09/17/23 - Atlanta, GA - Music Midtown Festival (Piedmont Park)

downzy

7 minutes ago, gabmmor said:

Setlist: It’s So Easy, Bad Obsession, Chinese Democracy, Mr. Brownstone, Slither, Rumble/Welcome To The Jungle, Pretty Tied Up, Double Talkin’ Jive, You Could Be Mine, Down On The Farm, Hard Skool, Perhaps, Absurd, Rocket Queen, T.V. Eye, Anything Goes, Civil War/(Voodoo Child), Band Introductions, Slash Solo/Sweet Child O’ Mine, November Rain, Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door, Live And Let Die, Patience, Don’t Cry, Nightrain, Paradise City

(HTGTH)

When was the last time L&LD was played this late in a show?

4 hours ago, cineater said:

Hey what happen to the tutus?  There must be some place appropriate I could wear a light up tutu.  You know I had a pink one but that's now cover in mud.  They had a good time.

Careful with that tutu in the mud. Wouldn't want to get maggots in your pussy!

Edited by evilfacelessturtle

3 hours ago, themadcaplaughs said:

At the show. Everyone around me commenting on how great Axl sounds. Goes to show the forums aren’t the end all be all. He’s on fire tonight; going for it with the stage presence more than I’ve ever seen him.

They just finished KOHD. Axl said they’re not doing an encore break due to curfew; they jumped right into LALD.

Axl has been consistent vocal wise. The only song I could notice him struggling with was Hard Skool. Best Slither I’ve heard from them at the shows I’ve seen since they started playing that song. Ironically, of the new songs, I’d say Absurd actually got best reaction. At the end of the Absurd story Axl said “it seemed like an appropriate memory given that I wrote the song about an asshole.”

Axl usually always sounds better in person with the band kicking ass around him. Youtube/phone recordings always seek out the vocals and highlight them much more than is normally heard in a live mix. I've never been able to complain though having been lucky to only see good shows from Axl (Indianapolis 2011 with nu-Guns, Cincinnati 2016, and with Axl/DC). 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, themadcaplaughs said:

I was bummed too, but it's a festival show in the middle of Midtown Atlanta so I am sure they had a strict curfew. My biggest "oh man" was not seeing "Reckless Life". 

I don't think I'd ever go see GnR at a festival or anywhere with a curfew.  For me, part of the experience is the 3+ hour show.  I definitely was glad to see Reckless Life a few days ago.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, djtripp20 said:

So we're home and settled. 2 second review... Highlight of the night was Absurd... It sounded amazing. He had the place jumping. Never in a million years would I think that silkworms would be good... but it was on another level.

Honestly Perhaps was great too. He finally stopped singing the shouts on the chorus and it was perfect.

Melissa was showcased quite a few times with her vocals on various tracks. I don't think I've seen that before (again I don't follow the tour religiously because I want to enjoy the experience).

Didn't expect to hear Pretty Tied Up and Down on the Farm, so that was badass.

Really the only negative was the show felt rushed at the end and we didn't get to hear tracks like Estranged, Coma, etc. The jams during Rocket Queen and KOHD were just forever. 

All in all, it's my 5th GNR show and it was great. Axl sounded fantastic live and that's what it's about. Everyone had a great time and I can't wait until the next one... hopefully without the piss smelling mud haha. 

But did you get a litho???

2 hours ago, djtripp20 said:

So we're home and settled. 2 second review... Highlight of the night was Absurd... It sounded amazing. He had the place jumping. Never in a million years would I think that silkworms would be good... but it was on another level.

Honestly Perhaps was great too. He finally stopped singing the shouts on the chorus and it was perfect.

Melissa was showcased quite a few times with her vocals on various tracks. I don't think I've seen that before (again I don't follow the tour religiously because I want to enjoy the experience).

Really the only negative was the show felt rushed at the end and we didn't get to hear tracks like Estranged, Coma, etc. The jams during Rocket Queen and KOHD were just forever. 

All in all, it's my 5th GNR show and it was great. Axl sounded fantastic live and that's what it's about. Everyone had a great time and I can't wait until the next one... hopefully without the piss smelling mud haha. 

Anyone seen it got any videos of Perhaps from last night? Keen to see it ...

2 hours ago, djtripp20 said:

Good to hear. Which tracks in particular?

45 minutes ago, djtripp20 said:

I didn't attend this show but agree that Absurd is great as a live song.  It's not something I want to listen to at home but it just works live.

It seems they've moved Melissa's mic up in the mix.  Her vocals were much more noticeable Friday night than any of the prior reunion shows I've been to.  I used to barely hear her in person or in videos.

I went back and watched the version of Down on the Farm that they did at Farm Aid in 1990 and I actually think I prefer Axl's current vocal treatment of it.  Civil War, not so much!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, djtripp20 said:

I agree with the ending feeling rushed, and Absurd rocked! I loved Perhaps, seems like Axl is finally “figuring out” how to sing this song live 😂 to me they sounded fantastic too! 🤘🏼

10 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

I didn't attend this show but agree that Absurd is great as a live song.  It's not something I want to listen to at home but it just works live.

It seems they've moved Melissa's mic up in the mix.  Her vocals were much more noticeable Friday night than any of the prior reunion shows I've been to.  I used to barely hear her in person or in videos.

I went back and watched the version of Down on the Farm that they did at Farm Aid in 1990 and I actually think I prefer Axl's current vocal treatment of it.  Civil War, not so much!

Down on the farm was a treat! I’ve always loved the song, their current set list is awesome! They’re pouring themselves in

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HOOSIER GUNZ said:

Kudos! Gun-Z! That is exactly how I’d like to see’em next time, at deer creek in hoosierville

fuck these giant stadiums!!

Yeah!! It was easy for me to get close to the stage, I guess it was how this stage was set up. Have fun at your gig! 🤘🏼

Edited by Gun-Z

3 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Anyone seen it got any videos of Perhaps from last night? Keen to see it ...

Here's the only one I've seen so far. Perhaps starts at 41:20

https://www.facebook.com/ericscotS/videos/766312758630266/?mibextid=NnVzG8

That's my goof, drunk ass jamming with the long arms in the center.

Stay for Absurd right after... best I've ever seen live

Edited by djtripp20
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Gun-Z said:

I got to say, I don’t post often but browse through the forum whenever there’s news or when they’re touring and I’m so glad I decided to go to this show and check it out for myself. This was my 3rd reunion show and it totally rocked! I got a litho and the shows T-shirt, got to experience the band in a festival setting, heard the “new” songs, I was about 10 ft from slash, and they were on fire! They got lots of energy, fans love them, they’re full of charisma, I know slash gets shit on for “noodling guitar solos” but he owned that stage and I loved his playing 🔥 Seeing Duff and Slash up there cements their legacy and the chemistry is so clear. I like the current set list, it’s fresh and involves all releases 👏🏼lol at Axl when he mentioned something about the crowd smoking medicinal weed or something, I may have partaken in the smoking of a legal substance. All this to say, the band seems refreshed, getting along, and having fun.. they were in great spirits. I’m so glad I got to experience GNR in this capacity! Also , incubus rocked! I enjoyed their set! Rock on gunners!

Here are some pictures I took: 

https://flic.kr/ps/42Xsre

Can you post photos of the merch when you get a minute plz?

• Thanks 1