Axl low register

1 hour ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Still trying to figure out if the low voice he used at the end of YCBM in Melbourne ‘22 was his actual live vocals or he was singing over a backing track 

Axl doesn't sing over a backing track!😲 He's not Ashlee Simpson! 🤣

On 3/22/2023 at 3:18 PM, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

I get what you're saying but, to me, if he can't hit nail the high register voice, then this thing is truly doomed. Because neither Mickey or the low register voice are going to get my butt back in a seat.

I'm just glad I caught them in 2016. Great times.

His voice is done, dude. It's gone. Certainly for touring, anyway. The older he gets doesn't increase the chances of it returning. We also know how stubborn Axl is, so I can't imagine him changing anything about what he does (ie Mickey replaced by the low register) any time soon. It'll be on his terms, about two years too late. 

I'd be interested to know if he's capable of even recording anything like CD vocals. Sadly, I doubt it.

About Axl's "Mickey," voice, this must be what Fans are referring to when they call it his "Clean voice," right? 🤔 Because Fans have said something like,"Axl sings with his "Clean Voice," when he wants to be safe and preserve his voice and sings with his "Rasp voice," when he wants to be risky and bold.

11 hours ago, Karice said:

No, but he does hawk Budweiser and perform with Pink and Carrie Underwood. Oh, oh!... and his guitarist also sells credit cards. 

I guess the line in Pretty Tied Up was more than a little prophetic. Time did go by, and man oh man... did it all become a joke.

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

9 hours ago, Nintari said:

No, but he does hawk Budweiser and perform with Pink and Carrie Underwood. Oh, oh!... and his guitarist also sells credit cards. 

I guess the line in Pretty Tied Up was more than a little prophetic. Time did go by, and man oh man... did it all become a joke.

Not many acts have maintained their credibility in the long run. Only a handful. 

Stones, AC/DC, Springsteen, Lepard to name a small few. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Karice said:

Sometimes he does. CD used to have a backing track in the verses, not sure if it still does. Locomotive had one in the chorus, and obviously the backing vocals in Sorry and Madagascar, there might be others I'm forgetting...

7 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Sometimes he does. CD used to have a backing track in the verses, not sure if it still does. Locomotive had one in the chorus, and obviously the backing vocals in Sorry and Madagascar, there might be others I'm forgetting...

I think they've all been replaced by Melissa.. which is nice. Was always weird during the Sorry chorus if you got clean Axl and then raspy studio backing track.

On 3/23/2023 at 10:23 PM, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Still trying to figure out if the low voice he used at the end of YCBM in Melbourne ‘22 was his actual live vocals or he was singing over a backing track 

If anyone was in the front few rows of the pit you can see his neck muscles moving when he's singing. I would imagine any backing track to make him sound more powerful would have been recorded long ago not be in the low voice.

On 3/24/2023 at 9:24 PM, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Not many acts have maintained their credibility in the long run. Only a handful. 

Stones, AC/DC, Springsteen, Lepard to name a small few. 

I have to disagree with you on Springsteen. He forgot that he was a Jersey guy with blue collared roots. He knew about TicketMaster dynamic pricing and didn't care. In fact, he even stated that others are charging a lot of money so he should as well.

12 minutes ago, Draguns said:

I have to disagree with you on Springsteen. He forgot that he was a Jersey guy with blue collared roots. He knew about TicketMaster dynamic pricing and didn't care. In fact, he even stated that others are charging a lot of money so he should as well.

Shame. Springsteen should have been the example of fair pricing, especially after pointing out that other Acts are charging a lot of money. Be a Leader, not a Follower. I was never a huge fan of Springsteen, but I did respect him, and he has lost a lot of respect I had for him. 😫🤐😩

• 1 month later...

Speaking of Bruce Springsteen, on Reddit, some unhappy Fans of Bruce said that he gives bad concerts, just robotically sings and doesn't even thank the Fans for coming. Bruce is a classy, class act! 😒😞🤬😡

On 3/21/2023 at 7:14 AM, Rovim said:

a major part of the Gn'R sound is Axl's ability to use his impressive range in such a way that the high notes are a must imho. 

Except he doesn't have the ability anymore and he sounds terrible.  I disagree and think it would be a welcome change. He gets ripped apart by most fans, casuals and is an easy target for haters.  He still has some in the tank in short bursts and could still impress people with that. Like the End of Its So Easy, the "You know where the fuck you are parts of Jungle" , Nightrain chorus etc.. Just use it sparingly and it will go a long way. 

The mid range stuff has got to go like whatever he does during Sweet Child and Nov Rain. 

On 3/21/2023 at 9:04 AM, Rovim said:

to sing that way like he did when he had vocal issues in that one show is not a good solution for his lack of ability to be as consistent as he once was as a vocalist imo.

There most likely is no other solution.  Most singers lose their voices as they age.  What Axl used to do was almost unhuman. It is not a knock on him that he can't do it anymore. 

• Like 1

I hate to say it but i kind of wish they do this tour during which they put a few songs out, then just retire from live performances. 

