THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

Did I miss someone mention this? On the Youtube version theres a note under the song that says this: 

Music video by Guns N' Roses performing The General (Audio). © 2023 Guns N' Roses, under exclusive license to Geffen Records

Then theres a link to Vevo. Wonder if a video is coming.

14 minutes ago, MJRoses23 said:

Did I miss someone mention this? On the Youtube version theres a note under the song that says this: 

Music video by Guns N' Roses performing The General (Audio). © 2023 Guns N' Roses, under exclusive license to Geffen Records

so does the hard skool audio video video

What the fucks with the popping? How did that get past them? 

That might have been the reason they delayed the release, fixed it, and then some dingbat went and sent the wrong version to streaming.

I don't care about artistic choices, they should do whatever they want, but this is bollocks.

19 minutes ago, MJRoses23 said:

Don't get your hopes up.

13 minutes ago, Rovim said:

you said something silly....again cause you don't seem to understand that there is no person in the world that is qualified or able to decide objectively on which are the best Gn'R tunes. Hype is not relevant. Music is just expression of emotion, like art. 

for example, Rolling Stone magazine was of the opinion that Led Zeppelin was shit at first. Many people disagree. It doesn't mean anything cause the listener and how he perceives the music is also a factor which makes music subjective. 

believe it or not, your opinion is just your opinion.

I’ll tell ya what - silly or not - I’ll be in a team meeting with 40+ people who I work with. We all love gnr, work in the music biz, and promote/book/see THOUSANDS of shows a year collectively. We also receive THOUSANDS of band submissions a year of artists trying yj break in.

you may say that’s a small sample, or too specific, or whatever, but that’s a room of 40+ people whose literal job is to promote music. Would you care for the feedback/opinions on this track? We did it for perhaps via Zoom call and I’d say it was like 40/60 of “it’s an ok song” vs “I’ll pass” but a 100% agreement that if this was the submitted work in order to get on a bill, we’d never book that artist. But gnr would get away with it. I mean it’s comical. And no one liked the other songs that were released. Also opinions, but to me that is subjective.

anyway, if you like it and others do as well that’s GREAT. If you want to spend money on it that’s your business. I just think it’s absolutely hysterical that this is the best that gnr could do.. a copy/paste job over a 20+yr project? Meh, good for you I guess. 

• Like 2

Review of the vinyl:

Packaging - 3/10. Boring front cover and print quality even worse. It’s a poor resolution cheap job. Paper inserts as well (although that’s fairly standard for 7”).

Song - 8/10. Not GnR’s best song but up there. Love the angry vibes of the chords in the chorus. 

Production - 4/10. A good song doesn’t make a good song, if you know what I mean. This could have been a 10/10 epic but just feels rushed and copied and pasted in the studio. The mixing is poor, I have decided I don’t really like the drum loops, and there’s just not a lot of thought gone into it. The intro could have been longer, the outro should have been extended to let slash shine more, and the dynamics need a bit of work. 

Mastering - 2/10. On my reasonably decent hifi set up it sounds like a muddy mess. I was listening to Johnny Winter from 40 years ago earlier and that sounds far better.

12 minutes ago, Rovim said:

again with the team meetings and tales of your wondrful career how impressive. Look... it's not about you, I'm not trying to be a dick here, just trying to explain to you that your opinion is just that, your opinion and nothing more. You do your thing, but it's just subjective shit we're talking about here. 

your extensive personal experience in "the biz" doesn't make you less wrong, that's just a fact. I mean no offense.

Not taking it as an offense.. opinions are opinions afterall. Good chat! Have a great day. 

@Rovim also i wanted to say that i only provide the inner workings of stuff i know, work wise that is. In the past people have been curious about how things work but honestly, I dont care one way or another. But I’ll certainly stop sharing. Certainly didn’t mean to offend either.

Edited by IzzysMissy

Usually when GNR post something on their socials, whether it be sub-par live Axl vocals, or a rare new song, the comments section is relatively positive from the casual fan base. Most of the comments on Instagram are people saying that the song sucks. Not good. I actually like the general, but I can totally see how fans don’t.

12 minutes ago, noonoo said:

The clipping kickdrum is really annoying. Mixing and Mastering were way better on Perhaps.

It ruins the song for me. I don't understand how that's the version that got released. The clipping is obvious to anyone with ears and it's a piece of piss to fix.

17 minutes ago, Bloodyhell81 said:

The song Was garbage a month ago and is still garbage now. Gnr are a touring band and that's it..   musically impotent is pretty spot on.  Had 6 years to come up with new ideas and nadda. Says everything u need to know

Have you just realised they're a touring band? Everyone else realised in 2002

5 hours ago, DSTK said:

Same here, nobody's telling me i Don't like it ...people crying about monsters not being released as a 'hidden single' ...what's stopping you listening to what was leaked? Sounds a finished track to me 

Enjoy them or don't play them, it ain't difficult...even some simpletons on reddit understand 

I just wish the sound quality was better on Monsters. Which would happen with an official release, like The General.

5 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

Far be it from me to begrudge someone their subjective opinion, but, I suspect that the folks who think this is an amazing track might want to consider diversifying their music listening.

You're so much better than everyone who likes the track, for sure! 

• Like 1
  • PERHAPS 1