THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Where does this Atlas/Monsters rumour come from? I think it's without merit, since The General and Monsters has been registered as one song in databases.

EDIT: I just saw where it comes from:

I don't know who the person on Reddit is, but even if that was the original plan, it seems clear now that they'll be released as one song.

I heard someone said it on discord. Perhaps same person as on Reddit. No idea.

Yes, odd with the merge. I really wonder how they make it into one song. I could see it as two parts, but one song seems odd.

Just now, Lio said:

I heard someone said it on discord. Perhaps same person as on Reddit. No idea.

Yes, odd with the merge. I really wonder how they make it into one song. I could see it as two parts, but one song seems odd.

I saw on Reddit that it's a claim made by a supposed "insider".

I think that's how it works, as a song with pt. 1 and pt. 2.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kitstuai said:

Doesn't make any sense, they released a Hard Skool 33 RPM version with 2 tracks on side B (6:20 min), if they had a 9 minutes song they would have put it on the 33 directly

Things making sense in the land of GnR? That’s a different question altogether haha! I wouldn’t be surprised either way at this point. 

I can definitely see both of these songs being one entity. As people have pointed out, they’ve done it with RQ and Coma. Plus one of Axl’s favorite songs is Funeral For a Friend; that’s essentially two pieces of music sewn together.  

31 minutes ago, veon said:

It’s can be done.  However, the peeps in the know say there’s diminishing sound quality with songs that last longer then 4-5 minutes. 

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/longest-commerically-released-7-inch-45rpm-record.129245/

Hence why they obviously tried, hated the sound quality....hence our delay If Fernando and the official post is to be believed....but what are they hoping for? A breakthrough in 7" tech? Surely they have to switch it up to a 12" to get the quality they desire....

To be honest....it's always been billed as G - Perhaps R - The General...

So we have several important questions....Is The General a 9 minute epic suite...Monster shares Marcos orchestra and some themes...a better segue and I would accept that and be happy to have an epic 9 minute tune...

Or is Monsters it's own beast and was gonna be a surprise "hidden" track (not now 🫤) for us when we got our vinyls....if so, kinda a shame as we would of got a hell of a surprised and a positive (alt.) forum meltdown if that had come to pass...

Is Monsters actually part of the runoured Atlas EP/Single....

Form says they release these songs in Noah's arc twos...bit weird to try and fit 9 minutes on a 7" and if you want to do that (other than costs) why choose that small format? Especially when quality obviously does matter to them, to can a release at the twilight hour that they already have our £$ for...Now it has leaked and they'll all be well aware of ...

What we REALLY need, is an interview/statement from the band/mgmt or someone in the know about all this, to clear up...it would be beneficial for them to do that, stop some of the Diggin on this end for scraps If we got that...but that would be logical and hey, history tells us, that ain't in their dictionary...

Best idea would be to get it up on your platforms (Spotify/YT) for Halloween as a double single/Full Epic (tell us which) and then get that Atlas single or whatever else you have out, so there's still unheard (finished) stuff to surprise...

Kinda gutted, as much as we wished for a leak all these years....I was genuinely sooo looking forward to chasing the postie for my parcelz ripping it open and putting it on my record deck with fever pitch anticipation and having no idea what was gonna blast out my speakers....but as is the case, almost always with music and this band, nothing happens as it quite should. STILL that disappointment will subside ...I'll still get my vinyl soon AND at the end of the day we've got new music + more than we were expecting....so all bets are off, time to hope there's more to come.....(we need to have something else to long for eh....)

Still... One thing confirmed for sure...once and for all. Pele was not well informed after all! End of.

General is not an instrumental 

General is not SOG

General is not Billianire

There's more to come....let's see how this plays out. What are your theories guys on of what plays out in the next 6 weeks?

Edited by colonizedmind

17 minutes ago, uzi your illusion said:

No clue how close or far off this interpretation might be. But I've heard the 9 minute one now a ton of times.

I take the first part [General] to refrence the child abuse that took place early on in his life, with the eerie orchestration in the background acting as the manifestation of those feelings that the abuse could cause.

And Monsters, as the companion piece, sounds like it's about a failed relationship with a woman later on in life that falls apart for whatever reason. But prehaps the abuse suffered early in life still seeps into Axl's day to day, underlined again by the same orchestration during this part of the song, and that the abuse will always play a part poisoning his adult relationships.

That's how I'm reading into it. And if it's close to being accurate, it's exactly what I would have hoped for as a fan who waited on CD and knew it could live up to his artistic heights.

I think indeed monsters is also about the same subject, I think it's his older self reflecting on it, trying to close door behind him. All in all a very very interesting artistic work by axl

Thumbs up for "monsters". Like the "britpoppy" chorus and the "zeppelinesque" use of middle eastern scales in segways.

Is Slash playing on it, though? The outro solo doesn't sound like him, with the "runs" between the longer notes. With the other lead guitar-parts it's hard to tell.

5 minutes ago, Homefuck said:

Thumbs up for "monsters". Like the "britpoppy" chorus and the "zeppelinesque" use of middle eastern scales in segways.

Is Slash playing on it, though? The outro solo doesn't sound like him, with the "runs" between the longer notes. With the other lead guitar-parts it's hard to tell.