Axl goes in the studio finishes songs releases everything he is happy with, and just has a weekly podcast where he tells stories fron the old days and stuff. He could set the record straignt on fall outs, have on previous band members and maybe even previous foe's like Vince Neil. 

17 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

There most likely is no other solution.  Most singers lose their voices as they age.  What Axl used to do was almost unhuman. It is not a knock on him that he can't do it anymore. 

Hurts to agree but I do. He can hold his own for a few songs then you can see him struggle to measure himself for the rest of the gig and just get through it.

My question is why does Axl seem to struggle to sing when there's mic issues more then any other show. I think aussie/nz towards the end he fucked his voice up again cuz he struggled but with ycbm in Wellington when he bumped into slash he really had major issues after with finishing the song and his voice went everywhere would that mean anything or should we put it down to vocal strain of some kind? 

Edited by kingcanyon

7 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I don't see Axl's current diminished vocal ability as a problem that needs what I consider to be an extreme solution, like singing mostly in his lower register. I also don't think people will pay the kind of money they are paying now (I'm talking casual Gn'R fans) if he stopped using his full range. 

7 hours ago, Shacklermyrye said:

I hate to say it but i kind of wish they do this tour during which they put a few songs out, then just retire from live performances. 

Axl goes in the studio finishes songs releases everything he is happy with, and just has a weekly podcast where he tells stories fron the old days and stuff. He could set the record straignt on fall outs, have on previous band members and maybe even previous foe's like Vince Neil. 

Hurts to agree but I do. He can hold his own for a few songs then you can see him struggle to measure himself for the rest of the gig and just get through it.

why do you wish Axl to retire from live performances? if the live shows are too weak for you/boring and the not releasing albums thing makes it not fun for you anymore, you can just stop following Gn'R. (correct me if I'm wrong)

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

why do you wish Axl to retire from live performances? if the live shows are too weak for you/boring and the not releasing albums thing makes it not fun for you anymore, you can just stop following Gn'R. (correct me if I'm wrong)

For the same reason I wouldn't want Messi playing footall in his 60's if he was no longer able. 

The live shows are too weak and boring & I don't want to see anymore but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop following GN'R as it's the studio stuff that interests me most and always has been.

11 minutes ago, Shacklermyrye said:

For the same reason I wouldn't want Messi playing footall in his 60's if he was no longer able. 

The live shows are too weak and boring & I don't want to see anymore but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop following GN'R as it's the studio stuff that interests me most and always has been.

but sports is not like music/art so ability is not the only factor, it's also self expression, live and in the studio. There is still value in an artist's work even long after they've peaked and can't technically stay at the same level as they once were at. This is why there is still demand for what Gn'R can still provide and it brings joy to many people around the world.

there is no need for Gn'R to end just because you deem them not good enough to continue anymore cause, like I said, all it takes for you to get what you want from it is a personal choice when it comes to following them, if at all, and to what extent.

Edited by Rovim

18 minutes ago, Rovim said:

but sports is not like music/art so ability is not the only factor, it's also self expression, live and in the studio. There is still value in an artist's work even long after they've peaked and can't technically stay at the same level as they once were at. This is why there is still demand for what Gn'R can still provide and it brings joy to many people around the world.

I'm sure there are some footballers who would dissgree that it's not about expression. 

I did not say there wasn't value in his work

Ability is required for self expression

I made it clear I want him in the studio.

24 minutes ago, Rovim said:

there is no need for Gn'R to end just because you deem them not good enough to continue anymore 

I did not say I wanted GN'R to end. I said I wish they would retire from performing. I made it clear it would be great if he concentrated on studio stuff after. 

His ability is erroding live & I just think there comes a time to take a bow and leave the stage.

31 minutes ago, Rovim said:

like I said, all it takes for you to get what you want from it is a personal choice when it comes to following them, if at all, and to what extent.

Which I do.  

20 minutes ago, Shacklermyrye said:

I'm sure there are some footballers who would dissgree that it's not about expression. 

I did not say there wasn't value in his work

Ability is required for self expression

I made it clear I want him in the studio.

I did not say I wanted GN'R to end. I said I wish they would retire from performing. I made it clear it would be great if he concentrated on studio stuff after. 

His ability is erroding live & I just think there comes a time to take a bow and leave the stage.

Which I do.  

but there is still enough ability for Axl to generate enough demand for many people to want to attend a gig with him as the singer. Not sure what you mean by your first sentence here: art/music is about self expression, that was what I meant.

also, with a guy like Axl that almost never releases his music, if Gn'R ends its touring for good, then maybe we won't get anything at all. It is not like in his "reclusive years" we got much from him when it comes to his music and I highly doubt he'll just go on a solo book tour all of a sudden or get some sort of motivation to release more music just because he'd have more time, surely we know better than that by now so there's a chance we'll end up with even less and again, why take away something that so many people still want in their lives (Gn'R live shows) when it's one of the only things Axl still seems to agree to be a part of when it comes to public consumption of his product.

Edited by Rovim