THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

Just now, ZoSoRose said:

Slash plays exactly like the outro of Monsters on The Last Fight and Battleground. That’s him

You don’t think it’s Bucket on The General’s solo? I’ll listen again

I think it's him on Monsters but I get the doubts there. But I can tell you it's definitely, 100%, without a doubt Slash on the right channel on The General. I heard it on repeat the whole night over headphones and I know it's Slash. Maybe he playes note for note BH stuff and Slashed it up like he did with TWAT but its definitely Slash playing.

3 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I've posted about this a bit earlier, I really believe Soul Monster is supposed to be a hidden track, maybe they were registered together as "The General and Monsters" because Soul Monster was never supposed to be released by itself as an official standalone song that exists, or ever receive a digital release, but be a hidden vinyl thing.

It doesn't seem that this has happened in other cases of hidden tracks though (as far as I have looked into it). They seem to be registered separately.

On the other hand, I don't think it's something like Rocket Queen either, as Monsters is too fully structured as a standalone song to be attached to the General as a coda. Maybe it will be something like a medley or a "concept" vinyl side that consists of two parts/tracks.

4 minutes ago, Unagi said:

Yes because that's what the world needs right now, a song about child abuse from an 80s rock band, sung by a 60 year old posing as the victim. 

Jesus, do you people even live in the real world. 

I can't wait to see the general public's reaction to this stinker of a song. 

It'll be as popular as Jimmy Saville at a kid's birthday party. 

And what does the world need now, expert? B. So go join the “general public,” there are plenty of American idol washouts for you to listen to. 

Insulting this song, it’s actually shameful that you’re here. You need to move on. It’s not “anything goes” or “shotgun blues” and that’s the way it is, and the way it’s gonna be, and those of us who want to see these complex and innovative attempts from Guns, are happy. It’s actually disgraceful that you’re trying to insult this guy after he’s written about that kind of trauma. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Unagi said:

Yes because that's what the world needs right now, a song about child abuse from an 80s rock band, sung by a 60 year old posing as the victim. 

image.gif.80bd537160c11be6bbdfa43e28bab682.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It doesn't seem that this has happened in other cases of hidden tracks though (as far as I have looked into it). They seem to be registered separately.

On the other hand, I don't think it's something like Rocket Queen either, as Monsters is too fully structured as a standalone song to be attached to the General as a coda. Maybe it will be something like a medley or a "concept" vinyl side that consists of two parts/tracks.

Monsters is definitely its own song

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JAxlMorrison said:

And what does the world need now, expert? B. So go join the “general public,” there are plenty of American idol washouts for you to listen to. 

Insulting this song, it’s actually shameful that you’re here. You need to move on. It’s not “anything goes” or “shotgun blues” and that’s the way it is, and the way it’s gonna be, and those of us who want to see these complex and innovative attempts from Guns, are happy. It’s actually disgraceful that you’re trying to insult this guy after he’s written about that kind of trauma. 

I'm out of likes so here's one in text format. Couldn't agree more. This fucking guy 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Unagi said:

No one outside of these forums will ever even hear these songs.. the circle jerk in these threads is wild

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

The outto if the General is undoubtedly 100% Slash. That's as safe as it gets. Monsters on the other hand might have Richard at the end, which I'm still not convinced about it.

The outro solo on Monsters has Slash playing first and then it switches to Richard at the end. The change in tone and playing style is quite noticeable. 

Edited by 22frets
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

It's not something you notice when you just listen to it, but if you really listen closely you can tell that there's a change of guitar tone at exactly 4:03 in Monsters. Up until that point its 100% all Slash, but during that change part I'm not so sure it's him and not Fortus taking over. Would be strange of him to just switch his tone mid solo like that for no reason.

But he did similar in Back and Forth and on Back to the Moment for example. I believe it's him laying down two different layers on the outro. But there's a possibility that's Fortus. There's no possibility it's any other than Slash on the General outro though.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

That’s definitely Slash at the end of Monsters. He plays similar on The Last Fight

Agree on the rest. 

No man, it’s Slash and later, Richard. I’ve been saying this after several listens yesterday, although initially I really thought it was all Slash. From 4:03 there’s a significant change in the tone and in style, and I do *think* it sounds like Richard. He loves to play those huge slides ending with a bend, and his guitar sounds more creamy, compressed and higher gain. 

And it’s 100% Slash on The General. 

19 minutes ago, evader said:

This is probably a better question for Voodoo or another guitar expert that's highly familiar with each of the lead guitarists' styles. I'm no gambler, though I would bet the solo from the cellphone recording was Finck.

Haha thanks bro. I agree, that cellphone recording sounds like Robin. 

