THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

1 minute ago, Arnuld said:

To describe anyone as a soul monster……man…..that’s some deep hurt…..

Another fire side chat would be amazing. So many unanswered questions 

They capture your heart and eat your soul.

Would definitely love another chat with Dexter. Sorry can't add more reactions today but love all your posts.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Unagi said:

The lyrics to The General have to be one of the most cringeworthy,  awkward things I've ever had the displeasure to listen to. 

Imagine blaring that in your car. 

"Daddy don't
I swear I won't
I'll be good from now on
And I'm awful, sorry"

What the actual fuck. 

so a song about child abuse is meant to have  Paradise city like lyrics. you would be a shit musician then

1 hour ago, Flayer said:

I agree. We should probably stop putting so much faith in these random info bytes we’ve gotten from band members and so on over the years. They’ve got dozens of these unfinished tracks with constantly changing working titles floating around, and they were all built up out of separately recorded bits and pieces. I don’t even think Axl himself could keep all of it straight. 

The idea that My and My Elvis was the same song as Soul Monster (Elvis Prestley and the Monster of Soul) was entirely fan made. No band member ever said anything about this. And it was solely based on both songs having Elvis in the title. 

Just now, evader said:

That epic guitar trill is from a Buckethead song called "Infiltration" (2007 album Cyborg Slunks). Look it up on Youtube if interested. The bits used for my mix start at 2:57.

My first solo on it was a rebuild of Finck's solo using FL studio, which sounded lame. I replaced it with BH notes from the stems. Then a bit later, I (re)stumbled upon "Infiltration" and just knew that was the tone I wanted for that solo.

While you're here, can you 100% confirm it's Slash on the leaks, and that the phone recording had another guitar player? ; )

1 hour ago, metalavenger99 said:

I'm a little disappointed now that apparently Soul Monster was just a part of The General. 

It wasn't originally, though. Beltrami worked on both as separate songs. At some point Axl decided to combine them. Somewhere there is an early instrumental version of the song (Leave Me Alone), and an early version with lyrics (Elvis Prestley and the Monster of Soul). 

1 minute ago, Miden34 said:

maybe we have been listening to the in the wrong order. trying listening to them with monsters first then the general second. it almost sounds better. the wind down at the end of monsters makes it fit perfect

I still think Shackler's Revenge is part of this trilogy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, evader said:

That epic guitar trill is from a Buckethead song called "Infiltration" (2007 album Cyborg Slunks). Look it up on Youtube if interested. The bits used for my mix start at 2:57.

My first solo on it was a rebuild of Finck's solo using FL studio, which sounded lame. I replaced it with BH notes from the stems. Then a bit later, I (re)stumbled upon "Infiltration" and just knew that was the tone I wanted for that solo.

Can you post a bit more what your thoughts were when you first listened to Monsters today? I think it's a travesty it wasn't you who got to start this thread lol:lol:

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

The outto if the General is undoubtedly 100% Slash. That's as safe as it gets. Monsters on the other hand might have Richard at the end, which I'm still not convinced about it.

Unless the titles of my songs are backwards, that is 100% Bucket shredding during the outro on The General. Monsters is 100% Slash though. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, evader said:

Evader

Can you wadger a guess as to how clean or raw you think the vocal tracks on General are? Meaning, in your opinion and with your experience, do you think this is the final product or do the vocals seem weird to you? At least in the chorus of the first part of the song.

3 minutes ago, D.. said:

While you're here, can you 100% confirm it's Slash on the leaks, and that the phone recording had another guitar player? ; )

This is probably a better question for Voodoo or another guitar expert that's highly familiar with each of the lead guitarists' styles. I'm no gambler, though I would bet the solo from the cellphone recording was Finck.

