THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

I'm really moved by those two songs, can't wait to purchase them in some proper form I hope both songs will be presented on the Perhaps vinyl.

Axl is a really special artist, those two are triggering all kinds of emotions it's almost cathartic. I hope all those songs he worked on brought him some form of happiness. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DSTK said:

Agree but omg has already been released & going down has Tommy on vocals..maybe a Duff track that's not a snooze fest would be cool

Love both omg & going down but can't see it happening 

Some of duffs material with loaded kicks ass. I can definitely envision Axl on vocals and there would be some cool rockers 

• Like 1

A few comments:

- a 9 min song will sound dreadful on a 7”. Hopefully they’ve had the common sense to upgrade to a 45rpm 12” single.

- as great as it is to have Slash and Axl back together, this kind of makes me (even more) realise “what could have been”. Why oh why not release this in 2004-2010. The reunion would have come anyway.

- this makes me still want a CD boxset at some point. Empty the vault. Doesn’t need fancy packaging, but I would pay $$$ for it.

- I know I’ll get slaughtered for this, and I love the Slash + Axl combo, but I’d love to hear those screams towards the end of the songs with Bucket shredding underneath. I originally thought it was Bucket but have since reassessed as Slash.

4 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

Some of duffs material with loaded kicks ass. I can definitely envision Axl on vocals and there would be some cool rockers 

Kicks ass ? His solo stuff apart from one album is a tad dull , you never know with Guns now 

3 minutes ago, 3coloursbeige said:

Great to hear new music from the gang.  But all the songs that have emerged sound completely different to each other.  They sound like they have been recorded and produced by different bands.

I tend to agree. Not sure if it is a good thing (variation) or a bad thing (difficult to sync into an album etc). I suppose it’s to be expected as the songs are essentially Frankensteined versions of songs created over a 20+ period with endless writers and 20+ band members through the revolving door. The only real way to avoid this would have been to re-record everything from scratch in one session - the songs would have originated from different places but would have at least been sonically the same. The issue currently is not only are the songs different styles but then the production / mixing / mastering / drum sound etc etc is also completely different which compounds the issue. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gavgnr said:

@Mindray11 how does it compare buddy?

it's interesting how much i missed because all of the people talking in the room back then, you couldn't hear everything that's going on in the songs. i actually thought some songs didn't sound like guns n roses, but it makes so much sense now because the general doesn't sound like a typical gnr song. i remember a lot more parts of it now. this stuff is amazing.

i loved bucketheads solo in monsters, but slash's is amazing too.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, kitstuai said:

Perhaps vinyl is 7" 45 RPM there's no way a 9 minutes song can fit on B side 

It’s can be done.  However, the peeps in the know say there’s diminishing sound quality with songs that last longer then 4-5 minutes. 

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/longest-commerically-released-7-inch-45rpm-record.129245/

1 hour ago, Spoon87 said:

Why they haven't put this out for streaming on every platform available now that the leak is out there is completely beyond me. 

Make it available for everybody in the best quality possible asap! We'll be happy waiting for the vinyl! Just do something!

They probably don’t want to reinforce the message that if they take it slow on the release all it takes is for someone to leak it and the song will be released. 

Just listened to 'em. The General for me def is a grower. I like the thing that you can hear the live orchestral intro in the background as I thought that the instrumental was an intro to the actual song. From the other hand the Monsters...that's a total banger. Insane vocals! For sure one of my favorites from now on, both from the CD album and the locker leaks. 

A friend of mine send me a screenshot from reddit were a guy said that the original concept was to get Perhaps/The General and then Atlas/Monsters. So if we don't get both of them on the Perhaps 7" we know for sure what they'll release with Atlas when or if it's get released and the guy who said that is not a troll.

11 minutes ago, veon said:

It’s can be done.  However, the peeps in the know say there’s diminishing sound quality with songs that last longer then 4-5 minutes. 

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/longest-commerically-released-7-inch-45rpm-record.129245/

Doesn't make any sense, they released a Hard Skool 33 RPM version with 2 tracks on side B (6:20 min), if they had a 9 minutes song they would have put it on the 33 directly

i think the song we will have is around 5 minutes lenght and they thought it would be okay on the 45 RPM but it's not

Edited by kitstuai

15 minutes ago, Lio said:

I heard people theorize that Monsters Will be the R side to the Atlas single.

I love The General, like Monsters too, but so far The General is my favourite.

Where does this Atlas/Monsters rumour come from? I think it's without merit, since The General and Monsters has been registered as one song in databases.

EDIT: I just saw where it comes from:

8 minutes ago, Stiven.DxN.10 said:

A friend of mine send me a screenshot from reddit were a guy said that the original concept was to get Perhaps/The General and then Atlas/Monsters. So if we don't get both of them on the Perhaps 7" we know for sure what they'll release with Atlas when or if it's get released and the guy who said that is not a troll.

I don't know who the person on Reddit is, but even if that was the original plan, it seems clear now that they'll be released as one song. Edit 2: Oh yeah, it's an "insider" who has been source of various rumours that were never turned out to be true.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Haha 1

No clue how close or far off this interpretation might be. But I've heard the 9 minute one now a ton of times.

I take the first part [General] to refrence the child abuse that took place early on in his life, with the eerie orchestration in the background acting as the manifestation of those feelings that the abuse could cause.

And Monsters, as the companion piece, sounds like it's about a failed relationship with a woman later on in life that falls apart for whatever reason. But prehaps the abuse suffered early in life still seeps into Axl's day to day, underlined again by the same orchestration during this part of the song, and that the abuse will always play a part poisoning his adult relationships.

That's how I'm reading into it. And if it's close to being accurate, it's exactly what I would have hoped for as a fan who waited on CD and knew it could live up to his artistic heights.

• Like 4