Perhaps - August 18. UPDATE IV: A New Hope (Radio Premiere Tomorrow?)

7 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

Axl failed to promote it you mean. No one else. Just Axl. To go missing when the album comes out after all those years was the final nail. No video, no interview until Jan 09 and he knew full well that he was making a bold statement in one of those interviews saying Slash is a cancer. That was his idea of promotion. Two interviews then the Asian tour 11 months later. 

Actually he did a third interview with a random Michigan newspaper, but it was behind a paywall so we didn't find out til over a decade later.

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1

10 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

“Absurd,” “Hard Skool” and “Perhaps” all could have used an additional verse rather than repeating. 

Absurd and Perhaps for sure. Hard Skool, I believe, has two different verses though, no? At least some sort of variation in the Absurd verses (other than the timing shift) would have brought a little more to it.

I think one of the issues with Perhaps is it just takes *so long* to get to that chorus. Those verses go on forever. I don't know that another would fix that - though some different lyrics might make it feel different, of course. I also think it's a mistake to 'stop' the song before restarting for the final verse and chorus. There needs to be a better transition there. 

3 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Absurd and Perhaps for sure. Hard Skool, I believe, has two different verses though, no? At least some sort of variation in the Absurd verses (other than the timing shift) would have brought a little more to it.

I think one of the issues with Perhaps is it just takes *so long* to get to that chorus. Those verses go on forever. I don't know that another would fix that - though some different lyrics might make it feel different, of course. I also think it's a mistake to 'stop' the song before restarting for the final verse and chorus. There needs to be a better transition there. 

I liked those harmony guitars in the second verse of the demo. 

Couldnt hear them in the jukebox recording, but migth be that we hear most sounds from just one speaker, I hope there is some additional guitar to the rythm.

Somebody talked about a talkbox sound in the jukebox-version - anybody hear that?

I revisited the 2019 thread about the Perhaps leak. It was hailed as if it was the second coming of Jesus, as were some of the other leaks. "One of the best GN'R songs ever", "one of the best songs ever". With that rave response, it's logical that GN'R might have thought that it was one of the tracks to be prioritized for release.

Maybe the response was the result of a collective delusion caused by the euphoria of hearing previously unheard songs after a long time, but it's interesting to observe the partial shift in regards to the song from then to now.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

Axl failed to promote it you mean. No one else. Just Axl. To go missing when the album comes out after all those years was the final nail. No video, no interview until Jan 09 and he knew full well that he was making a bold statement in one of those interviews saying Slash is a cancer. That was his idea of promotion. Two interviews then the Asian tour 11 months later. 

The record company are his boss, they're in charge...more than one to blame

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

18 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I revisited the 2019 thread about the Perhaps leak. It was hailed as if it was the second coming of Jesus, as were some of the other leaks. "One of the best GN'R songs ever", "one of the best songs ever".

i-feel-like-im-taking-crazy-pills-will-f

10 minutes ago, General2112 said:

Who do we think will play the piano live Axl or Dizzy?

I’d imagine Dizzy would handle it live. Especially if Axl’s gotta try and tackle the chorus.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I revisited the 2019 thread about the Perhaps leak. It was hailed as if it was the second coming of Jesus, as were some of the other leaks. "One of the best GN'R songs ever", "one of the best songs ever". With that rave response, it's logical that GN'R might have thought that it was one of the tracks to be prioritized for release.

Maybe the response was the result of a collective delusion caused by the euphoria of hearing previously unheard songs after a long time, but it's interesting to observe the partial shift in regards to the song from then to now.

I still sort of feel that way about Perhaps, personally. I think it’s a shame that Axl never recorded a second verse though, and why I don’t think I will be able to say it’s one of the best GNR songs of all time. I still think it’s a very good track though, much better than it’s given credit for nowadays. It’s very melodic, epic, and a great evolution from the UYI albums. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

And I fully agree with you other comment about Team Brazil being Axl. I always question: if the mgmt team was just some US family (maybe even Axl's family), would people vent their frustration towards them as much? I'm not so sure.

Yes. You have a singer with issues who was “saved” by his ex’s (the one who ditched his ass) housekeeper/nanny. The nanny and her family subsequently take over running things for this singer. It’s a classic trope of a con or someone being swindled. Has nothing to do with where they’re from. 

• Like 3

All of my PRL album tracks I had uploaded on Soundcloud for the past 3 years were just removed all at once

Thyme

P.R.L.

Dub Suplex

D Tune

State of Grace

Devious Bastard

Quicksong

Eye On You

If The World (Removed in 2019 when first uploaded)

Nothing

Inside Out

Shackler's Revenge (Removed in 2019 when first uploaded)

Oklahaoma

Dummy

Edited by 2020_Intensions

27 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, that's how I remembered it. Personally I thought it was good but needed more work. The finished song is very good. 

1 minute ago, Martin Riggs said:

Yes. You have a singer with issues who was “saved” by his ex’s (the one who ditched his ass) housekeeper/nanny. The nanny and her family subsequently take over running things for this singer. It’s a classic trope of a con or someone being swindled. Has nothing to do with where they’re from. 

How is Axl conned or swindled? 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

I don't think there's any racial component to it. People are just frustrated by wishing their favorite band would just function like everyone else's favorite band seems to be able to function.

The (rapidly shrinking) diehard U2 fanbase does the same thing. First it was "Paul McGuine$$" they took issue with, and now it's Guy O'Seary who catches their ire. And they've been way more prolific than Guns N' Roses have.

I do because I am Brazilian and I notice the small nudges and cheap shots. I remember how people behave when Merck or whoever was in charge. Sure there are lots of criticism still, but it's different. It feels different. 

And like you said, it's all about Axl. He's the one in charge. He's the reason why TB does not work as they should, not the other way around.

26 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I still think it was the best of the leaks in 2019. But IMO the same euphoria is happening right now to the opposite: people are overanalyzing because it's gonna have the official treatment. Which is fair, it should work that way. 

• Like 3

Personally, I think it's nice that the 3 songs have had a bit from the previous era players on them.

Absurd (killswitch stuff, Buckethead)
Perhaps (start of solo, Robin)

Hard Skool (school bell, Pitman )

2 minutes ago, Stro said:

Personally, I think it's nice that the 3 songs have had a bit from the previous era players on them.

What? :lol:

53 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

Axl was projecting his inadequacies onto Slash. Slash is the reason he kept fucking up. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stro said:

How do we know that’s Pitman doing the bell?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

All of my PRL album tracks I had uploaded on Soundcloud for the past 3 years were just removed all at once

It was you! Thanks for hosting those for the last 3 years. I gave Oklahoma dozens and dozens of plays.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I still think Perhaps is one of the best songs of the leaks/CD era in general and thats why I came back to the forum actually.

State of Grace being my second fav.

Those two songs, in my opinion, are better than some stuff in AFD and UYI.

hardschool and absurd did nothing for me tho.

Edited by default_
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

Except it does. First and foremost, Beta was an immigrant. I can't find any background info, but it's very common for people with degree here having to work with low-income jobs in the US. Nonetheless, she would never been seing as "housekeeper/nanny" for the eternity if she wasn't from Latin America. It would be a success case, for her to become a manager after having to restart her life after a divorce.

• Like 1