"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

25 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

As long as it's not State of Grace, I'll be completely satisfied with it no matter what.

I was at the San Diego show two weeks ago, and was assured by someone that's heard it that it was good.  So it's not just some piece of shit instrumental.  It's a real song.

If that song is State of Grace, it's a crushing disappointment cause it's not new.

If it's an actual NEW song from the CD sessions we haven't heard before?  It's fucking awesome.

Did that person hear the Evader version? 😛 

8 hours ago, Tio Didi said:

Yeah, when Chinese Democracy was released, I had the clear impression that those were not the best songs. They were just the songs that had been leaked bt that time.

That is why I believe Catcher made the first album. It was slated for CD2 for the longest time. 

21 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

No, the person I asked was Tom Mayhue, Axl's road manager.  He's the guy that went viral a few months ago for saying that there will be new music soon.

I didn't wanna bombard him with questions so I just asked him if he's heard it and if it's any good, and his answer was "yes."

He's not going to say "it sucks". Of course, he was going to say "yes".

Actually "yes" is the worst boring answer because if he really like it....he'd elaborate on why it is good.

• Like 2

Does it matter what someone else thinks, anyway? Obviously it is good enough to be released by GN'R and can then be anything from the worst song they have ever put out (like, in my case, If The World or something like that) to the best song they have ever put out (like, again in my case, Welcome To The Jungle). People around will only say what they think they should say, anyway, and whatever they think might not at all have any relevance to what I will think.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tio Didi said:

Yeah, when Chinese Democracy was released, I had the clear impression that those were not the best songs. They were just the songs that had been leaked bt that time.

I felt that was the impression the band and those orbiting it gave off. It's what I believed. But with hindsight it doesn't really appear there was much more there outside of CD2. I doubt the tracks on CD itself were selected because of the leaks. My guess is that the CD tracks were the only 14-15 songs that were "done" enough to release at the time and not because of the leaks. We know Atlas was dropped last minute. But some of those CD songs we were told weren't going to be on the album and were anyways. Maybe Axl wanted a smaller track list or what not to help space out 2-3 more albums, but I think we got what was ready to go at that time. 

Hopefully there are more big guns and the General and future to-be-released unreleased songs really are what the pillars of CD2 and CD3 would have been.

35 minutes ago, bumbleslash69 said:

I felt that was the impression the band and those orbiting it gave off. It's what I believed. But with hindsight it doesn't really appear there was much more there outside of CD2. I doubt the tracks on CD itself were selected because of the leaks. My guess is that the CD tracks were the only 14-15 songs that were "done" enough to release at the time and not because of the leaks. We know Atlas was dropped last minute. But some of those CD songs we were told weren't going to be on the album and were anyways. Maybe Axl wanted a smaller track list or what not to help space out 2-3 more albums, but I think we got what was ready to go at that time. 

Hopefully there are more big guns and the General and future to-be-released unreleased songs really are what the pillars of CD2 and CD3 would have been.

My understanding is by 2008, they had two albums worth of completed material, and the quality and type of material between the two albums was similar. The follow-up (CD2) was planned for 2009, Axl himself stated this in the chats. 

So in other words, the 2008 album was a sampler of the overall 30(ish) songs that were ready at that time. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

My understanding is by 2008, they had two albums worth of completed material, and the quality and type of material between the two albums was similar. The follow-up (CD2) was planned for 2009, Axl himself stated this in the chats. 

So in other words, the 2008 album was a sampler of the overall 30(ish) songs that were ready at that time. 

I also think that whatever is in the vault will sound similar to the other CD tracks.

We shouldn't expect anything else really. Maybe Duff and Slash add some classic GNR flavor to it, which can make it better (or worse) depending on what you like. But that's it.

Edited by Lethalis
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Lethalis said:

I also think that whatever is in the vault will sound similar to the other CD tracks.

We shouldn't expect anything else really. Maybe Duff and Slash add some classic GNR flavor to it, which can make it better (or worse) depending on what you like. But that's it.

That really sums it up well. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Man that’s depressing if true that we never got that follow up all at once(since we seem to be getting it piece by piece 14 years later) been listening to CD a lot lately and have always loved the album, but we had heard 90% of it before as it basically  leaked out in pieces and a brand new album of never before heard stuff from Guns N Roses of anything is such a pipe dream for us fans its hard to even contemplate it 😂 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Nick85 said:

Anyone else suspecting a digital release on the 27th is *not* a given?

I'm still not totally convinced of a digital release. The Hard Skool EP wasn't released on streaming services so I don't see why the Perhaps vinyl would be any different. I could see it eventually appearing on streaming services but from a marketing standpoint, it makes more sense for The General to be exclusive to the vinyl. 

As with most things relating to this band, I'd love to be wrong :)

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Gibson87 said:

I'm still not totally convinced of a digital release. The Hard Skool EP wasn't released on streaming services so I don't see why the Perhaps vinyl would be any different. I could see it eventually appearing on streaming services but from a marketing standpoint, it makes more sense for The General to be exclusive to the vinyl. 

As with most things relating to this band, I'd love to be wrong :)

Not that it matters with this band but I don't think it makes more sense from a marketing POV. For the sake of a few thousand Vinyl shipped keeping it exclusive to that would be a bizarre move. 

Fully expecting a proper launch - but then again, who knows with this band.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Nick85 said:

Anyone else suspecting a digital release on the 27th is *not* a given?

It should be streaming by the 27th or even earlier if the band believes in the song imo. Especially as Perhaps is getting close to ending its cycle as a single (it peaked weeks ago and is falling down the charts now) so it wouldn’t be stepping on any positive momentum for that tune. If it’s not then it’s probably just seen as a throwaway track to satisfy some diehards and get some people to purchase the physical single of Perhaps. Hopefully it‘s the former but I’m starting to worry it’s the latter. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AtlasShrugged said:

Not that it matters with this band but I don't think it makes more sense from a marketing POV. For the sake of a few thousand Vinyl shipped keeping it exclusive to that would be a bizarre move. 

Fully expecting a proper launch - but then again, who knows with this band.

It also makes sense mainly from the point of view, do we wanna play whack-a-mole day after day of killing unofficial uploads to YT, etc 

• Like 1

I'm starting to think that if it is gunna hit streaming platforms, it's gunna drop with little to no rigamarole. Didn't they do that with Perhaps? Sure, radio stations announced it and all that but their own feeds didn't mention anything until it was available? I could be wrong, maybe it was the night before. 

Either way. The fact that we're probably just over a week away from finally hearing this song in any real form makes my nipples hard. 

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, estrangedtwat said:

No, the person I asked was Tom Mayhue, Axl's road manager.  He's the guy that went viral a few months ago for saying that there will be new music soon.

I didn't wanna bombard him with questions so I just asked him if he's heard it and if it's any good, and his answer was "yes."

Why didn't you ask him if they are dropping more singles from the CD sessions :(