"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

3 hours ago, luciusfunk said:

Especially before the internet and streaming.

I think it's still the biggest part today, the preodering is the biggest push an album gets sales wise, that's why we have like 4 singles before an album comes out nowadays instead of how it used to be: release one single then work the sales and album for a year or so. Now albums sort of just die out a month after they've come out after the initial push.

I'd argue people hearing the song before in this case might actually even lower the preorder sales. The only people that will still order a physical copy of a single like this when both songs are easily 24/7 readily available on streaming or mp3 anytime, are hardcore enthusiasts. Being able to hear the song a few days before anyone else gives that target audience even more incentive to preorder. And GNR fans are starved for new music already anyways they will eat this up.

And it's not like the vinyl will be gone from the store after it comes out lol, people can hear it and buy it anytime afterwards anyways. 

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

9 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Wasn't it was taken off more recent setlists? I think there's actually a decent chance they don't play it live... from what we know, it's got lots of high raspy vocals. Axl would probably have to sing it similarly to the bridge part of Better, which was disastrous before the song was finally dropped.

If they released The General on its own, they'd be expected to play it live. But if it's a B-side that's released shortly after the tour ends, they'll still be able to release a good song (that hopefully matches the quality of TWAT, Prostitute, etc.) but Axl won't have to shred his voice trying to scream through it every night...

I hope I get to hear the song in Vancouver but I won't be surprised if they don't play it.

Didn't think about the vocal stress of doing it live. Good thought, and a possibility it won't be heard beforehand, if that's the reason it's released after tour ends. 

Hope your wrong though, and the gnr machine whips into gear with new vid, shirt, & Live song before tour ends. 

Haven't been this excited since LL's. 

• Like 1

We don’t know if the General is actually a new song… we’ve know the title we’ve heard the cellphone clip and the orchestral part

but it might have been reworked from scratch and it might even have new vocals 

I’m pretty sure vocals are old but the song structure and instrumental may be new 

2 hours ago, alangarcianr said:

We don’t know if the General is actually a new song… we’ve know the title we’ve heard the cellphone clip and the orchestral part

but it might have been reworked from scratch and it might even have new vocals 

I’m pretty sure vocals are old but the song structure and instrumental may be new 

Let me pose to you the following question:

So what?

Does any of this really matter, apart from us writing our little posts on forums like these no one gives a fuck about any of this, people just want a good song and we think we might get one here from knowing what we know. 40 year old Axl, 60 year old Axl, who cares what time of his life he recorded it, when it sounds good, leave it be.

Do we really need to go full CSI mode to figure all this shit out, can we take a step back and acknowledge the insane thing we are actually doing here: trying to find out when those sounds we hear were recorded into a microphone? Lmao it sounds stupid as hell when you spell it out like that.

It seems like people want to write a doctorate thesis on this shit at times, why can't we just accept that our band will put out a product that they believe in, and that's it? We will get to hear what the band intended for us to hear, if any of what was recorded was disliked it will be redone, and that's the way it should be, or not? I don't know why it's being discussed like it really matters in the end when what was done.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, metalavenger99 said:

Well, how weird it is that they didn’t went the EP route and instead they are releasing this and Perhaps just as an A/B single on Vinyl, no CD, no cassette, and no special editions, it’s strange that they are not selling those. 

Yet.... Theres a Christmas market to exploit and they'll get the double dippers too who bought the first one. What was the release schedule in 2021/22 again re the different Vinyls/CD's? Interested what came first and last....

2 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Let me pose to you the following question:

So what?

Does any of this really matter, apart from us writing our little posts on forums like these no one gives a fuck about any of this, people just want a good song and we think we might get one here from knowing what we know. 40 year old Axl, 60 year old Axl, who cares what time of his life he recorded it, when it sounds good, leave it be.

