THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

1 minute ago, Lies They Tell said:

Perhaps you're right! Another thing that confuses me is why the GNR camp said that the most used intro in 2006 was The General. Why didn't they mention Monsters or Soulmonster or Leave Me Alone or what ever it was called back then. I'd say that the bigger part of the intro was actually Monsters. Not The General.

Well, I don't expect anyone here to have the answers. It's just confusing. The reason why we thought that the cellphone clip was The General was because the GNR camp confirmed that the orchestral intro was The General. Now we know that only the first part of the intro was The General.

Things change, GNR had so many members back then im sure everyone threw their ideas here and there so it all got mixed up

48 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Why do people think it's Soul Monster and not Monstrocity?

Is Soul Monster not the song that Axl described as 'our most Black Sabbath moment'? That's a lot closer to Me & My Elvis than Monsters...

Axl seemed to be referring to his vocals and I think the melody in the high-pitched sream-y part fits the description. Then there's the Marco Beltrami orchestration. And, I don't know, in my mind the lyrics to Monsters are more fitting to Soul Monster than to Monstrocity.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Perhaps you're right! Another thing that confuses me is why the GNR camp said that the most used intro in 2006 was The General. Why didn't they mention Monsters or Soulmonster or Leave Me Alone or what ever it was called back then. I'd say that the bigger part of the intro was actually Monsters. Not The General.

Well, I don't expect anyone here to have the answers. It's just confusing. The reason why we thought that the cellphone clip was The General was because the GNR camp confirmed that the orchestral intro was The General. Now we know that only the first part of the intro was The General.

That instrumental is all over The General too, just different parts. 

I LOVED Axls lyrics on State of Grace. More general lyrics about human beings and the corruption and emotions we see and feel. The General misses the mark with me… the daddy lyrics just miss the mark for me. What, did Axl re hash some lyrics from ‘Daddy, Can The Devil Do Mommy and Me?’ And Monsters is just the same old shit as hard school. We were a pair, we broke up, it was all your fault.. just fucking lame. 

10 minutes ago, Underhardy said:

This just further confirms that Axl should’ve in fact written another appetite. These songs and all of the shitty tacky vocal effects are not good. This is why Axl was told he has 2 to 3 good songs.. can hardly make out half of the vocals. I finally understand why these songs were shelved for decades. 

I'd take stuff like this over appetite part 2 any day. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, Underhardy said:

I LOVED Axls lyrics on State of Grace. More general lyrics about human beings and the corruption and emotions we see and feel. The General misses the mark with me… the daddy lyrics just miss the mark for me. What, did Axl re hash some lyrics from ‘Daddy, Can The Devil Do Mommy and Me?’ And Monsters is just the same old shit as hard school. We were a pair, we broke up, it was all your fault.. just fucking lame. 

It's about him/or someone being abused by his "daddy", it's nothing to with "we were a pair, we broke up, it was all your fault".

Just now, Underhardy said:

I was talking about Monsters. I know the subject matter, songs suck bud

It's clearly the same song, or a companion song, it has the same orchestra and is legally registered as one song. One might assume it's about the same subject matter, perhaps from a different perspective?

Sorry you don't like it! I was disappointed with Hard Skool and to a lesser extent Perhaps, but this is my cup of tea.

2 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

Is it weird that I don't really care that much for either song on it's own but absolutely love them together lol

Well I feel the same way. If that's weird then I'm weird too. The General sounds a lot like how I always imagined the beginning of The General to sound like. And Monsters sounds like I imagined the ending of The General to sound like.

Together they sound like everything that I wanted from The General. As separate songs they're not as great.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, D.. said:

I will update my original post with a full review later, but again, I LOVE those two tracks.

I didn't expect two tracks, I didn't expect The General to be this great, and both songs match my vibes perfectly. It's exactly what I needed.

It's definitely some of the best Guns material from CD. Axl is a fucking genius.

Those two songs are deeper and more personal than most Gn'R songs. I'm sure Axl was hesitating releasing either, it's too personal, hence the vinyl's release push.

Man if he knew how talented he was. I haven't followed him all along for nothing.

And really huge kudos to Slash on those tracks. I have criticized him a lot since 2016 regarding his takes on CD material, but his guitar work is absolutely gorgeous here.

I really hope they release both songs asap, I will buy them right away on several formats. Definitely deserve the money.

Good post, I think this is what a lot of us expected and hoped for from the unreleased CD material. I hope we get State of Grace now in a similar vein.

• Like 1