Chinese era is finally ending?

2 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

Excuse me?

Did you really just say that Buckethead is the BEST guitarist the band has ever had?  WOW!! 

Now, if you mean most technical then fair enough. He's also more technical than Hendrix, Page, Clapton etc

But absolutely NOT the best. 

He's never written an iconic riff or solo in his career and his 7000 albums dont sell very well. 

Never have Izzy's 9 albums but people kiss his ass , bucket was unbelievably good live, the best live player Axl has ever had ...but Slash and Axl have that chemistry together that nobody else has had in the band 

4 hours ago, Draguns said:

I am sorry to hear about Buckethead’s health issues. However, he simply just didn’t fit into GNR. Slash is just cooler. He was, is and always will be part of the GNR image. Ditto with Axl and Duff. I would throw in Izzy and Adler as well if they were still a part of GNR. 

Having a guy  wear a KFC bucket and a Michael Meyers mask just isn’t relatable. Nor someone who had looked like an alien. 

That whole band, aside from maybe Brain and Richard, looked ridiculous. Especially Axl. They made some incredible music though, and that's the bottom line.

3 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

Excuse me?

Did you really just say that Buckethead is the BEST guitarist the band has ever had?  WOW!! 

Now, if you mean most technical then fair enough. He's also more technical than Hendrix, Page, Clapton etc

He's never written an iconic riff or solo in his career and his 7000 albums dont sell very well. 

Yea, if he doesn't get played on classic rock radio, he must suck. How foolish of me for thinking his playing is more important than his popularity.

Technically yes, he can play pretty much anything. But his tone and feel are fantastic - KOHD is a simple solo but he made his guitar sing it beautifully.

As far as classic GNR, nobody fits the AFD songs as well as Slash obviously. But overall, Bucket was the best musician Axl has worked with and it's not even close. His solos on If The World and Sorry fit the classic GNR style but Slash would never come up with solos like TWAT or Madagascar. Even Slash himself admits that Bucket is an amazing player.

22 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Slash fanboys are weird when it comes to Bucket... but I guess these are also the people who think CD songs suck, but Perhaps and HS 'sounded like GNR' once Slash was pasted in. :lol: 

Do people here really not think Slash comes across as a gimmick and caricature? He wears a costume every time he's on stage, like Bucket. He has occasional moments of brilliance but play like he's on autopilot most of the time. BuT hE's IcOnIc AnD fAmOuS. No denying Slash is a legend, but it sure as shit isn't because of how he plays these days...

Fact is, Bucket is by far the best guitar player the band has ever had, and one of the best guitar players in the world. A true artist and master of his craft. KOHD, Nightrain, Madagascar, etc haven't sounded as good since he left, even with Slash playing them. It's sad to see he's been having health and money issues in recent years, he deserves so much better, but I agree with those who said he's his own worst enemy.

Haha. Bullshit. Clown show won’t even show his face. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

You keep repeating that like it has some kind of relevance. What does staying anonymous have to do with his talent?

Playing in front of people is a big facet of popular music. He’s scared to show his face and looks like a circus freak on stage. Axl was pissing on GNRs legacy with him on stage like a sideshow. Luckily it imploded quite quickly. That’s the truth. If you want to support Bucket go buy shit at his garage sale and quit pretending like he has a place in the legacy of GNR. Weirdo was outshined by Robin Finck when it comes down to it for CD contributions. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

That whole band, aside from maybe Brain and Richard, looked ridiculous. Especially Axl. They made some incredible music though, and that's the bottom line.

But overall, Bucket was the best musician Axl has worked with and it's not even close. His solos on If The World and Sorry fit the classic GNR style but Slash would never come up with solos like TWAT or Madagascar. Even Slash himself admits that Bucket is an amazing player.

Shame the record label and general  public  didn't   share the same opinion right?

can you name  an iconic  GNR song with Bucket on guitar?

how can you say that  he is the best musician   that Axl  worked with?  if his contributions were only 1 great song TWAT, ( took years to record tinker etc,etc) , does he even have an iconic  riff, or solos? anything to show outside of his incredible technical  ability?

