For the Setlist Complainers

4 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea this post is like a year too late. Most people here have given credit where it's due and are glad they've finally given the sets a decent shakeup...

Fair point.  8 of the unique songs were from the most recent show.  That still means I got 36 different songs in the pre-2023 shows and, as I said, the order definitely changed a bit between all 4 of those shows.

• Like 1

I wouldn't consider myself to be a setlist complainer. I think it's a pretty cool set for those attending the show. 

But it's ok to point out that they don't change much. 

They opened every single show in the last 7 years with Easy and ended with PC. 

The vast majority of songs played in early 2016 are still in the set. 

• Like 2

I don't think any complaints have been made at all recently about the setlists. They've been varied and (most importantly) different from previous legs. 

2022 was a different story though, and complaints were pretty valid- the setlist was tired and weary. The band are much more energised and enthusiastic now things are switching up and who can blame them? Any one would be on auto pilot playing the same songs in the same order night after night. 

• Like 2

This is my list, 43 Songs in 6 concerts:

Chinese Democracy 6
Civil War 6
Double Talkin' Jive 6
Estranged 6
It's So Easy 6
Knockin' On Heaven's Door 6
Live And Let Die 6
Mr. Brownstone 6
Nightrain 6
November Rain 6
Paradise City 6
Rocket Queen 6
Sweet Child O' Mine 6
Welcome To The Jungle 6
Better 5
Patience 5
Slither 5
You Could Be Mine 5
Wichita Lineman 4
Absurd 3
Coma 3
Don't Cry 3
Hard Skool 3
Shadow Of Your Love 3
This I Love 3
Attitude 2
Black Hole Sun 2
I Wanna Be Your Dog 2
Reckless Life 2
The Seeker 2
Anything Goes 1
Bad Obsession 1
Down On The Farm 1
Madagascar 1
My Michelle 1
New Rose 1
Pretty Tied Up 1
Riff Raff 1
T.V. Eye 1
Used To Love Her 1
Walk Over You 1
Whole Lotta Rosie 1
Yesterdays 1
Edited by t-p-d-a
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I feel like people haven’t been complaining about the setlist with PTU, AG, RL, BO, and 2 new songs being played every show 

Oh there was still a couple a few shows in...

But yeah, I can't stand the setlist complainers. For one, most bands do the same thing, and two, they're not playing for the same audience every night. If someone wants to follow every show, that's on them. They're not the target audience

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

I wouldn't consider myself to be a setlist complainer. I think it's a pretty cool set for those attending the show. 

But it's ok to point out that they don't change much. 

They opened every single show in the last 7 years with Easy and ended with PC. 

The vast majority of songs played in early 2016 are still in the set. 

It doesn't matter if they start and end with those two, they'll be played somewhere...so does it really matter?

3 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

Fair point.  8 of the unique songs were from the most recent show.  That still means I got 36 different songs in the pre-2023 shows and, as I said, the order definitely changed a bit between all 4 of those shows.

Looking at the Hollywood setlist, there's 10 songs I haven't seen this lineup play (11 if we count Duff's solo spot), and most of them were added this year. If they play something similar in Vancouver, I'll be happy with that. Especially if they add The General by then.

• Like 1

There also seems to be some randomizing by Axl (maybe with consultation with Slash sometimes).  He seems to do a lot of talking into the private channel between songs (which is separate from his joking with Melissa during songs).  The other night, after Wichita Lineman, Duff was still sitting on the steps to the drum riser for a good 15-20 seconds after Slash and Richard went to switch guitars and then he got up and went to the side of the stage for a different Bass.  It seemed like they might have been planning to do something other than KOHD and then it got nixed (debut of the General? :shrugs:).

Also, after TWAT after some time of Axl walking around by his tissues, he signaled to the side for a new shirt to get his Ukraine shirt for Civil War.  It wasn't until after he started walking over that Slash switched guitars.  Again, it seemed there was some discussion about doing another song before CW.

Edited by Gnrcane

My opinion on this is that It's not too much work to change the order of the songs every night,  they did this during the UYI Tour, I think it's great for the fans to hear for example WTTJ at the encore or Estranged also in the encore or a different opener because Easy has been there since 2016.

Just imagine this setlist and change the order every night so everybody can hear different songs even on the same tour!

1. Nightrain 

2. Bad Obsession 

3. Madagascar/ Chinese Democracy

4. Walk All Over You/ Fall to Pieces

5. Pretty Tied Up

6. Knockin on Heavens Door

7. Rocket Queen 

8. It's So Easy 

9. Reckless Life/ SOYL

10. Absurd 

11. Don't Cry 

12. This I Love/ Prostitute 

13. Live And Let Die 

14. Welcome To The Jungle 

15. Down on Farm 

16. Used To Love Her 

17. Locomotive/There Was A Time

18. Hardskool

19. Civil War 

20. So Fine 

21. Anything Goes 

22. You Could Be Mine 

23. Think About You/ Out Ta Get Me 

24. Slash Solo 

25. Sweet Child O Mine 

26. November Rain 

27. Perhaps 

ENCORE:

26. Estranged 

27. Mr Brownstone/You're Crazy 

28. The General 

29. My Michelle/Nice Boys 

30. Street Of Dreams 

31. Patience

32. Paradise City

3 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

Oh there was still a couple a few shows in...

But yeah, I can't stand the setlist complainers. For one, most bands do the same thing, and two, they're not playing for the same audience every night. If someone wants to follow every show, that's on them. They're not the target audience

I don't think doing the same setlist for the whole tour was the problem- it was that it was (broadly) the same setlist tour after tour. 

It's definitely the major reason I didn't bother seeing them in 2022, and the changes are definitely the reason I did in 2023. 

I still think the setlist sucks, but I've stopped complaining. :lol: For me it's less about what songs they play in what order and more about the ever same arrangements. I hate WTTJ not being the opener. I don't care about Duff's solo spot and would rather hear Dizzy playing some piano instead. I would love to see some alternate arrangements, a heavy song done soft and acoustic, a fast song done slow and vice versa, another song with Axl at the piano other than just November Rain and so on. I give them credit though for making at least some changes.

I've said it before, but Pretty Tied Up or the slow You're Crazy would be my ideal openers. Play ISE after WTTJ like they did in the CD era, or play it after Estranged, NR or KOHD to pick the pace of the show back up. There's about 5-6 songs they could rotate that would all be good openers - Easy, WTTJ, PTU, You're Crazy, SOYL, Nightrain...

I think the setlist complaints were fair, now if you go see gnr you're getting a pretty shook up set from where it was in 2016, so it wouldn't be fair to still be complaining. 

Of course I'd still like to see another song starting the gig, but ISE is their battle cry and PC is their celebration song... I can get over that, and it's fun when you're there in person!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Silence said:

The setlist complaints are silly. In 1992 GNR played almost the exact same setlist at every show. 

I think the setlist complaints were valid prior to them really stepping up their game this leg.  To me there is a difference between the setlist for 1992 being the same, and the setlist being 90% the same for 6 full years give or take.

That said, the inclusion of Perhaps, Bad Obsession, PTU, Anything Goes, Reckless LIfe, on top of the slow tiny additions over the years of SOYL and Slither have helped a lot as of late in terms of giving repeat concergoers some new stuff

• GNFNR 1