The theory around here is that the last part of the solo is not slash, you can hear a clear tone shift and it sounds like fortus is playing. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Homefuck said:

Slash is definitely on it. But as far as the last part, people have pointed out that it's likely Fortus.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Hence why they obviously tried, hated the sound quality....hence our delay If Fernando and the official post is to be believed....but what are they hoping for? A breakthrough in 7" tech? Surely they have to switch it up to a 12" to get the quality they desire....

To be honest....it's always been billed as G - Perhaps R - The General...

So we have several important questions....Is The General a 9 minute epic suite...Monster shares Marcos orchestra and some themes...a better segue and I would accept that and be happy to have an epic 9 minute tune...

Or is Monsters it's own beast and was gonna be a surprise "hidden" track (not now 🫤) for us when we got our vinyls....if so, kinda a shame as we would of got a hell of a surprised and a positive (alt.) forum meltdown if that had come to pass...

Is Monsters actually part of the runoured Atlas EP/Single....

Form says they release these songs in Noah's arc twos...bit weird to try and fit 9 minutes on a 7" and if you want to do that (other than costs) why choose that small format? Especially when quality obviously does matter to them, to can a release at the twilight hour that they already have our £$ for...Now it has leaked and they'll all be well aware of ...

What we REALLY need, is an interview/statement from the band/mgmt or someone in the know about all this, to clear up...it would be beneficial for them to do that, stop some of the Diggin on this end for scraps If we got that...but that would be logical and hey, history tells us, that ain't in their dictionary...

Best idea would be to get it up on your platforms (Spotify/YT) for Halloween as a double single/Full Epic (tell us which) and then get that Atlas single or whatever else you have out, so there's still unheard (finished) stuff to surprise...

Kinda gutted, as much as we wished for a leak all these years....I was genuinely sooo looking forward to chasing the postie for my parcelz ripping it open and putting it on my record deck with fever pitch anticipation and having no idea what was gonna blast out my speakers....but as is the case, almost always with music and this band, nothing happens as it quite should. STILL that disappointment will subside ...I'll still get my vinyl soon AND at the end of the day we've got new music + more than we were expecting....so all bets are off, time to hope there's more to come.....(we need to have something else to long for eh....)

Still... One thing confirmed for sure...once and for all. Pele was not well informed after all! End of.

General is not an instrumental 

General is not SOG

General is not Billianire

There's more to come....let's see how this plays out. What are your theories guys on of what plays out in the next 6 weeks?

26 minutes ago, uzi your illusion said:

No clue how close or far off this interpretation might be. But I've heard the 9 minute one now a ton of times.

I take the first part [General] to refrence the child abuse that took place early on in his life, with the eerie orchestration in the background acting as the manifestation of those feelings that the abuse could cause.

And Monsters, as the companion piece, sounds like it's about a failed relationship with a woman later on in life that falls apart for whatever reason. But prehaps the abuse suffered early in life still seeps into Axl's day to day, underlined again by the same orchestration during this part of the song, and that the abuse will always play a part poisoning his adult relationships.

That's how I'm reading into it. And if it's close to being accurate, it's exactly what I would have hoped for as a fan who waited on CD and knew it could live up to his artistic heights.

I love your write up and theorising...I was thinking similar things as I hyper focused my ears on Axl's words...so there must be something to all our interpretations and feelings we're extracting from our listening experiences...

I'm so anticipation the final mixes and the 💯 sign off from the band on how these tunes are meant to be heard and taken...but the extremely moody vibe and dark chilly atmosphere throughout with Axl sounding desperate and broken but also on the attack and breakout free of the ties that bind are the coolest Guns moments in many a decade for me. 

To me, it was a no brainer why this was coming out Halloween week ...so I hope they can still, in online form. Be a shame to miss the theme tie-in if that was their aim.....

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Slash is definitely on it. But as far as the last part, people have pointed out that it's likely Fortus.

I love how Slash is getting a lot of praise or the ones that love the guitar work but can't bring themselves to admit that Slash was capable still of doing some moody and dark work are like...Can't be him? Surely....I love this, it's soo Chinese esque...it can't be Slash! That's kinda hilarious....just love it for the music, not who's playing it! Slash has done his best work in decades on some of the work, especially Monsters for me...🎸🔥

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mr w,axl rose said:

Monsters has some KoRn - Spike in the Veins vibe 

I’ve been saying since first listen, the way Axl songs reminds me of Johnathan Davis. I showed the song to a friend that loves korn and doesn’t listen to gnr and he agreed. Specially in the verse, there is something in the way the melody goes that is very reminiscent of songs from take a look in the mirror as well. 

5 minutes ago, Unagi said:

Where'd the rumour come from that The General was about Tommy or a tribute or something? I saw that over and over on various forums. 

And then we get this weird ass shit 

The story goes that Brain named it after Generals chicken, but when Axl heard the name he thought it was about Tommy because he was like "The General" at the the time, kind of dictating the band.

Edit: Brian said that Tommy was the 'MD' (musical director), for rehearsals, Axl thought the General was a joke about that.

Edited by Maystar
Clarification
  • Like 1