Chinese era is finally ending?

11 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

Playing in front of people is a big facet of popular music. He’s scared to show his face and looks like a circus freak on stage. Axl was pissing on GNRs legacy with him on stage like a sideshow. Luckily it imploded quite quickly. That’s the truth. If you want to support Bucket go buy shit at his garage sale and quit pretending like he has a place in the legacy of GNR. Weirdo was outshined by Robin Finck when it comes down to it for CD contributions. 

The funny part about your comment - if you read Slash's book - is that Slash is quite shy on stage too. He hides his face behind his hair and sunglasses.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/shy-slash-won-t-look-at-crowd

The thing is, for someone to become as good as a guitar player as Slash (or Bucket), you have to spend an enormous amount of time playing guitar. And that's not necessarily a social event, especially when you're practicing something.

Edited by Lethalis
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Cosmo said:

And? Do you like Slash because he's popular or because he's a good guitar player? Do you prefer Slash or John Mayer? Cause only one of these guitar players sells out stadiums nowadays

You mean John Mayer? I saw/see him with Dead and Company every summer Covid withstanding in sold out stadiums. And sold out arenas too, with Dead and Co m, his solo band, AND as a trio. 

• Like 1

I think trying to claim Bucket isn't a phenomenal guitar player is pretty ridiculous really. In terms of full mastery of the instrument re musicians that are still around there's him, Steve Vai and that's about it really. Now obviously technical ability and complexity isn't everything, Jack White's one of my all time favourite guitarists (and the only guy, other than Slash to really nail that Jimmy Page vibe whilst making it his own in my opinion) and one of my favourite guitar solos is in Disorder by Joy Division which is incredibly simple. 

Trying to compare Bucket to Slash is very much apples to oranges though. Both are very different players with different styles. Undoubtedly Bucket's the best guitar player GN'R ever had technical chops wise but obviously Slash is the GN'R guitarist in people's minds and played and co-wrote all the iconic songs. Slash's sloppiness is part of his style. Listen to Zeppelin bootlegs and Page wasn't note perfect all the time and that's what happens when you improvise. Equally Hendrix had better nights than others when you listen to the live stuff. 

As for John Mayer, I can see he's super talented but really not to my tastes as I feel his playing really lacks grit. I think Robert Cray does the whole clean blues solo thing better in my view but I get it's all a personal taste thing. 

Regarding the mask/costume thing - Slipknot, Ghost, Sleep Token are all bands which wear masks and they're super successful. Lots of musicians have an outfit/stage persona. Heck, look at KISS and Alice Cooper who really started that whole thing. 

Edited by Seb91
  • Like 3

On 9/7/2023 at 6:27 PM, Its Tino said:

I’m already worried a CD boxset would be underwhelming. I want too much out of it: 

CD 99

CD 01

CD 04

CD 06

CD Remixes 

CDII

Various pro-shots from each CD era

CD with commentary 

And last but not least, and not to be a total asshole, but I’d love to hear the official CD release without all of the Pitman sub-bass, clicks, beeps and other various noises. 

Unrelated to a box set: imagine a 6-8 episode limited series of the CD years??

That would be wonderful. I’d lump CD1 and CD2+ under those years though. As many of these songs were worked on and mixes finished throughout those periods. 

27 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

Yes, him

John Mayer is like the opposite of Joe Bonamassa for me.

Bonamassa plays like a God, but looks like the crazy neighbour from down the street... John Mayer has a very different style of playing, but is a joy to watch... because he really enjoys playing. The faces he makes :lol:

28 minutes ago, Lethalis said:

John Mayer is like the opposite of Joe Bonamassa for me.

Bonamassa plays like a God, but looks like the crazy neighbour from down the street... John Mayer has a very different style of playing, but is a joy to watch... because he really enjoys playing. The faces he makes :lol:

There’s always a list of Mayer faces backstage that people take bets on during his shows. The man loves to play!

Thanks to @Cosmo for that delish pic above, a lovely morning indeed 🤩

Joe Bonanasa is impressive in terms of career touring revenue. The man regularly and consistently sells out theaters 1500-3000+ around the world an… I couldn’t name you a single song he’s done. When I first started out, all of my guitar nerd friends freaked out when his shows came around.

there’s a niche for all!

8 hours ago, sl4yer said:

Nirvana’s albums sell very well. Does it mean that Cobain is one of the greatest guitarists ever?

Cobain is another example that perfectly proves my point. 