• Like 1

come on there is no way it’s just one song, i don’t care how it’s registered. both songs have a full verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus structure with an intro and outro and with different tones and tempos and nothing that connects the two. i do not think it is meant to be viewed as one 9 minute song at all. i also think the vinyl will only have The General, not Monsters, and that these leaks came from a different source 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, slash23579 said:

come on there is no way it’s just one song, i don’t care how it’s registered. both songs have a full verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus structure with an intro and outro and with different tones and tempos and nothing that connects the two. i do not think it is meant to be viewed as one 9 minute song at all. i also think the vinyl will only have The General, not Monsters, and that these leaks came from a different source 

I've posted about this a bit earlier, I really believe Soul Monster is supposed to be a hidden track, maybe they were registered together as "The General and Monsters" because Soul Monster was never supposed to be released by itself as an official standalone song that exists, or ever receive a digital release, but be a hidden vinyl thing.

• Like 1

I could imagine they recorded these two tracks but decided to cut and paste them together as one song for the vinyl release.

I could live with that decision when they release them eventually in full length digitally or later on a full album when they put every separately released reworked CD track together.

9 minutes ago, TiedHands said:

Unless the titles of my songs are backwards, that is 100% Bucket shredding during the outro on The General. Monsters is 100% Slash though. 

You're 100% wrong about The General.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

You're posting so many "facts" about these stuff and try to convince people with your knowledge, but you aren't even able to tell that's Slash which is obvious. Maybe just relax and wait for the official releases instead of spreading false information. 

He had flip flopped already? Earlier he said these songs are UYI era.

On top of his vinyl and audio expertise, he also builds time machines.

Is there anything this guy can't do? Send him as a peace envoy to the Middle East. He'll have Israel and Gaza holding hands in no time!

46 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

The outto if the General is undoubtedly 100% Slash. That's as safe as it gets. Monsters on the other hand might have Richard at the end, which I'm still not convinced about it.

Slash plays exactly like the outro of Monsters on The Last Fight and Battleground. That’s him

You don’t think it’s Bucket on The General’s solo? I’ll listen again

• Like 2

Just now, Unagi said:

Yes because that's what the world needs right now, a song about child abuse from an 80s rock band, sung by a 6 year old posing as the victim. 

Jesus, do you people even live in the real world. 

I can't wait to see the general public's reaction to this stinker of a song. 

It'll be as popular as Jimmy Saville at a kid's birthday party. 

so Axl cant write on him getting abused by his stepfather as a child

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, slash23579 said:

I agree. The songs don’t go well together either. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, uzi your illusion said:

Evader

Can you wadger a guess as to how clean or raw you think the vocal tracks on General are? Meaning, in your opinion and with your experience, do you think this is the final product or do the vocals seem weird to you? At least in the chorus of the first part of the song.

I'm no musical expert. I just like doing puzzles, so take this for what it's worth.

I think these are probably final vocals. The vocals on Monsters are all great. Many vocals on The General seem to be intentionally distorted (artistic choice). It's probably best to assume they are all final, and be surprised if they end up slightly different.

• Like 1

Just now, evader said:

I'm no musical expert. I just like doing puzzles, so take this for what it's worth.

I think these are probably final vocals. The vocals on Monsters are all great. Many vocals on The General seem to be intentionally distorted (artistic choice). It's probably best to assume they are all final, and be surprised if they end up slightly different.

Agreed. I think the distorted vocals are a choice just like OMG. While that’s not my favorite choice personally these songs date back to the early 2000s and it fits with that time period. 

1 minute ago, ZoSoRose said:

Slash plays exactly like the outro of Monsters on The Last Fight and Battleground. That’s him

You don’t think it’s Bucket on The General’s solo? I’ll listen again

It's not something you notice when you just listen to it, but if you really listen closely you can tell that there's a change of guitar tone at exactly 4:03 in Monsters. Up until that point its 100% all Slash, but during that change part I'm not so sure it's him and not Fortus taking over. Would be strange of him to just switch his tone mid solo like that for no reason.

• Like 2