"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

23 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

This is going back a page or two at this point, and it was off topic to begin with. But since it dominated about 10 pages worth of discussion…

I had definitely heard the title Perhaps before the song leaked in 2019. I can’t say for certain where (Maybe it was the list from MSL?) or when, but it was a long time ago. When it first leaked I remember scouring the GN’R sites looking for earlier references to the song title without any luck - I had originally thought it was a song title that eventually got debunked, mentioned in the same breaths as 2,000 Intentions, Cock-A-Roach Soup, etc. But it was pretty easy to find that wasn’t the case. Some sort of info MSL put out there in the early 2010’s seems next most likely, as it wasn’t a song title @Dexter was asked about when he confirmed song titles from a list of rumors. The other reason MSL as a source makes sense is a lot of his postings have been scrubbed from the internet, both here and elsewhere. At the time of that data dump from him we were handling moderation differently than we do now (we used to actually delete posts, nowadays we only hide them so that we still have a permanent record of anything we need to take down) so it would be hard to find anything on here, m.sl doesn’t exist anymore, and he got banned from at least a couple other forums at the time too. 

For the record I’m not really someone that’s privy to any sort of info that isn’t public knowledge. It’s possible I got shown a screenshot at some point by somebody in private but that doesn’t ring any bells with me. But I’m absolutely certain I’d heard that song title well before 2019. 

I believe you. But I don't think that the title came from MSL. Because if so, why didn't he mention it in his blackmailing carebear video, with all the other titles? Must have been another source. 

Htgth had some rumored song titles in the early 2000s. As you mentioned, "cock-a-roach soup, no love remains", and others. But I don't remember "perhaps" beeing listed there... 

What about this fake backside foto of CD or CD II?  Maybe someone here still has it? 

Edited by ZODIAC
  • GNFNR 1

From February 2011:

An alleged MSL tracklisting -

Atlas

Cuban Skies

Goin' Down

Jackie Chan

Light My Fire

Monstrosity

Silk Worms

Soul Monster

The General

Thyme

Tonto

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?pid=187427#p187427

- just an example post.

This is what was pushed. Alot of the things MSL pushed were half truths, but he was the source of Tonto. None of the posts or msl himself mention Perhaps at all. 

IF anyone had heard of it pre 2019, it wasn't from this

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

From February 2011:

An alleged MSL tracklisting -

Atlas

Cuban Skies

Goin' Down

Jackie Chan

Light My Fire

Monstrosity

Silk Worms

Soul Monster

The General

Thyme

Tonto

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?pid=187427#p187427

- just an example post.

This is what was pushed. Alot of the things MSL pushed were half truths, but he was the source of Tonto. None of the posts or msl himself mention Perhaps at all. 

IF anyone had heard of it pre 2019, it wasn't from this

He was also the original source of Goin Down. No one else ever mentioned it until later in 2011 when fans asked BBF and he described it as "earthy".

51 minutes ago, DannyVinyard said:

What if you love his work from AFD and UYI, but hate his inferior CD replacement solos?

Probably over 90% of their material and set is AFD and UYI so you shouldn't worry too much. 

Better than getting a guitarist in the band that suits CD better but plays inferior solos on 90+% material and can't sell tickets 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ZODIAC said:

What about this fake backside foto of CD or CD II?  Maybe someone here still has it? 

That back cover started to float around in 2007 and it always intrigued me because, while it was generally thought to be fake, when the actual album came out we saw the choice of colors and fonts was quite close to the genuine artwork. Could totally be a coincidence, of course.

I talked about that cover in this thread from many years ago, but the imageshack link to that image is obviously dead:

That said, I'm 100% sure that the back cover from 2007 didn't include Perhaps. If The World was listed just as "If", that I remember for sure.

Regarding whether or not that tracklist screenshot was shared (including Perhaps) before 2019, I honestly don't remember.

• GNFNR 1

5 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

That back cover started to float around in 2007 and it always intrigued me because, while it was generally thought to be fake, when the actual album came out we saw the choice of colors and fonts was quite close to the genuine artwork. Could totally be a coincidence, of course.

I talked about that cover in this thread from many years ago, but the imageshack link to that image is obviously dead:

That said, I'm 100% sure that the back cover from 2007 didn't include Perhaps. If The World was listed just as "If", that I remember for sure.

Regarding whether or not that tracklist screenshot was shared (including Perhaps) before 2019, I honestly don't remember.

If The World was completely unknown until the Skwerl leak in June 2008, so if a 2007 cover had "If" on it it was almost certainly legit.

5 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Still, that was months after the Care Bear video, so MSL is still the original source for the song.

Was it? I believe that was in January 2011. Back then, we got pictures of a setlist with Silkworms, Going Down and Oh My God. I think MSL's stuff came after that (and most likely, BECAUSE of that), as it's stated here:

26 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

From February 2011

EDIT: Nope, I was wrong. RIR 2011 happened in October.

Edited by Voodoochild

48 minutes ago, ZODIAC said:

I believe you. But I don't think that the title came from MSL. Because if so, why didn't he mention it in his blackmailing carebear video, with all the other titles? Must have been another source. 

Htgth had some rumored song titles in the early 2000s. As you mentioned, "cock-a-roach soup, no love remains", and others. But I don't remember "perhaps" beeing listed there... 

Like I said I honestly can’t remember where I saw it - I just remember I did see it somewhere at some point. It’s a vague enough word that it COULD be a coincidence that someone was BS’ing and it ended up being a real title, but…

3 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

If The World was completely unknown until the Skwerl leak in June 2008, so if a 2007 cover had "If" on it it was almost certainly legit.

If The World first appeared on a setlist pic posted on the old GN’R website by Del in a tour diary. It also included Riad (Still spelled “Rhiad”) and Perfect Crime. 

2 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Was it? I believe that was in January 2011. Back then, we got pictures of a setlist with Silkworms, Going Down and Oh My God. I think MSL's stuff came after that (and most likely, BECAUSE of that), as it's stated here:

The Rio setlist is the first I remember seeing Going Down from an official source. The MSL video was definitely earlier that year. If I remember right, that setlist was also our first reference to Riff Raff, which got played for the first time in the second night of the tour. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

The Rio setlist is the first I remember seeing Going Down from an official source. The MSL video was definitely earlier that year. If I remember right, that setlist was also our first reference to Riff Raff, which got played for the first time in the second night of the tour. 

That is correct. We were all disappointed in the Rio set because there were no new songs- even though we finally got Estranged! We felt starved even in 20- and- freaking- 11! :lol:

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 2
  • Sad 1
  • PERHAPS 1

1 minute ago, ZoSoRose said:

That is correct. We were all disappointed in the Rio set because there were no new songs- even though we finally got Estranged! We felt starved even in 20- and- freaking- 11! :lol:

That's when I heard about Going Down from a friend, which described the song to me (saying it was Tommy in the vocals, and that was more acoustic guitar driven). I told MSL (and darknemus) myself back then because I was curious if he had any additional information about it. He didn't. In fact, there were a lot of people who thought Going Down was Ain't Going Down reworked with the new band.