"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

It's worth remembering that Civil War was also a B-side ( at least in the Uk it was, initially). 

My own hunch is that there was never any intention to perform The General live - most likely because Axl can no longer sing it - so that's why it is being released towards the end of the tour...and without much fanfare....

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

For some reason, I'm trying to not set expectations too high on this. I do like what I can hear on that cell phone recording, and that seems to be at least 1/3 of the song (2 min). 

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

And who knows, maybe we'll get another video out of it. But that's crazy talk. 

I really hope for this to be the case. The Perhaps' video helped a lot and really made a difference. 

• PERHAPS 1

19 minutes ago, Bansidhe said:

TWAT on Kerrang Radio.

GN'R Week apparently...

Wonder if they've been told to promote them ahead of something 🤔 

Presenter complementary about Chinese too...

I heard Better the other day on that station, very complimentary about the album

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

This not the case of a band having created a surplus of songs for an album and then decided to release the best songs off the album as singles with leftovers on the B side. This is Axl wanting to release music that means a lot to him and was intended for the follow-up to Chinese Democracy. Maybe he doesn't think less of The General than Perhaps, but it has to do with chronology of the songs, their radio-friendliness, pairing the right music styles together on releases, etc?

Why do we keep using "radio-friendliness" as a factor in any decision making theories? New GnR music doesn't get radio play. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Carnal894x said:

Prostitute is one of my favorite songs on that album. Also from what I can hear from the Vienna after party and if it is supposed to be the "sequel to Estranged" then I have a feeling it's going to be one of the best of the CD era songs so far especially if Axl feels it's ready to be heard finally. Been wanting this one the most along with Soul Monster, I just hope we get to hear the NuGnr version one day. 

Axl doesn't feel like it's finally ready to be heard. It's just simply one of the very few songs left he has finished that can be released. Axl gave up on this stuff a long time ago as any creative and emotional statement. 

3 minutes ago, Jwalker19 said:

So, I've actually never heard the cellphone clip that everyone speaks of from years ago. Can anybody help a brother out?

If you went this long without hearing it, you might as well just not listen at all, you're very close to hearing the actual song lol

• Like 1
  • PERHAPS 1

7 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Why do we keep using "radio-friendliness" as a factor in any decision making theories? New GnR music doesn't get radio play. 

Maybe they are hoping for it? Not that I believe they expect to take the world by storm but surely whatever little rotation they can get is of value to the extent that they might do a bit more promotion for certain singles than others, which might be relocated to B-sides with less promotion. 

31 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

And they put Absurd out first, so I put zero stock in release order

• Like 4

I just don't see why "it wouldn't work as a single" matters when they're just finishing up old songs and releasing them individually. There's no album that people may or may not buy based off hearing "The General", worse case scenario you release it to stream and people just don't like it. 

Of course on the flip side, if all they're doing is finishing up old songs and putting them out here and there it really doesn't matter if they tack one onto the single for another. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 3coloursbeige said:

It's worth remembering that Civil War was also a B-side ( at least in the Uk it was, initially). 

My own hunch is that there was never any intention to perform The General live - most likely because Axl can no longer sing it - so that's why it is being released towards the end of the tour...and without much fanfare....

But it 100% will be performed live, but unlikely for this particular tour... If Axl was afraid of it, then he wouldn't release it. I think Axl releases material without thinking can he do it live or not. He has the cross the bridge when it comes to it approach... Amazingly he sounded better on Perhaps the first night (still not amazing) and has since got worse and worse 

I can’t imagine The General will be released with zero fanfare. It might not get a video rollout like Perhaps, but I imagine it will at least have its own single art and YouTube treatment similar to Hard Skool.

• Like 1