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

He's a character. You can love or hate the gimmick but it's not relevant to his playing, which was always stellar with GNR. I'm not sure how it's 'pissing on the legacy' to stand next to an amazing guitar player, but whatever. Axl has made far worse decisions than hiring Bucket. Do you not see that Slash is a gimmick at this point? Literally a halloween costume, wig and all, every time he's on stage?

And just to be clear, Slash and Bucket play similar sized venues (theatres) on their solo tours. Slash has complimented Bucket's playing on CD. They've both played with some of the greatest musicians out there. But I guess since Bucket didn't turn himself into a brand like the Guitar Hero, his gimmick is stupid while Slash's gimmick is rawk n fukken roll duuuude. :shrugs:

stop with the gimmick bullshit,  Buckethead is a clown for keeping his  cartoon character persona. off stage.

Slash plays bigger venues than Bucket ( and with way more tour dates etc) the difference is bigger outside the US.

Do i have to remind you Slash and his gimmick is the reason  why GNR  is back at the top ( rock and roll bands,tours)?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, janrichmond said:

Izzy wrote great songs and I think he'll always be missed by the fans that were there during the AFD and Illusions eras. I can't give a fair opinion of Bucket because his style is not for me. 

This comment every day of the week! It’s been so wild for me to hear some of the feedback on this board (and at shows from casuals) - but those who know, know!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, felixGNR said:

Shame the record label and general  public  didn't   share the same opinion right?

how can you say that  he is the best musician   that Axl  worked with?  if his contributions were only 1 great song TWAT, ( took years to record tinker etc,etc) , does he even have an iconic  riff, or solos? anything to show outside of his incredible technical  ability?

stop with the gimmick bullshit,  Buckethead is a clown for keeping his  cartoon character persona. off stage.

Slash plays bigger venues than Bucket ( and with way more tour dates etc) the difference is bigger outside the US.

Do i have to remind you Slash and his gimmick is the reason  why GNR  is back at the top ( rock and roll bands,tours)?

TWAT is a top 10 GNR song IMO. I say Bucket is the best overall musician because I've listened to his projects outside GNR just like I've listened to Slash, Duff, Izzy, Bumblefoot, etc solo albums and collaborations. The emotion in Bucket's playing can be just as good as classic Slash.

I never denied the fact that Slash is more iconic. But he doesn't even like his most iconic riff (SCOM) and I've been clear that popularity isn't the biggest factor here. Bucket doesn't tour outside the US so I would assume there's a bigger difference there lol.

I'm not trying to shit on Slash, the last NITL shows I attended he was the star, no doubt about it. I expect he will be the most consistent/best part of the show when I see them in October. But with nuGNR in the past, it's weird that some people still get so hung up about Bucket. His persona aside, he was by far the best guitar player in the CD era and an Axl/Bucket duo had the potential to be legendary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IzzysMissy said:

This comment every day of the week! It’s been so wild for me to hear some of the feedback on this board (and at shows from casuals) - but those who know, know!

You're an Izzy fan, you're going to say that ...slight bias but each to their own opinion 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, janrichmond said:

But doesn't he stay in that character off-stage too?

In the studio for example, he still wears the bucket/mask (always does when making music) but is less in character (for example, he talks to people, does not require a puppet lol). He's really shy regardless but there is a normal guy in there.

8 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I have no idea why it's so difficult for some people to grasp this.

He's a character. You can love or hate the gimmick but it's not relevant to his playing, which was always stellar with GNR. I'm not sure how it's 'pissing on the legacy' to stand next to an amazing guitar player, but whatever. Axl has made far worse decisions than hiring Bucket. Do you not see that Slash is a gimmick at this point? Literally a halloween costume, wig and all, every time he's on stage?

And just to be clear, Slash and Bucket play similar sized venues (theatres) on their solo tours. Slash has complimented Bucket's playing on CD. They've both played with some of the greatest musicians out there. But I guess since Bucket didn't turn himself into a brand like the Guitar Hero, his gimmick is stupid while Slash's gimmick is rawk n fukken roll duuuude. :shrugs:

Lol! 

Bucket doesn't even tour outside the US. Unlikely he'd have much demand. 

So one again you're wrong there. 

Slash doesn't wear a Halloween costume on stage either. Unless you are referring to that 1 Velvet Revolver gig 20 odd years ago on Halloween... 

When we talk about Slash been iconic, it's not even just for his brilliant work in Guns. 

