's a dilemma.

Perhaps would be a much better fit for his voice.

Overall, I'm just so happy to see Axl in this shape & hearing him sing that well. Might be his best performance overall since 2016 with the Axl/DC tour.

It's clearly not up to 2010 level, but I'm not expecting it. But who knows, Axl clearly has a will superior to the average person.

The rest of the band is great, I don't want to be harsh on Frank like some people are on this board. He's a loyal & solid drummer, been there for a while, I'm happy for him.

Axl is very loyal too, I don't see him firing him.

As for Slash, I've said this several times: he doesn't master CD songs. I don't think he hates them, it's just beyond his league. Anybody knowing guitar knew

this before Slash came back in the band, I never pictured him being able to play Chinese Democracy solos properly.

There are two guitar players we know that could handle these solos perfectly: Buckethead and Bumblefoot. Ideal choice would be Bucket, but he's too impossible

to tame apparently. It would be amazing to offer Ron Thal a spot in this line-up, though I get with that many players in the band, dividing the "loot" as Izzy called it,

would be a problem.

Richard could also play those solos better, but I guess it's an image problem. Slash must be the lead on most songs because that's what the global audience expects.

Slash sounds great on his own material though, so it's not that bad. He's still a legendary player.

Again, thanks for the material you've been sharing guys, and seeing this band soon will make me happy. Have a great day.

• Like 1

It's a style thing, most hugely famous guitarists including the likes of Hendrix, Page etc wouldn't be comfortable doing what Buckethead does. 

It's a different way of playing that came later. Pretty sure Axl referred to it as a stunt guitarist. 

5 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

Think about it... 

You're not wrong.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, D.. said:

Thanks for the pics & videos. I've looked at some particular songs on Youtube to decide whether I'll go to the Paris show or not. And now I'm convinced they

deserve the money & time.

As always, what makes or breaks the show for me is Axl's performance, and I'm very, very pleased with what I'm seeing & hearing.

Axl was at his lowest point ever in 2020, I honestly thought he was completely done. Completely out of shape, couldn't sing properly, I stopped following, it made me sad.

But he's clearly made a huge come back, not only for himself but for his audience. I saw some good signs in the last 2 years, but he's really improved a lot in the last year.

Not the first time he's come back like this, but at his age, it's incredible.

He's in the best shape he's been since probably 2006, he looks very healthy & fit. I hope he continues on this path, it's great to see him like this as a long time fan.

He's also improved his ways of singing. He compensates the lack of vocal capabilities on some very technical song by expertise, he knows his limits.

He sounds amazing on some songs I've heard. He's really good on There was a time, which is a song he's always struggled with, I really like his new approach. I

really hope he sings this particular song in Paris.

It's great they picked songs that matches his lower voice better, like Down on the Farm, Pretty Tied Up, Bad Obsession... He masters those. I think I said that last year,

but they should've picked songs that match Axl's lower voice much sooner since his higher range is harder to sing, even though I'm not a fan of Bad Obsession for example, I prefer hearing Axl doing a song I don't particularly love justice, than butchering a song I adore completely. It's better for

him & better for the audience, to pick songs he masters & sings perfectly.

That doesn't prevent some occasional surprises like There Was A Time which is extremely demanding, especially when he does the song justice. Not saying it's perfect, but it's good.

I still think he should drop Hard Skool, as much as I love the song. It's clear he does the best he can, but I don't know if anyone actually enjoys the song live, the way it's

sung as of now. I'm sure he must tell hismelf "why did I record this song like this to begin with, it's impossible to sing", even worse than what he said on You Could Be Mine back in the day ahah.

But since it's part of GNR "new" material, I guess it's a dilemma.

Perhaps would be a much better fit for his voice.

Overall, I'm just so happy to see Axl in this shape & hearing him sing that well. Might be his best performance overall since 2016 with the Axl/DC tour.

It's clearly not up to 2010 level, but I'm not expecting it. But who knows, Axl clearly has a will superior to the average person.

The rest of the band is great, I don't want to be harsh on Frank like some people are on this board. He's a loyal & solid drummer, been there for a while, I'm happy for him.

Axl is very loyal too, I don't see him firing him.

As for Slash, I've said this several times: he doesn't master CD songs. I don't think he hates them, it's just beyond his league. Anybody knowing guitar knew

this before Slash came back in the band, I never pictured him being able to play Chinese Democracy solos properly.

There are two guitar players we know that could handle these solos perfectly: Buckethead and Bumblefoot. Ideal choice would be Bucket, but he's too impossible

to tame apparently. It would be amazing to offer Ron Thal a spot in this line-up, though I get with that many players in the band, dividing the "loot" as Izzy called it,

would be a problem.

Richard could also play those solos better, but I guess it's an image problem. Slash must be the lead on most songs because that's what the global audience expects.

Slash sounds great on his own material though, so it's not that bad. He's still a legendary player.

Again, thanks for the material you've been sharing guys, and seeing this band soon will make me happy. Have a great day.

I'm glad you enjoyed the shows. It really makes me happy, we are all fans and we all live anything related to this band in a similar way.

That said, Im surprised you say Axl sounded good on TWAT....man, for the exception of that powqerful scream...he just sucks...if he wasnt Axl and you listened to this performance (first part up to the solo) from an unknown singer...you would surely think its embarrasing and nothing to do with a profesional singer....

Come on guys...he sounds atrocious on the verses of TWAT