Atlas Shrugged (November Release?)

7 hours ago, Outofgascar said:

I’m not understanding the reason for another song to be released in November if the perhaps single is being shipped on October 27th. People will be digesting The General at that point and another single like Atlas would get in the way…..unless it’s an album or EP in November. 

IF there is another new song, wouldn’t it be released late September to mirror the releases of 2021? That’s what I think will happen. The General will launch late September or mid October. 

GnR logistics feels like common core maths. 

Not if the General is just a b-side without promo, but meant for the fans. Could be! I guess its not a very commercial track and Axl will not try to sing it live, so a new single Atlas Shrugged in November released on a EP/CD featuring Perhaps/Genereal/Atlas Shrugged/(new song)/(Livetrack)

• Like 1

Now they also have a live date in November and can release the single as a farewell for now, listen to this while we record the new album and will be back in late 24/early 25.

Everything Slash & co have said regarding UYI-box and new tracks (double EP?) seems to be true, even though the timeline has been shiftet a bit. 

So i guess the new album thing and working on this will continue after the tour

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Those "long ass unnecessary" intros to those songs adds a lot of atmosphere and make both songs more than just simple rockers. Waiting for those guitar riffs to kick in and then Axl's wailing is a great experience, every time. 

I think "long ass unnecessary" is a pretty accurate description. But I don't get the "atmosphere" thing of CD at all so what do I know...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I think it's incredibly arrogant to say what an artist thought was necessary for his album is "unnecessary" 

Why is arrogant? Besides being just my opinion (like many others here who said the same about the "hey hey" in Perhaps), CD's intro is ditched in the live performances and Riad's not only had legal problems attached, but was also ditched in the Rock Band version. Seems to me that even the artist considered both as disposable somewhat.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I think it's incredibly arrogant to say what an artist thought was necessary for his album is "unnecessary" 

Lol no, it's an opinion. If that is incredibly arrogant is it then incredibly arrogant to criticise Slash for noodling? I mean it's his artistic choice to play like that. If he thinks it's necessary for the song, how can you criticise that? 

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Why is arrogant? Besides being just my opinion (like many others here who said the same about the "hey hey" in Perhaps), CD's intro is ditched in the live performances and Riad's not only had legal problems attached, but was also ditched in the Rock Band version. Seems to me that even the artist considered both as disposable somewhat.

It's ditched because it doesn't open the show's anymore, like it opens the album ... C'mon dude 

I think if you have a minute intro and 30 second outro for atmosphere, it shouldn’t take up 25% of the runtime. If the song was much longer (which I would love as I love all the parts of CD) then the atmosphere building could be more justified. Or they could have left all the atmosphere stuff as a intro song to the album and then CD can be played entirely separately 

I personally see 0 added value to Chinese Democracy’s and Rhiad’s long ass intros either. I typically skip those 2 tracks when I listen to CD, not because I don’t like them, but because I’m terribly impatient. I’m a very deliberate music consumer. They’re barely audible ambient noises mostly. I feel the same about the Axl shouts in the Scraped intro. To me, intros like that are “unnecessary” on “simple rockers”. To each their own  

I remember a time when intros like those were separate tracks making them easily skippable.

If you like those those intros, that’s awesome. I wish I did!

• Haha 1

I like the CD intro, but it'd be awesome if they had released a single version without it. Rhiad, on the other hand, I barely ever listen to. Like... I probably haven't listened to the full song in over 5 years. Hate it. Even when I wanna listen to CD as a whole, I end up skipping it.

24 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

I like the CD intro, but it'd be awesome if they had released a single version without it. Rhiad, on the other hand, I barely ever listen to. Like... I probably haven't listened to the full song in over 5 years. Hate it. Even when I wanna listen to CD as a whole, I end up skipping it.

I got a new found appreciation for both after the village leaks. Love the demos. Tommy bumps hard!

2 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I expect The General to be available via streaming platforms/download well before the physical vinyl release.

Weird Perhaps/TG are not getting a CD release, at least yet. Maybe something else is brewing ;) 

Im not too sure about that, ref what I said about performing it live. 

Think something is brewing, lets hope for a Atlas/Oklahoma vinyl single and a CD/EP covering all 4 tracks and maybe some bonus live tracks

1 hour ago, Cosmo said:

Just do it yourself on an audio editor, I have for a playlist 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, betterman said:

Im not too sure about that, ref what I said about performing it live. 