He also had lots of success with Velvet and his solo career. 

He has also had tonnes of collaborations with other artists. 

And if that wasn't enough, he's pretty much the main face for Gibson and Marshall. Probably made them millions by now. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, felixGNR said:

Shame the record label and general public didn't share the same opinion right?

Yes, probably because his work is not accessible, it's pretty niche

There Was A Time

How can you say that he is the best musician that Axl worked with?  if his contributions were only 1 great song TWAT

Because of his solo career, probably

Does he even have an iconic riff, or solos? Anything to show outside of his incredible technical ability?

Some of my recommendations, amongst his thousands of works:

- Population Override

- Look Up There

- Soothsayer

- Melting Man (Parts 1 and 2)

- Disintegration

- Lebrontron

- Leave The Light On

- The Spirit Winds

- The Coats of Claude

- The Return of Captain E.O.

- Pearson's Square

- Sunbursts

- Griffin's Spike

- Hollowed Out

- Sled Ride

- The Patrolman

Listen to them and tell me he if has nothing to show apart from his technical ability

Stop with the gimmick bullshit,  Buckethead is a clown for keeping his  cartoon character persona. off stage.

What difference does it make for you if he keeps his persona off stage if you only see him on stage?

Slash plays bigger venues than Bucket (and with way more tour dates etc) the difference is bigger outside the US.

And? Do you like Slash because he's popular or because he's a good guitar player? Do you prefer Slash or John Mayer? Cause only one of these guitar players sells out stadiums nowadays

Do i have to remind you Slash and his gimmick is the reason why GNR is back at the top ( rock and roll bands,tours)?

True. His image is iconic and he's obviously associated with GnR's greatest phase for obvious reasons

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

Excuse me?

Nirvana’s albums sell very well. Does it mean that Cobain is one of the greatest guitarists ever?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jamillos said:

You guys have just one more step to reach the enlightenment. 
That step is full realization of the fact that not everything is comparable. Not everything is vertical, capable of being put on some sort of a Top ten chart. We’re brought to this concept since school – who’ll be the first, quickest, who is the best etc., but it’s really a nonsense completely denying human uniqueness; so we compete and rush, and in the practical world it only leads to a rich cunt being able to buy another yacht sooner. 
Slash is not better than Buckethead; Buckethead is not better than Slash. They are completely different guitarists, and just because we think there’s any logic in their comparison, that doesn’t mean there is – even though we are confused because Axl, the culprit, used them both in the same band at different times, even to play the same songs, which makes it look like this comparison makes any sense.
It doesn’t. 
They’re both great.
Each in their own whatever it is they're doing. 

Aloha. 

well they do share some musical similarities and influences. The style of playing is not completely different like we're comparing a rock player with a jazz player for example. Bucket can do a lot of shit that Slash is not interested in but a lot of what Bucket does can fall under the hard rock category with melody as its focus.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rovim said:

well they do share some musical similarities and influences. The style of playing is not completely different like we're comparing a rock player with a jazz player for example. Bucket can do a lot of shit that Slash is not interested in but a lot of what Bucket does can fall under the hard rock category with melody as its focus.

Something does, something doesn’t, but does that really change anything about the principle I’ve described? I don’t think so. 

But then, I’m really just pointing it out. I understand this type of bickering is normal in fan communities, whether it concerns a rock band or a space opera franchise. 

On 9/6/2023 at 8:54 PM, jacdaniel said:

At the last show they played Chinese, Maddie and Twat and Slash did a good job. 

This I love is the only one they played quite frequently that I didn't enjoy. 

I guess people here are agreeing then that it's best to move on from all that stuff.  

If you don't like his solos on those songs, let him write his own stuff. He's proven pretty legendary at that

If you don't like what he plays on the CD songs, it's because he's making up his own solos... the way to improve that is for Slash to try to incorporate a little of the original solos into his ideas. It has taken 7/8 yrs for him to do a good TIL solo, and most would have looked at that song as a walk in the park for Slash. He has definitely wrote some memorable solos but in more recent times it's harder and harder to pick any great part 2015 - present. Moments of greatness, but overall he just needs someone in the studio to push him harder because it sounds like he's on cruise control. Live... is also up and down, but in the last year he has improved especially on songs like TIL.

• Like 1