Things you want to confess as a Guns N'Roses Fan? 😀

On 7/18/2023 at 2:59 AM, Skamos66 said:

When I was 10, I went to a record store and bought Chinese Democracy & Use Your Illusion 1. I had no Idea about the breakup at the time, so I thought it was Slash & Izzy on CD, I liked Chinese Democracy more than UYI1 and my favorite songs at the time were Scraped & Riad n' the Bedouins. Also, my parents crossed out the word "Prostitute" on the album tracklist with sharpie so I never knew what the last song was called until I got my first computer. I also had Oh My God on my mp3 player that I had when I was in a foster home and it was my favorite song for a while as well. (I was 7 or 8 i think)

No offense intended, but anybody that truly believes CD is a better album than either of the UYI albums isn't really so much of a GN'R fan as they are a fan of AXL and/or the supporting cast of that lone album. You aren't going to find many, if any, hardcore fans of the original and UYI lineups that would share the opinion. The overwhelming majority that share your opinion are younger fans that didn't discover GN'R until this millennium or really weren't huge fans of the band beforehand. You clearly fit into the former, since you were only 10 when you discovered CD. That's no slight to you or anyone else sharing your opinion. Everyone has a different experience when music was imprinted upon them. I just find it interesting how many (primarily) NuGNR fans there actually are on this forum.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, thunderram said:

No offense intended, but anybody that truly believes CD is a better album than either of the UYI albums isn't really so much of a GN'R fan as they are a fan of AXL and/or the supporting cast of that lone album. You aren't going to find many, if any, hardcore fans of the original and UYI lineups that would share the opinion. The overwhelming majority that share your opinion are younger fans that didn't discover GN'R until this millennium or really weren't huge fans of the band beforehand. You clearly fit into the former, since you were only 10 when you discovered CD. That's no slight to you or anyone else sharing your opinion. Everyone has a different experience when music was imprinted upon them. I just find it interesting how many (primarily) NuGNR fans there actually are on this forum.

Of course I love classic GNR but I'd say CD is a top 3 album, along with AFD and UYI I.

UYI II has some of their best songs, but it's their most inconsistent record IMO. TWAT and Prostitute are top-tier songs that can be ranked alongside Locomotive and Estranged but there's nothing on CD that's as bad as So Fine, Get In The Ring, My World, etc.

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Of course I love classic GNR but I'd say CD is a top 3 album, along with AFD and UYI I.

UYI II has some of their best songs, but it's their most inconsistent record IMO. TWAT and Prostitute are top-tier songs that can be ranked alongside Locomotive and Estranged but there's nothing on CD that's as bad as So Fine, Get In The Ring, My World, etc.

The problem with So Fine is that Duff sounds BORED in the song. Maybe if he sounded very  passionate, So Fine could have been a top tier song. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, thunderram said:

No offense intended, but anybody that truly believes CD is a better album than either of the UYI albums isn't really so much of a GN'R fan as they are a fan of AXL and/or the supporting cast of that lone album.

Hmm? I think Chinese Democracy is a better album than Use Your Illusion I and Use Your Illusion II and that is purely because I am a fan of the music, it has nothing to do with any of the band members, including Axl. I like to think I am that objective.

That being said, I think the Illusions contain some really good individual songs, but also too many duds, and as an album they are terribly disjointed and all over the place. CD also contains great songs (There Was A Time, Better, Madagascar, Shackler's Revenge) and some duds (If The World, Scraped, This I Love) but is more cohesive and overall better album, in my humble opinion. That's just a personal opinion but I disagree it has anything with me being a fan of the band members.

Furthermore, although I vastly prefer Appetite for Destruction to any of the other GN'R albums, including Chinese Democracy, I have no issues with Tommy prophesizing that at some point Chinese Democracy will be considered the best GN'R album. When all us who lived through these albums have died out and people judge them entirely objectively, who knows what album will stand out to these people of the future? Personally, I think Appetite will have the most appeal but I take no issue with Tommy having a different and legitimate opinion. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I like so fine 🤷‍♂️

11 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

I like so fine 🤷‍♂️

I guess So Fine is growing on me. When I heard it a couple of days ago, I had been going home after work, but I listened to it on a day off and it actually sounds kind of okay. 🤔 

On a certain Website, when I was becoming a major Guns N'Roses Fan, they said something like,Guns N'Roses original band Members are: Axl: Vocals. Izzy: Rhythm Guitar. Slash: Lead Guitar. Duff: Bass Guitar, Steven: Drummer." I thought,"This Website is saying that Axl is the ONLY one singing, that can't be right because it's clear that there are other voices singing with him, especially in Sweet Child Of Mine, especially the "Where do we go ? Where do we go now? " Part. 🤨🤔 No way is that Axl singing that part in Sweet Child Of Mine all by himself!  🤔🤨 I soon found another Website that said something like, "Axl: Lead Vocals, Duff: Backing Vocals and Bass Guitar, Izzy, Backing Vocals and Rhythm Guitar." And I was like,"I knew Axl had backing Singers and he wasn't the ONLY Singer, Duff and Izzy sing too! 😀

3 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

I find it odd that if you go to guns n roses main website, there’s nothing really to do with the songs on it.

Are you talking about this website, or the official Guns N'Roses Website, i.e, one that Axl himself started? 🤔

• Haha 1

So, I remember asking why the name of Guns N'Roses is Guns N'Roses when there is only ONE person named Rose in the band. I said that they should have been called Guns N'Rose." The reply was,"Guns N'Roses sounds better than Guns N'Rose." I just VERY recently learned that Duff is actually the other Rose. 🤔😳 I did NOT know that! 😳🤔

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Karice said:

So, I remember asking why the name of Guns N'Roses is Guns N'Roses when there is only ONE person named Rose in the band. I said that they should have been called Guns N'Rose." The reply was,"Guns N'Roses sounds better than Guns N'Rose." I just VERY recently learned that Duff is actually the other Rose. 🤔😳 I did NOT know that! 😳🤔

That's not the story behind it 😂

Danny and Stay Of Execution, thank you for your answers, 😀 but I was talking about the "Roses," part. 😀 I asked why it was called "Roses," when only Axl is named Rose, but I did research and it was said that Duff is sometimes called "Duff Rose," which does make sense to call it Roses if Axl Rose and Duff "Rose," are both in the band. :)