THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

6 minutes ago, bmus1 said:

The General and Monsters will probably be next to each other sequentially if we ever get a release with all of these songs on it. That's as far as their connection goes.

If they do a compilation album of all the singles, or whatever I hope they at least remaster them to sound better next to one another. So far Perhaps seems to be the only one suitably mixed for an album. 

14 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

If they do a compilation album of all the singles, or whatever I hope they at least remaster them to sound better next to one another. So far Perhaps seems to be the only one suitably mixed for an album. 

Imo Absurd sounds a lot better than Perhaps, being the only track without clipping issues along with Hardskool

17 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Agreed. Perhaps was mixed by Joe Barresi, but everything else was mixed by Caram and it does the music no favors. I like to think they had Barresi do remixes of the other singles (HS/Absurd/TG) that they haven't released yet.

That being said I don't think Perhaps is great by any means, but I 100% agree that it's the only one that sounds like an album mix. The other singles sound like reference mixes that were mastered to brickwalled standards.

Edited by bmus1
  • Like 1

I understand the flat and without dynamics mixing of Hard Skool and The General (vinyl sounds great tho), but for the life of me, can't hear the clipping if someone can point out exactly what should I listen of focus to :facepalm:

3 minutes ago, NachoLZ said:

I understand the flat and without dynamics mixing of Hard Skool and The General (vinyl sounds great tho), but for the life of me, can't hear the clipping if someone can point out exactly what should I listen of focus to :facepalm:

Same here. I am such a novice in these matters but clearly feel the mixing could be a lot better in general, to make it sound more dynamic and punchy, more cohesive. But the clipping fortunately keeps on escaping me. May it last :lol:

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, NachoLZ said:

Hard Skool might be the least distorted out of the singles, it's just doesn't have any life to it between the thin guitars and overcompressed/possibly programmed drums. The General clips on over half of the kick drum hits in the choruses and outro, but if you can ignore that doesn't get too bad otherwise. The kick drum clipping is really bad though.

Perhaps clips out a lot, probably more "traditional" loudness war clipping than any of the other singles. But just feels more finished as a mix so I still prefer it even with that. You can hear it a lot during any tom fills like at 1:51 and 1:59; if you listen with headphones, everything gets saturated for a second when the drum fills happen.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bmus1 said:

Agreed. Perhaps was mixed by Joe Barresi, but everything else was mixed by Caram and it does the music no favors. I like to think they had Barresi do remixes of the other singles (HS/Absurd/TG) that they haven't released yet.

That being said I don't think Perhaps is great by any means, but I 100% agree that it's the only one that sounds like an album mix. The other singles sound like reference mixes that were mastered to brickwalled standards.

Everyone on this site needs to get a life! <3

3 minutes ago, angelsecrets said:

Everyone on this site needs to get a life! <3

Maaan it's not like I'm hyperanalyzing these songs 100 times over lol. I mix music and audio for a living. I just hear this shit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BreakDown2014 said:

Imo Absurd sounds a lot better than Perhaps, being the only track without clipping issues along with Hardskool

I didn't notice any clipping in Perhaps. I would be surprised if Bob Ludwig would tolerate such a shit mix with clipping before he masters it, but I could be wrong. 

3 hours ago, Appetitefordiscussion said:

Anyone else enjoy The General more than Monsters? 

me since day one, It's probably well documented on this forum.

it's deeper and hits you in the gut, that's why. but Monsters will be a great song too, the quality
of the recent stuff amazed me, compares to some songs on Chinese, which have not aged very well. 

I'm still confused about the CD tracking list, I probably would have made different choices.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Appetitefordiscussion said:

I think I've always enjoyed it more. I don't think that either song is particularly great. I prefer the chorus of The General and the overall vibe, but I think the verses of Monsters are slightly better than The General. To be honest, it's been a while since I listened to either, but on balance, I remember enjoying The General more.

• Like 1

In my opinion The General has the better chorus and this damn hot outro solo, even if it‘s too short.
Monsters has better verses and this freaking awesome bridge, the best I’ve heard Axl in a very long time. A nice outro solo as well. 
I think Monsters is the better song overall but The General includes Slash’s best reunion solo.

• Like 1

I'm sure it's probably just me, but the more I've listened to Monsters, the more I keep hearing parralels to Bring It Back Home instrumentally.

Logically I know the song was written by nuGuns, and they likely weren't drawing inspiration from old, unreleased classic Guns demos; but I can't help but hear how similar of a groove it has to me. Then again, who's to say how the song sounded prior to Slash & Duff re-recording it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Appetitefordiscussion said:

Me. But I've barely listened to Monsters. Whenever I hear The General or even just think of the song, it's stuck in my head.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

In my opinion The General has the better chorus and this damn hot outro solo, even if it‘s too short.
Monsters has better verses and this freaking awesome bridge, the best I’ve heard Axl in a very long time. A nice outro solo as well. 
I think Monsters is the better song overall but The General includes Slash’s best reunion solo.

I agree. Overall I like Monsters a lot more over The General. Aside from poor production on both songs (especially The General), my main gripe with Monsters (aside from it not being a CD-era mix with Buckethead, of course) is the chorus seems to occur too quickly in the song. In other words, I wish the verses were a little longer. It almost feels rushed. But, that's me being nitpicky and probably comes from me expecting Soul Monster was a longer song that it actually was. 

I wonder if they have any longer songs (~6 minutes or longer) left in the can. Like the Sorry, Prostitute or There Was A Time of CD2 from a song length standpoint. 

Most, if not all the CD2 stuff we got (leaked or released) with vocals are around 4 minutes. 

Edited by Sweersa

2 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I agree. Overall I like Monsters a lot more over The General. Aside from poor production on both songs (especially The General), my main gripe with Monsters (aside from it not being a CD-era mix with Buckethead, of course) is the chorus seems to occur too quickly in the song. In other words, I wish the verses were a little longer. It almost feels rushed. But, that's me being nitpicky and probably comes from me expecting Soul Monster was a longer song that it actually was. 

I wonder if they have any longer songs (~6 minutes or longer) left in the can. Like the Sorry, Prostitute or There Was A Time of CD2 from a song length standpoint. 

Most, if not all the CD2 stuff we got (leaked or released) with vocals are around 4 minutes. 

Elvis is nearly 6 minutes. Dummy is over 6 minutes but that seems more like an outline/idea than a song.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, siraddam said:

They compare the song to If The World which I find bizarre.

Some real inaccuracies in there, they claim Down On The Farm was only played live once. They use fan artwork for Shacklers Revenge. They get the timeline on Blind Melon existing wrong lol & probably more

Edited by Rindmelon

35 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Some songs started shorter however. CD had the pointless intro and the guitar intro lengthened and of course Buckets solo added. IRS had the second solo, TWAT was stretched with Buckets solo. Riad had the intro added. 

It's hard to guess as we've got so little to go on. Seven or Thyme might've been epics, but then might have been reworked back into 4 minute tracks. The General might have been longer at one point. Who knows. 

• Like 1