THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

35 minutes ago, Its Tino said:

Isn’t it confined Monsters is not on the vinyl tho.

There's a photo of the back cover here a few pages back,  just shows sides with Perhaps & The General, no monsters

To be fair, we've the song as good as it'll get already...just enjoy it

53 minutes ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

Been a GN'R fan for 36 years, and I think "The General" is easily one of the ten worst songs the band has ever officially released. Seems like everyone's trying to polish a turd here, but that's what the song is: a turd.

Wasn't everyone kind of expecting something epic? Based on the urban legends of the song, it should have been something on a grand scale like Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir". Instead, we get a song that sounds distorted, with repetitive lyrics ( "don't know what to tell you now", over and over). We waited 25 years for THIS?

Just ditch the whole industrial rock/nu metal garbage, and go back to making rock and roll music.

To be fair, The General has yet to be officially released, it was only played live a few times. Also, if I were a betting man, I'm sure the older, CD-era mixes of the song were far better. I get what you are saying though, the song is a pretty basic few verses and a chorus song, and the leak we got has no notable guitars, even the orchestra is buried. I suppose the last ten seconds of guitar is intense, but it's NITL we're talking about here, the Bucket and/or Robin magic has been robbed from the song. :( 

Also, we all assumed The General (from what we heard at the Vienna party) was Soul Monster/Monsters, which I believe to be a far better song, and probably was amazing at that time. (NITL tends to knock down the CD-era songs a notch or two)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Perhaps died within a week. it had like 4m youtube views and trended. 2 months later it's barely changed and people moved on. that's throwing a song away.

Which is more than you could say for any non-single off Chinese Democracy. Why are you avoiding that point?

Also, you're describing how public attention works with literally everything. The same applies to singles off an album. They get a huge boost when they debut because of the buzz, and then attention slowly fades away. Why would a song being released together with other songs make somebody pay attention to it longer? You can chart the exact same phenomenon with album singles released on Youtube as music videos.

Chinese Democracy, the title track and lead single from CD, currently sits at 4 million views. That's a million less than Perhaps, despite that video being uploaded 5 years ago.

If that song was immediately followed by another then another then an album it wouldnt have.

Pure speculation. Unfalsifiable claim.

If you give people an album they move onto the next song on that album and the next etc, then they go back to the song they loved at first and the cycle continues.

And why can they not do this with the same songs released individually?

You release songs one every few years they fall off a cliff and you forget about the band. you have them in an album you're continually eating those M&Ms

How many times do I have to repeat myself?

"Again, the timing is not what I'm commenting on, purely the form of releasing as singles vs. an album."

"I repeat: "Obviously we'd all like them to do it faster, but that's another discussion." "

Christ, I'm quoting myself repeating myself... Are you even listening to a word I'm saying?

If you want to talk about how long it takes to release them, your argument falls apart even harder. It took 5 years to get a single song out of Axl post reunion. If you demand they only be released as an album, prepare to wait another 15 years. You're pretending it's a choice between a couple singles a year or an album right now. That is not reality. You can't complain about how long it takes the singles to come out and completely ignore how much longer an album takes.

Edited by evilfacelessturtle

It's not gonna be a hidden/bonus track, and it's really gonna suck if they just sit on it for a year, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happens. It's a shame, because it's by far the best NITL-era single we've heard so far.

The best thing they could do is release it on December 24, tweet something like 'this years tour was a fucking monster, thanks everyone' and capitalize on whatever hype still remains.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It's not gonna be a hidden/bonus track, and it's really gonna suck if they just sit on it for a year, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happens. It's a shame, because it's by far the best NITL-era single we've heard so far.

The best thing they could do is release it on December 24, tweet something like 'this years tour was a fucking monster, thanks everyone' and capitalize on whatever hype still remains.

You need to be their manager STAT. 

love that idea :headbang:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DSTK said:

There's a photo of the back cover here a few pages back,  just shows sides with Perhaps & The General, no monsters

To be fair, we've the song as good as it'll get already...just enjoy it

Well if it’s going to be a hidden track, of course it won’t be written on the back. Not saying it will be there, but the fact that it’s not on the back doesn’t mean anything.

16 minutes ago, Oliver77 said:

Well if it’s going to be a hidden track, of course it won’t be written on the back. Not saying it will be there, but the fact that it’s not on the back doesn’t mean anything.

The thing is the track had to come from somewhere, and its clearly duff  and slash on it.

So if its not from this source with the General, where did it come from, and what other songs with slash and duff are out there.

Atlas? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • PERHAPS 1

4 hours ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

Been a GN'R fan for 36 years, and I think "The General" is easily one of the ten worst songs the band has ever officially released. Seems like everyone's trying to polish a turd here, but that's what the song is: a turd.