Is Buckethead technically better on guitar?  Yes of course. 

Should Buckethead be in Nirvana? Would he be the best guitarist for Nirvana? No

Buckethead may well be the most technical guitarist that has ever existed. 

Most people don't enjoy pure technical playing though. 

They like a guitarist that writes good songs, riffs, solos. 

• Like 4

Gotta love the narrow minded bullshit of "I don't like Bucket's music because of the way he looks".

Ed Sheeran sells a few albums apparently, doesn't mean he's any good to my ear. It's all about tastes. But to be disparaging about Bucket's ability because of his commercial success and appearance is fucking laughable. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

Cobain is another example that perfectly proves my point. 

Is Buckethead technically better on guitar?  Yes of course. 

Should Buckethead be in Nirvana? Would he be the best guitarist for Nirvana? No

Buckethead may well be the most technical guitarist that has ever existed. 

Most people don't enjoy pure technical playing though. 

They like a guitarist that writes good songs, riffs, solos. 

Bucket is capable of coming up with killer riffs, solos, and complete instrumentals in many genres, but if his style of playing is not your thing, then even if his playing is full of emotion, it's possible all you'll hear when listening to Bucket is just pure technical ability, but it's not like he always shreds.

13 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Bucket is capable of coming up with killer riffs, solos, and complete instrumentals in many genres, but if his style of playing is not your thing, then even if his playing is full of emotion, it's possible all you'll hear when listening to Bucket is just pure technical ability, but it's not like he always shreds.

His music is just not popular. That includes what he released with Guns N roses. 

So for a poster to say he's the greatest guitarist that Guns ever had is absolutely laughable. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

His music is just not popular. That includes what he released with Guns N roses. 

So for a poster to say he's the greatest guitarist that Guns ever had is absolutely laughable. 

are we discussing Bucket's ability as a musician and guitar player or how popular he is? does he need to be at least as popular as Slash for posters to prefer him in Gn'R? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rovim said:

are we discussing Bucket's ability as a musician and guitar player or how popular he is? does he need to be at least as popular as Slash for posters to prefer him in Gn'R? 

People can prefer him if they want. Bit strange when slash wrote all the iconic songs but everyone is entitled to an opinion. 

What I take issue with is people saying he is the best guitarist Guns ever had.

8 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

People can prefer him if they want. Bit strange when slash wrote all the iconic songs but everyone is entitled to an opinion. 

What I take issue with is people saying he is the best guitarist Guns ever had.

so everyone is entitled except the people who are of the opinion that Bucket is the best guitar player Gn'R ever had cause that's too extreme for you to accept? somewhat odd.

8 minutes ago, Rovim said:

so everyone is entitled except the people who are of the opinion that Bucket is the best guitar player Gn'R ever had cause that's too extreme for you to accept? somewhat odd.

People are entitled to an opinion if they clarify its their own opinion. 

Buckethead can be your favourite Guns guitarist.

Even DJ Ashba for some. 

6 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

Even DJ Ashba for some. 

I think that when you say that some musician is the best in any context, it's always just your opinion. 

Just now, jacdaniel said:

Well, if you say slash is the best, all the numbers back it up. 

so if I'm not mistaken, what you are really saying is that people are entitled to have the wrong opinion that Bucket was the best in Gn'R when, in fact, it's clear as day that Slash is the best in Gn'R cause that's your opinion and most fans agree with you.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rovim said:

so if I'm not mistaken, what you are really saying is that people are entitled to have the wrong opinion that Bucket was the best in Gn'R when, in fact, it's clear as day that Slash is the best in Gn'R cause that's your opinion and most fans agree with you.

Exactly. And all the numbers back it up. 

On 9/9/2023 at 12:21 AM, bumcheecksmcghee said:

Lol you lost me at the nightrain solo is horrible part...

It's a great solo for the wrong song and that's the point. People complaining about Slash noodling and playing to fast but probably the same people trying to sell that Nightrain solo as something special. I'm sorry, but to me those people don't get what GNR and their music is about. Nightrain is a groovy hard rock song, bluesy... a song with balls and a lot of feel. Bucket's solo is a wankfest but doesn't capture the soul of this song. Never did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacdaniel said:

Even DJ Ashba for some. 

My first opinion is that Buckethead is fucking awesome.
My next opinion is that Slash used to be - and may still be - fucking awesome.
My final opinion is that nobody cares about my opinions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1