Chinese era is finally ending?

On 9/10/2023 at 1:00 AM, Gordon Comstock said:

Slash fanboys are weird when it comes to Bucket... but I guess these are also the people who think CD songs suck, but Perhaps and HS 'sounded like GNR' once Slash was pasted in. :lol: 

Do people here really not think Slash comes across as a gimmick and caricature? He wears a costume every time he's on stage, like Bucket. He has occasional moments of brilliance but play like he's on autopilot most of the time. BuT hE's IcOnIc AnD fAmOuS. No denying Slash is a legend, but it sure as shit isn't because of how he plays these days...

Fact is, Bucket is by far the best guitar player the band has ever had, and one of the best guitar players in the world. A true artist and master of his craft. KOHD, Nightrain, Madagascar, etc haven't sounded as good since he left, even with Slash playing them. It's sad to see he's been having health and money issues in recent years, he deserves so much better, but I agree with those who said he's his own worst enemy.

Oh of course he is and he ever was a caricature. On the same level as Axl was one with his clothing, his stage present and his behavior off stage.

I wish Slash wouldn't wear his top hat permanently but Bucket's still on another level though, with a bucket over his head and the storys about him and the chicken coop.

I think a lot of CD songs suck but (for the record) not every CD song.

And not to be able to hear the GNR sound in the released version of HS tells more about you than about these "Slash fanboys" you mentioned... the guitar track is unmistakable the GNR sound and that's not even a attribute of quality. It simply is what it is.

Fact is, Bucket is by far the best technical guitar player the band has ever had, and one of the best guitar players in the world. But your preferences for Nightrain and KOHD are just your preferences and nowhere near a fact.

• Like 1

After GN'R drips out a few more singles, they will probably then say they are working on an entirely "new" album with "new" material.  When that album materializes, I guarantee it will contain songs like Berlin, Cuban Skies, Seven, Soul Monster, etc. passed off as new, because those ones have not leaked with vocals) and they probably figure most folks won't know or care that they are not actually new. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, invisible_rose said:

Do you understand what an opinion is?

Yes. Everyone is entitled to one. 

People are allowed to believe a guitarist who didn't complete 1 full tour and played on the least successful album is the best. 

One of my friends thinks Fernando Torres was better than Messi. 

• Like 1

My personal opinion is that the 6 or so tracks Slash and Duff recorded on were ones handpicked by Axl that he felt could be legitimately elevated by their sound(s).

The way he seemingly lives outside of time I’m sure we’ll see several more unheard tracks from that era probably on a CD 20th anniversary collection down the line. So no, I don’t think he’s simply washing his hands of it with the next couple singles.

Edited by Nick85
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

After GN'R drips out a few more singles, they will probably then say they are working on an entirely "new" album with "new" material.  When that album materializes, I guarantee it will contain songs like Berlin, Cuban Skies, Seven, Soul Monster, etc. passed off as new, because those ones have not leaked with vocals) and they probably figure most folks won't know or care that they are not actually new. 

I hope not but you could be right. But since the guitar and bass parts are new arranged and and lyrics and vocal melodies will be new to us it will probably be a completely new music to us. 

• Like 1

Fact is, Chinese Democracy is NOT Gun'N'Roses.. it's represents Axl Rose during one of his most indulgent moments during his time creating music. Now that Slash and Duff are back, maybe now Axl can get back to being in Guns'N'Roses :)

I really like the track 'This I Love'.. the Robin Finck guitar solo = Amazing!

..the track possibly amounts to Axl's no.1 self indulgent moments on Chinese Democracy

Edited by star
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

I reckon you could settle the Slash v Buckethead debate by looking at Lars Ulrich (bear with me)...

It's pretty apparent that Lars isn't one of the best drummers ever, yet if you put anyone else in Metallica, it wouldn't sound right. He doesn't need to be the most technical, he needs to be the best fit.

Technically speaking, Buckethead might be a better guitar player than Slash, but Slash is the better fit for Guns N' Roses.

Who is better is, of course, subjective anyway, but in cases like this it isn't important. Being better doesn't mean that person isn't more suitable. You see it in Football too – you can sign the best player in the world, but if he doesn't fit with the 10 other guys, his individual ability is useless.

Buckethead's great, but he's always been a square peg in a round hole imo. I've never found him to be a good fit, regardless of his playing ability.

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

so if I'm not mistaken, what you are really saying is that people are entitled to have the wrong opinion that Bucket was the best in Gn'R when, in fact, it's clear as day that Slash is the best in Gn'R cause that's your opinion and most fans agree with you.

how can you have the opinion that Bucket is the best ( in GNR), when  his tenure in the band was  unsuccessful ( cancelled  tour, rejected album, etc etc)  , didn't  Axl called him in his letter someone joining just for his personal benefit?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Estrangedfx said:

This is obviously a fake.... Right?

It was posted 4 days ago. Sounds like Axl, I guess? Hard to tell. 

A bunch of guitar noodling and a weak voice with unintelligible lyrics may not be far from what a new GNR song will sound like :lol:  

Edited by -W.A.R-
  • Like 1
  • PERHAPS 1

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Then you're obviously not following Slash's solo carrer because that statement is ridiculous. 