9 minutes ago, Unagi said:

What’s wrong with you? Do you really think trauma is something funny and people “playing victim “? You don’t like the song, fine, but don’t be an ass about other stuff. 

3 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

It's not something you notice when you just listen to it, but if you really listen closely you can tell that there's a change of guitar tone at exactly 4:03 in Monsters. Up until that point its 100% all Slash, but during that change part I'm not so sure it's him and not Fortus taking over. Would be strange of him to just switch his tone mid solo like that for no reason.

This is exactly what I’ve been saying. It sounds like Fortus. Kinda like his guitar tone when not using wah in Rocket Queen mid extended solo. 

• Like 2

I had a hard time believing the intro of the general is a final version. And that he’d distort his vocals beyond belief in 2023, I can see that working when he recorded the vocals in the 2000’s but obviously he has to know it sounds dated… I think if he removed those vocal distortions and cleaned up the intro we might get somewhere. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Underhardy said:

No one outside of these forums will ever even hear these songs.. the circle jerk in these threads is wild

Ok. Cool. Thanks for informing everyone your prediction of what an entire world of citizens will or won’t hear. Do you have anything meaningful to contribute? Or are you just here because you have nothing better to do on a Saturday? That’s sad. 

3 minutes ago, Underhardy said:

I get if you personally dislike the tracks but... c'mon we are hardcore GNR fans enjoying two tracks and mostly everyone here are enjoying them and enjoying the excitement of hearing new stuff

I am not sure what is to be gained by coming in only to say "the tracks suck and people are circlejerking over it" over and over for multiple posts lol.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Underhardy said:

Who cares? Not every song has to be a hit or be accepted by the public. It's okay for Axl to make art just because that's what he wants to do. Just because it's not the type of music that general audiences want to hear doesn't mean that the song doesn't have artistic value. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 22frets said:

The outro solo on Monsters has Slash playing first and then it switches to Richard at the end. The change in tone and playing style is quite noticeable. 

I disagree, end is textbook Slash to me :shrugs:

10 minutes ago, 22frets said:

Oh so they both do the solo at the end? I need to listen , again. Certain parts scream Slash to me

35 minutes ago, slash23579 said:

come on there is no way it’s just one song, i don’t care how it’s registered. both songs have a full verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus structure with an intro and outro and with different tones and tempos and nothing that connects the two. i do not think it is meant to be viewed as one 9 minute song at all. i also think the vinyl will only have The General, not Monsters, and that these leaks came from a different source 

one song: no
hidden track on vinyl: yes

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, uzi your illusion said:

You dont think it shares orchestration from The General? I was pretty sure I hear the same bits in both parts.

Or do you view them as part 1 and part 2 when you say 2 songs?

It absolutely shares orchestration with the General but if Monsters is Soul Monster (and I believe it is) it was worked on during the same session with Beltrami in 2002. That long string arrangement that was played before CD on tour was long and epic enough to span 2 separate songs. It’s always just been thought of as only being for The General because that’s what the band told us but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t also used for Soul Monster. 

2 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I disagree, end is textbook Slash to me :shrugs:

Oh so they both do the solo at the end? I need to listen , again. Certain parts scream Slash to me

Yeah in the outro solo I hear Slash kick off the soloing but then for the last 30-40 seconds until the end I hear who I assume is Richard take over, you can hear the guitar tone go from the thick Les Paul tone to like a brighter and thinner tone.  I like it, gives Richard some time to shine and it kind of fits because Slash and Richard live have done plenty of solo trade-offs over these years (KOHD, Wish You Were Here, etc.)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I don't think we can have a definitive answer to this until the vinyl is out and we hear if there's a few seconds of silence in between the songs or not. If there is, that confirms to me that they're 2 songs. If they kind of flow into one another that would confirm it's just another section of the song. No other song ever has seamlessly transformed into a hidden track, the hidden track always had a break inbetween it and the song before.

It is definitely strange that they seem to be fully fleshed out songs with structure, yet they both seem to use the same orchestra. It's strange and I can't recall any other situation like this in music history and I'm quite a music obsessive.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

Well these tracks are splitting sooo many opinions, theories and thoughts.

Something they do that we can't deny though...

They break the theory that the only tracks with vocals are those early Locker Leaks tracks....plus also that the band is only gonna release what has leaked and save anything else to add to a new eventually album.

Now...do we think the hidden track was just that these are the 5....all the ones Duff and Slash have worked on....so cleaning and clearing out, as Richard put it recently in an interview....so that's them all? Or do we think Atlas and a couple of others have been worked on?

Since Slash's comments over a year ago...Do we think it's possible, due to the subsequent in studio shots, etc that they've worked on any more to flesh out a potential full EP release? I still think the fact we've seen Axl in the studio 3 times this year alone after nothing for a decade (visually) tells more of a story than we know yet...