How is the HS mix bad?

HS is loud, I’ll give you that, but to me it’s pretty balanced so I can just turn it down

I get they’re pretty modern sounding production- wise (funny for such old songs) and have a good amount of compression, but I think they sound pretty good. I crank HS and everything’s clear for me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It's way too loud. The slide solo is the only part that has some room to breathe but even then, it's still trying to put everything at the top of the mix. The low end isn't as bad as AJFA like downzy said but these are still the worst sounding songs in the GNR catalogue.

Perhaps doesn't sound great, but it's the best so far. Perhaps > Absurd > Hard Skool. Add these songs to a playlist with some other recent releases and they really stick out IMO. The vocal effects are annoying, the drums sound soulless, the guitars are too thin to be as loud as the are, and they sound just as muddy as the worst parts of CD, if not worse.

Just look how brick-walled HS is...

image.png.efeef8c26fcea6e52ff9e57e6567cdd9.png

This. The lack of dynamics makes the song abrasive. 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

For me personally, Hard Skool's EQ as a whole is very thin sounding, almost like everything was coming out of studio moniter speakers placed in a tin can.  And the vocals are way to wet with the reverb to my liking.  Mix that with the compression and re-sampled drum hits that make it sound very sterile, I think Perhaps and Absurd sound way better

• Like 2

It’s just not a cohesive mix - the drums feel stilted and I doubt they’re programmed, they’re probably played it triggering with very boring samples. It doesn’t sound like a kit, it sounds like an annoying kick/snare, and cymbals overdubbed in and really low in the mix. No vibe. Compression makes everything sound same velocity too. 

the guitars are fine, not a tremendous amount of character, but they’ve got some width to them.. duffs bass is automated wayyyy down after the intro. 

Axl’s vocals do not sit very well at all. Perhaps does a lot better job at recontextualising the old vocal track into a new instrumental. Hard Skool, they sound dragged and dropped, tinny and distant. Just A/B’d with Perhaps and it’s remarkable how much better the Perhaps mix is. 

to sum up, HS suffers from shit sounding drums (the drum pattern/production sucks too) and poorly integrated vocals. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GNR4Ever2024 said:

might want to turn your bass up my friend exact opposite for when I listen in my car

I listened to HS and Perhaps on my friend’s $50k recording studio sound system.

After hearing Perhaps, I asked him if he had the bass turned down or off.  He then played a Queens of the Stone Age song and then Welcome to the Jungle and it was night and day.  Those songs you could feel the bass, the low end was present.  You can hear the bass in both Perhaps and HS, but there is no heft to them like how most songs are mixed these days.  

Speaking of mixing, take, for example, Illusion I: does anyone with knowledge of, well, mixing lol, know if... imagine you're standing in front of the mixing board.  Now, take, let's say, Right Next Door to Hell, Dead Horse, Don't Damn Me and Bad Obsession.  To my ear, those four songs sound "cohesive."  Does there exist a chance, however, that the levels for the drums may be a bit louder on one (or two?  or three?) tracks than the others?; or perhaps, Slash may be higher in the mix at times and lower in others?  What I'm trying to learn is, in order for an album like Illusion I to sound like the songs all indeed belong on the same album, is there merely some sort of a "template" that was used to ensure this?; and like, so therefore the levels on most of the songs were identical to each other? 

13 minutes ago, there is no dana only zool said:

Speaking of mixing, take, for example, Illusion I: does anyone with knowledge of, well, mixing lol, know if... imagine you're standing in front of the mixing board.  Now, take, let's say, Right Next Door to Hell, Dead Horse, Don't Damn Me and Bad Obsession.  To my ear, those four songs sound "cohesive."  Does there exist a chance, however, that the levels for the drums may be a bit louder on one (or two?  or three?) tracks than the others?; or perhaps, Slash may be higher in the mix at times and lower in others?  What I'm trying to learn is, in order for an album like Illusion I to sound like the songs all indeed belong on the same album, is there merely some sort of a "template" that was used to ensure this?; and like, so therefore the levels on most of the songs were identical to each other? 

Yes, a producer and engineer will generally track drums for an album in one stint, meaning the gain structure, the mics and the preamps used will be the same across the album. Any compression/EQ printed/committed to tape will also be included. This is the majority of the drum sound, and as this is done in one go, this is why the overall sound and tone of the drums generally isnt going to change that much from song to song. 

however, after that initial set of tracks is printed, it’s pretty much entirely at the discretion of the mixer, so volume, compression, delays/verbs, effects and panning can change from track to track depending on what is needed. For example, right next door to hell is pretty simple - it’s two guitars, bass, drums and a lead vocal. It’s plenty of tracks to deal with as I’m sure they had plenty of mics on the kit, but generally a pretty sparse arrangement. The drums can breathe, they have plenty of room to be very present and front and centre, so it’s likely Bill Price cranked them louder than he would on a dense mix like say, Bad Obsession, that features keys, harmonica and more instrumentation.

the drum sound comes from the initial tracking/production, but mixing is a free for all and rarely will tracks on an album have the exact same template as every song will have different requirements. 

Edited by Billy Cundy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Billy Cundy said:

Yes, a producer and engineer will generally track drums for an album in one stint, meaning the gain structure, the mics and the preamps used will be the same across the album. Any compression/EQ printed/committed to tape will also be included. This is the majority of the drum sound, and as this is done in one go, this is why the overall sound and tone of the drums generally isnt going to change that much from song to song. 

however, after that initial set of tracks is printed, it’s pretty much entirely at the discretion of the mixer, so volume, compression, delays/verbs, effects and panning can change from track to track depending on what is needed. For example, right next door to hell is pretty simple - it’s two guitars, bass, drums and a lead vocal. It’s plenty of tracks to deal with as I’m sure they had plenty of mics on the kit, but generally a pretty sparse arrangement. The drums can breathe, they have plenty of room to be very present and front and centre, so it’s likely Bill Price cranked them louder than he would on a dense mix like say, Bad Obsession, that features keys, harmonica and more instrumentation.

the drum sound comes from the initial tracking/production, but mixing is a free for all and rarely will tracks on an album have the exact same template as every song will have different requirements. 

Ok.  This is extraordinarily helpful and I am genuinely thankful for your response, mate :)

edit: in case you were wondering what, specifically stuck out the most: "...rarely will tracks on an album have the exact same template as every song will have different requirements."

Edited by there is no dana only zool
  • Like 1

Yeah, I don't get it. It sounds great to me. It's modern, of its time.

If I had an issue, it'd be that we can't really hear the backing vocals. But other than that, it's a rock song – it gives me a fun three-and-a-bit minutes escape from the real world, time I don't need to spend analysing every note

• Like 2

2 hours ago, there is no dana only zool said:

Ok.  This is extraordinarily helpful and I am genuinely thankful for your response, mate :)

edit: in case you were wondering what, specifically stuck out the most: "...rarely will tracks on an album have the exact same template as every song will have different requirements."

No probs. 👍 

Thanks for the responses, everyone! I totally get that hearing everything does not equal balance, but I’d take the mix for HS over some other “modern” releases like A Different Kind of Truth, Death Magnetic (the other two have been better). Those are what I think of when I think of brick walled

Then again, I am apparently in the minority and think Chinese’s 2008 final version is a great sounding album

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

Yeah, I don't get it. It sounds great to me. It's modern, of its time.

If I had an issue, it'd be that we can't really hear the backing vocals. But other than that, it's a rock song – it gives me a fun three-and-a-bit minutes escape from the real world, time I don't need to spend analysing every note

It's not modern at all. It's fucking shit. Mammoth WVH .. That's modern and sounds amazing.

• Haha 1