Think something is brewing, lets hope for a Atlas/Oklahoma vinyl single and a CD/EP covering all 4 tracks and maybe some bonus live tracks

I don't think the band would ship The General on vinyl as the initial and only means to hearing it before it's available online, at least not intentionally. 

3 hours ago, Its Tino said:

I personally see 0 added value to Chinese Democracy’s and Rhiad’s long ass intros either. I typically skip those 2 tracks when I listen to CD, not because I don’t like them, but because I’m terribly impatient. I’m a very deliberate music consumer. They’re barely audible ambient noises mostly. I feel the same about the Axl shouts in the Scraped intro. To me, intros like that are “unnecessary” on “simple rockers”. To each their own  

I remember a time when intros like those were separate tracks making them easily skippable.

If you like those those intros, that’s awesome. I wish I did!

I like the version of Rhiad with Josh's drums, just wish it had the Bucket outro like the 2008 leak and album version. I can't stand the long intro, and Bumblefoot's solo on the album version. 

15 hours ago, betterman said:

they also have a live date in November and can release the single as a farewell for now, listen to this while we record the new album and will be back in late 24/early 25.

See you next summer with a whole bunch of new songs!

- Axl Rose (2001)

Edited by Slugworth
  • Haha 4

On 8/23/2023 at 12:50 AM, Atlas19 said:

Just saw this on Reddit.... maybe fake.... but here is the link. Judge by yourselves...

There's album title, release date, artwork and tracklist

What no Cock a Roach soup or Every rose has its thorn? 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I don't think the band would ship The General on vinyl as the initial and only means to hearing it before it's available online, at least not intentionally. 

I dunno, I think the idea of releasing it on vinyl at first and then a later digital rollout is a potential move they might make - what better way of drumming up hype than people getting the vinyl and talking about the song, creating even more anticipation? 

Same reason why I think Perhaps being released on Jukeboxes prior to release was not an accident - it got all GNR fans talking about Perhaps' imminent release way before it was ever released or broadcast via radio

• Like 2

On 8/23/2023 at 8:52 AM, Voodoochild said:

But keep in mind that the band released Shadow of your Love as a single with a new mix (and newly recorded overdubs and/or vocals) even if it was already released as a B side before. It still could happen with OMG too.

Just to be clear, the version of "Shadow of Your Love" released as a single from the Appetite is not just a different mix from the previous versions. This is entirely new, later, different recording.

The three versions were as follows:

"Live" version: This version was actually recorded at Pasha Studios and had audience noise overdubbed. It appeared as a b-side to the "It's So Easy" / "Mr. Brownstone" single and also on the 1988 EP

Sound City version: This was recorded as part of the Sound City sessions, which means it was actually recorded before the the above version. It was issued on the "Live and Let Die" single, and on some versions was tagged with a "live" signification which was odd as there is nothing identifiable about the recording being live, but maybe it was all recorded at once with no overdubs making it technically true, I don't know.

2018 single / Appetite re-issue version:  This was recorded with Mike Clink as apparently a kind of test to see if a collaboration between the band and him would work. This version is my favorite of the versions and honestly sounds like it could have been recorded yesterday. And maybe it was extensively tinkered with shortly before its release? If it was, I suspect we'll never know. I personally don't think anything was added instrumentally or vocally but that the remix was pretty extensive and brought out and/or pushed back things in the mix that might not have had the same choices in '86 or '87. But who knows?

Edited by Jim V.
  • Like 4

On 8/23/2023 at 4:14 PM, Voodoochild said:

For sure. It is what I want too: to have more new songs, not rehashed releases. I love OMG the way it is, including Dave Navarro's underrated solo. The only thing I really would like is a revamped mix, with better drum sound and clearer vocals.

Being realistic though, I don't think any kind of rerelease would happen unless it's aid another thing. Like the band rereleasing it with reworked arrangement, but not as a standalone single. More like a bonus, a B-side or something just to add to the physical release. 

I’ve always wondered, does Dave Navarro play that whole guitar solo section from 2:23 - 2:53? The only reason I ask is because Finck, Tobias and Gary Sunshine are all listed as playing guitar on that track too and I’d love to know specifically which part Dave plays!!

22 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

It's ditched because it doesn't open the show's anymore, like it opens the album ... C'mon dude 

As @Voodoochild said, and also in Bolivia in 2014 CD was third song (after YCBM and You’re Crazy) and still had the full intro so you’re wrong with this argument dude

• Thanks 1