THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

3 minutes ago, Ninjapie24 said:

General is just middle of the road and nothing special. Disappointed that Monsters was not released at the same time since it is one of the best songs in the CD era 

pretty much. I hadn't heard the leaked version of The General and was looking forward to hearing the official mix and having heard it I am terribly disappointed. I don't get it at all . What is that melody? I do have the leaked version of Monsters. Those two songs are poles apart.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AxlRQ93 said:

TSI has an amazing mix. the drums sound great, slash sounds perfect, and it’s raw and loud. Price did a good job but also Mike Clink I think was a lot more responsible for the guns sound than many give him credit. Yes Izzy and Steven were important but I think clink was too. 

Hair of the dog is one of my favorite covers ever. Ain't It Fun as well

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, agustingloger said:

I hope they release Monsters soon.. Monsters is better than The general Perhaps and Absurd togheter. I know HS gets a lot of hate here but i love that song 

Agreed ! HS gets so much hate , I feel like it wasn’t so hated a year ago the way it is now. HS rocks! Def one of the best tracks from the village sessions by FAR

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JAxlMorrison said:

I’m really happy with the song. It rocks, it pushes their catalog/style further, nice guitar work, & Axl dug deep into some old pain to write the lyrics…I mean isn’t that what Guns N Roses is?

Song is great. Especially when it gets to the middle and the orchestrated part takes over. And then Axl comes in with the bridge.  Slash's playing is so good.

I understand why a lot of old heads probably don't but I love the distorted vocals.  

Just a real great track 

• Like 4

The level of peak limiting on the drums is bad enough.  To make matters worse, it sounds like instead of making everything skull crushingly loud, as is what usually happens in these cases, they may have shaved all of the peaks off of the audio and then lowered the overall volume.  That "shaving" actually distorts the source file and creates that audible clicking sound, while the lowered output volume just makes everything lack dynamics and sound dull.

As for something positive...the mix is cleaner, and the guitars & bass sound pretty good, but, again, the whole drum track sounds like they've had sample hits replace everything (I'm not talking about the drum machine used in the verses).   The shift from verse to chorus should open up like Bonham and drive the song, but, it all sounds so processed and artificial, smearing everything into the same grey murk.

All in all, a pretty disappointing presentation, in my opinion.

Edited by oneway23