Looked it up and I was a little off. Looking at the last several dates for the River Is Rising tour the average venue capacity was 2000-2500, some venues around 3000. Buckets last tour average venues were 1000-1500, some around 3000. I don't think saying they play 'similar' venues is ridiculous, but ok.

• GNFNR 1

4 was a damn failure any way you slice it. It's lead single still has only reached 4 million streams on Spotify over 1 year after release, even compared to a mediocre song like Driving Rain that's laughable. It is why I think Slash decided to do something else and do another solo album next year.

• Haha 1

I can’t believe that some of you think that Buckethead is the best  GNR guitarist. Buckethead might be a great technical guitarist. However, he’s no Slash. Slash just fits with Axl. There’s no ifs and buts about it. We saw which incarnation of GNR is most successful and true to form. That incarnation has Slash in GNR. The AFD 5, Gilby Clarke, Matt Sorum, Dizzy,  Fortus, Frank, and Melissa are the epitome of coolness and relatability. Buckethead isn’t that. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Looked it up and I was a little off. Looking at the last several dates for the River Is Rising tour the average venue capacity was 2000-2500, some venues around 3000. Buckets last tour average venues were 1000-1500, some around 3000. I don't think saying they play 'similar' venues is ridiculous, but ok.

Slash plays smaller venues because he wants to. I can't remember where, but there's an interview where he said as much. I can't find that interview, but here's a couple that hint at the same thing:

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/slash-stadium-shows/

https://www.laweekly.com/slash-is-still-living-the-dream/

Before he returned to Guns N' Roses, he was playing arenas – the World On Fire European Tour was an Arena tour.

Every venue on SMKC's last UK tour sold out and tickets weren't easy to get – he could’ve easily done the arenas again but didn't.

Since he gets his arena and stadium fill with his 'day job', why not play smaller ones for fun?

Edited by DoMw94
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

Slash plays smaller venues because he wants to. I can't remember where, but there's an interview where he said as much. I can't find that interview, but here's a couple that hint at the same thing:

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/slash-stadium-shows/

https://www.laweekly.com/slash-is-still-living-the-dream/

Before he returned to Guns N' Roses, he was playing arenas – the World On Fire European Tour was an Arena tour.

Since he gets his arena and stadium fill with his 'day job', why not play smaller ones for fun?

He played arenas on the European Living The Dream tour, too.

He generally plays in larger venues in Europe (although sometimes in smaller ones, too) than in the US.

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

He played arenas on the European Living The Dream tour, too.

He generally plays in larger venues in Europe (although sometimes in smaller ones, too) than in the US.

Glad he didn't over here! That Manchester Apollo gig was special, and getting this close in Doncaster a few nights later was amazing 👇

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuGwBkoFIEp/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

SMKC has played lots of arenas outside the US and considering their position on European festivals they are a far bigger draw than BH could ever be. 

Like I said before, that's not even an attribute of quality. We all know his a freak on guitar, his skilks are amazing and he showed on CD what he's capable of (assuming it was him coming up with those solos and they were not pasted together out of severel minutes sensless noodling like he often does on his solo records) but that statement was far off and I think you can't imagine him yourself play the same venues and draw the same amount of people, not only in the US but everywhere in the world. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, felixGNR said:

how can you have the opinion that Bucket is the best ( in GNR), when  his tenure in the band was  unsuccessful ( cancelled  tour, rejected album, etc etc)  , didn't  Axl called him in his letter someone joining just for his personal benefit?

Axl took what he said in that letter back. I think he didn't get to the bottom of it before blaming it on Bucket. To answer your question: it's possible cause what determines a person's favorite guitar player is not how successful they are or at least it's not supoosed to.

there is no "best" and what Bucket did in Gn'R was enough for some people to favor him over Slash based on the music. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 9/11/2023 at 6:08 PM, DoMw94 said:

I reckon you could settle the Slash v Buckethead debate by looking at Lars Ulrich (bear with me)...

It's pretty apparent that Lars isn't one of the best drummers ever, yet if you put anyone else in Metallica, it wouldn't sound right. He doesn't need to be the most technical, he needs to be the best fit.

Technically speaking, Buckethead might be a better guitar player than Slash, but Slash is the better fit for Guns N' Roses.

Who is better is, of course, subjective anyway, but in cases like this it isn't important. Being better doesn't mean that person isn't more suitable. You see it in Football too – you can sign the best player in the world, but if he doesn't fit with the 10 other guys, his individual ability is useless.

Buckethead's great, but he's always been a square peg in a round hole imo. I've never found him to be a good fit, regardless of his playing ability.

I’m not going to disagree with anything you’re saying about Lars. 

But when Lars comes up, I always like to mention (not so much to you, just generally) that he’s the genius behind Met. I credit him with most of Met’s success. A lot of people don’t know that he arranged their entire catalog, I think besides NEM. I always wished Lars could have managed GNR lol. He has (besides for the Napster fiasco) an incredible music business acumen. If you put a “better” drummer in Metallica, I believe their catalog would be much weaker. 

End Rant. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1