Do we really need to go full CSI mode to figure all this shit out, can we take a step back and acknowledge the insane thing we are actually doing here: trying to find out when those sounds we hear were recorded into a microphone? Lmao it sounds stupid as hell when you spell it out like that.

It seems like people want to write a doctorate thesis on this shit at times, why can't we just accept that our band will put out a product that they believe in, and that's it? We will get to hear what the band intended for us to hear, if any of what was recorded was disliked it will be redone, and that's the way it should be, or not? I don't know why it's being discussed like it really matters in the end when what was done.

Yeah I wasn’t complaining or anything. I’d accept even Eye On You with slash on it

9 hours ago, Rovim said:

the thought that is burned into my brain during most of the day is: "The General is coming, for real" and that's a nice thought to have.

Lol im on a motorcycle trip in Wyoming doing Beartooth pass and Yellowstone park and my buddy said dont kill yourself on your trip knowing you were 2 months away from finally hearing the General……. that wasnt a nice thought to have

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Yet.... Theres a Christmas market to exploit and they'll get the double dippers too who bought the first one. What was the release schedule in 2021/22 again re the different Vinyls/CD's? Interested what came first and last....

I believe they all came out at the same time in 2021 

35 minutes ago, Nick85 said:

I can’t believe how well they’ve kept this track under wraps considering it has 20 years of hype behind it. Wonder if it starts popping up at soundchecks “soon”.

Makes me think there are more under wraps… no matter what Pele thinks :lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nick85 said:

I can’t believe how well they’ve kept this track under wraps considering it has 20 years of hype behind it. Wonder if it starts popping up at soundchecks “soon”.

There's is no hype at all beyond these forums and never was...

On 8/27/2023 at 4:03 PM, colonizedmind said:

I know I’m probably way off here, but what if there is actually an album or another EP coming out this year? 

2 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

That's The Garden. If it's indeed real.

I thought of The Garden, too, when I heard it, but then the vocal from Duff (?) didn't sound so much like it.

It's real and it's from Budapest. Alice Cooper was backstage at that show.

Just now, Blackstar said:

I thought of The Garden, too, when I heard it, but then the vocal from Duff (?) didn't sound so much like it.

I see. So yeah, it's The Garden. But they sound like they were trying to learn how to play it. The vocal seems buried in the natural reverb from the arena, I wouldn't take much of it.

My two cents: they were planning on having Alice singing this song on stage but it didn't quite worked out as it wasn't rehearsed to a good point.

4 minutes ago, Dani_1455 said:

It's real It was posted by someone I don't remember on GNRevolution a couple of days ago, It's from the soundcheck on Bucharest and Axl is singing so...

I'm not sure the vocals are Axl, but still, it could be just him figuring out how to sing it.

Just now, Voodoochild said:

I see. So yeah, it's The Garden. But they sound like they were trying to learn how to play it. The vocal seems buried in the natural reverb from the arena, I wouldn't take much of it.

My two cents: they were planning on having Alice singing this song on stage but it didn't quite worked out as it wasn't rehearsed to a good point.

Yes, this makes sense. They haven't played The Garden since 1993 - and they have probably not even listened to it since then - so it also makes sense that they were relearning it. Actually Duff played it on one of his radio shows around that time and commented that he hadn't listened to it in years.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, JCStrings99 said:

Has anyone caught this?

Edit: I showed this to my girlfriend the other day and she immediately mentioned it sounded a bit like Black Sabbath.

deffo the garden sounds like Duff's trying to sing the line "Everybody's gone to the garden" but his kinda singing differnt lines to it. Franks learning it by the sound of it & someone was really out of tune maybe 4tus and it doesn't sound like Axl's there at all just duff trying to remember the words

Edited by kingcanyon

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I was there during this soundcheck in Budapest and remember that I heard something I couldn't realize what actually was, it sounded just like a random jam to me in that moment.  So, this is maybe that stuff I heard.

Axl wasn't there during the soundcheck, Duff was on vocals for ISE, so this is probably also him.

• Like 4