Top 10 Black Sabbath songs (all eras)

Towelie

VERY hard list for me to make, as Ozzy-era Sabbath is, alongside Rush, my favourite band of all time. But let’s try:

1- Into the Void

2- War Pigs

3- Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

4- Megalomania

5- Wheels of Confusion

6- Hole In The Sky

7- Under The Sun

8- Spiral Architect

9- Hand of Doom

10- N.I.B

IMO, there has never been, and there will never be, another perfect run of 6 albums like their first 6. They’re all perfect. It’s what they say: You can only trust yourself and the first six Black Sabbath albums.

28 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

VERY hard list for me to make, as Ozzy-era Sabbath is, alongside Rush, my favourite band of all time. But let’s try:

1- Into the Void

2- War Pigs

3- Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

4- Megalomania

5- Wheels of Confusion

6- Hole In The Sky

7- Under The Sun

8- Spiral Architect

9- Hand of Doom

10- N.I.B

IMO, there has never been, and there will never be, another perfect run of 6 albums like their first 6. They’re all perfect. It’s what they say: You can only trust yourself and the first six Black Sabbath albums.

No post-Ozzy songs make your list?

I can't say this is definitive, but I generally worship at the altar of Sabotage. Ozzy era is king.

1. The Writ
  2. Children of the Grave
  3. War Pigs
  4. Megalomania
  5. Under the Sun
  6. Hole in the Sky
  7. The Thrill of It All
  8. You Won't Change Me
  9. N.I.B.
  10. Symptom of the Universe

Edited by drbunnig
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, drbunnig said:

I can't say this is definitive, but I generally worship at the altar of Sabotage. Ozzy era is king.

1. The Writ
  2. Children of the Grave
  3. War Pigs
  4. Megalomania
  5. Under the Sun
  6. Hole in the Sky
  7. The Thrill of It All
  8. You Won't Change Me
  9. N.I.B.

I’d say Sabotage is probably my favourite out of the 6 first Sabbath albums, but I’m not 100% sure.

EDIT: That would probably make it my favourite album of all time :lol:

Edited by Cosmo

3 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Don't like classic Sabbath, though I love solo Ozzy.

1.Master Of Insanity

2.Headless Cross

3.Disturbing The Priest

4.Ear In The Wall

5.Computer God

6.The Shining

7.Cross Of Thorns

8.Trashed

9.After All The Dead

10.Kill In The Spirit World

Did you really just say that?

8 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Don't like classic Sabbath, though I love solo Ozzy.

1.Master Of Insanity

2.Headless Cross

3.Disturbing The Priest

4.Ear In The Wall

5.Computer God

6.The Shining

7.Cross Of Thorns

8.Trashed

9.After All The Dead

10.Kill In The Spirit World

Unsure about your first statement..... However, given you have Trashed in your list, AND I LOVE Trashed... I'll check out the rest of your list as I'm unfamiliar with alot of post ozzy sabbath. 

12 hours ago, drbunnig said:

1. The Writ
  2. Children of the Grave
  3. War Pigs
  4. Megalomania
  5. Under the Sun
  6. Hole in the Sky
  7. The Thrill of It All
  8. You Won't Change Me
  9. N.I.B.

Great list, no BS list is complete without Children Of The Grave in it. 

5 hours ago, Towelie said:

Did you really just say that?

I wouldn't go that far personally, but for me the Ozzy era is firmly my third favorite, behind Dio, and Tony Martin v1. The heavier stuff resonates with me a lot more along with the more operatic vocals, and I think some of Tony's most inspired guitar work comes from those albums. That's not to say I don't like the Ozzy era, but for me only a spattering of songs after Master Of Reality really hooks me. 

Anyways, my list:
1. Falling Off The Edge Of The World
2. Sign Of The Southern Cross
3. Under The Sun
4. Headless Cross
5. War Pigs
6. Heaven And Hell
7. Computer God
8. Symptom Of The Universe
9. When Death Calls
10. The Shining 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not gonna lie, I'm a VERY casual Black Sabbath fan. Don't know that many of their songs and couldn't name a single non-Ozzy Black Sabbath song from the top of my head. But I like top 10 lists, so I'll make my own anyway.

1. Children of the Grave

2. Supernaut

3. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

4. Iron Man

5. War Pigs

6. Paranoid

7. God is Dead

8. Sweet Leaf

9. Hole in the Sky

And yes, I plan to explore Black Sabbath's discography more thoroughly when I have the time.

2 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

Not gonna lie, I'm a VERY casual Black Sabbath fan. Don't know that many of their songs and couldn't name a single non-Ozzy Black Sabbath song from the top of my head. But I like top 10 lists, so I'll make my own anyway.

1. Children of the Grave

2. Supernaut

3. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

4. Iron Man

5. War Pigs

6. Paranoid

7. God is Dead

8. Sweet Leaf

9. Hole in the Sky

And yes, I plan to explore Black Sabbath's discography more thoroughly when I have the time.

It is a worthwhile experience. Personally I prefer 80s Sabbath to 70s but the Ozzy era is legendary!

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2023 at 2:52 AM, jimisbatman said:

I've been getting into post ozzy BS alot recently and think Born Again is my fav BS album, I know that's sacrilege to say. 

But want to know what people's thoughts are on best BS album post the Eternal Idol? 

It really isn't - amongst the Sabbath fans that are open to all eras of the band, Born Again is a popular choice. The thing that brings it down for a lot of people is the production, most agree the music is great.

As for post-Eternal Idol, it's gotta be Headless Cross for me. Some of Tony's heaviest, most evil riffs, great vocals from Tony Martin, lyrics lean heavy into the occult, plus a fun guest spot from Brian May. Even taking the post-Eternal Idol criteria out of consideration, Headless Cross is one of my favorite Sabbath albums full stop. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

It really isn't - amongst the Sabbath fans that are open to all eras of the band, Born Again is a popular choice. The thing that brings it down for a lot of people is the production, most agree the music is great.

As for post-Eternal Idol, it's gotta be Headless Cross for me. Some of Tony's heaviest, most evil riffs, great vocals from Tony Martin, lyrics lean heavy into the occult, plus a fun guest spot from Brian May. Even taking the post-Eternal Idol criteria out of consideration, Headless Cross is one of my favorite Sabbath albums full stop. 

That's good to know, I read alot of fans on YouTube chastise the album with little explanation. And the production is very very poor. Really looking forward to remix/re-release now that iommi has the masters. 

I'll check out the Headless Cross album after Eternal Idol, which is definitely growing on me. Thanks.