Wasn't everyone kind of expecting something epic? Based on the urban legends of the song, it should have been something on a grand scale like Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir". Instead, we get a song that sounds distorted, with repetitive lyrics ( "don't know what to tell you now", over and over). We waited 25 years for THIS?

Just ditch the whole industrial rock/nu metal garbage, and go back to making rock and roll music.

🤣 I disagree that it's a turd, but I totally understand your sentiments.

1 hour ago, gnfnr2k said:

The thing is the track had to come from somewhere, and its clearly duff  and slash on it.

So if its not from this source with the General, where did it come from, and what other songs with slash and duff are out there.

Atlas? 

This. Such a mystery for it to be on the internet somehow, along with the General.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oliver77 said:

Hidden track.....have a day off 

7 hours ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

You're not wrong...I listened to it a couple of times when it leaked and have no desire to listen again soon.

If only they would write NEW music like any other band.

Eh I like distorted vocals and I never minded repeated verses.  Always was weird to me that someone would complain when a verse repeats but not a chorus.  Also I enjoy industrial rock and nu metal so to each their own.

I do agree that the general isn't some epic track on the level of Estranged or November Rain but I think it's a good song regardless 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Sweersa said:

To be fair, The General has yet to be officially released, it was only played live a few times. Also, if I were a betting man, I'm sure the older, CD-era mixes of the song were far better. I get what you are saying though, the song is a pretty basic few verses and a chorus song, and the leak we got has no notable guitars, even the orchestra is buried. I suppose the last ten seconds of guitar is intense, but it's NITL we're talking about here, the Bucket and/or Robin magic has been robbed from the song. :( 

Also, we all assumed The General (from what we heard at the Vienna party) was Soul Monster/Monsters, which I believe to be a far better song, and probably was amazing at that time. (NITL tends to knock down the CD-era songs a notch or two)

Sure. Axl is ok with "knocking" the songs down. Maybe you don't like them in their final form, but I find it impossible to believe he would be ok with "lesser" versions being the released ones.

I’m a Guns N’ Roses fan since 1988 and I think it’s a good song. I don’t expect for another November Rain or Estranged. It’s something dark and this is what I expect from it

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, gavgnr said:

I get that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but personally I love The General. 

The final holy grail for me with this band is hearing a studio version of Monsters with Bucket and Finck.

I personally love  this version with Slash & Duff of Monsters and I think is top 3 best songs released since the Iliusions, but I have no doubt that the Bucket and Finck versión is superior, only hearing the cellphone clip that guitars sound far superior and amazing

• Like 1

7 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

1. Chinese Democracy, the title track and lead single from CD, currently sits at 4 million views. That's a million less than Perhaps, despite that video being uploaded 5 years ago.

2. Christ, I'm quoting myself repeating myself... Are you even listening to a word I'm saying?

If you want to talk about how long it takes to release them, your argument falls apart even harder. It took 5 years to get a single song out of Axl post reunion. If you demand they only be released as an album, prepare to wait another 15 years. You're pretending it's a choice between a couple singles a year or an album right now. That is not reality. You can't complain about how long it takes the singles to come out and completely ignore how much longer an album takes.

1. They never got a release video, and they sold over 3 million records. comparing a 2008 non video full album release song to a youtube and streaming only release is your first sign of mass ignorance. I've never listened to those songs on youtube ever. why would I? ive spun them several hundred times each on the cd i bought. extrapolate that by the millions of sales. They have no music video. YouTube is a visual mean. 

2. I tried, but most of what you are saying is complete nonsense. you've said it'd be pretending to be a choice between singles and an album. Why is that pretend? We know a full album was ready in 2010. We know it was again ready around 2015. So there is a full album ready. We know slash and duff were given songs to play on 4 years ago. not last week. Whether they only did 6/7 is neither here nor there. There was/is an albums worth of completed material, maybe even 2. So yes it is a choice between a couple singles every couple of years and an album. And they have chosen the dumbest lamest option. 

Ignore how long an album takes? Does it take 24 years? this is the dumbest comment ive seen in a while. Slash and duff whip up a fully serviceable album in a couple months. Like every other band in history. I know how long an album takes to make, and if your argument is it takes as long as Axl rose takes to make an album then you're living in the stars. Maybe your english isn't great and you didn't mean make, you meant takes to release. again that would also be a few months. Let's be realllllllllly stupidly generous and say a whole year (it doesn't for anyone else). Slash and duff recorded in 2019/20. first singles dropped 2021, we're about to hit 2024.... hmmm something about what you're saying just doesnt quite add up. Still nice try at sucking up to the band. They are lame as fuck. accept it and move on. 

• Like 1