THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

Monsters is growing on me, I was disappointed at first but I was just thrown off by how different the chorus sounded compared to what I was expecting. I really love The General and am baffled everyone seems to hate it. Besides Axl's voice being somewhat difficult to make out at points and the hip hop interlude the song is fantastic.

• Like 1

The General is somewhat disappointing and seems to be more like a demo to me but I'll be damned if Monsters isn't fucking FANTASTIC. That is honestly what I wanted from Guns N' Roses in the new millennium. This is the big gun for me. God damn. 

• janrichmond changed the title to THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS
11 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

No, but the early instrumental demo is likely Me & My Elvis. I only mentioned it because it's one of the few songs we know has vocals.

Thought not. Vocals or not, considering we don't know for certain what it sounds like, it seems odd to say it should have been released over stuff that we actually know about.

24 minutes ago, Spike Killer said:

I've listen to the combined two tracks several times.  Does this put to rest the idea that the Germany 2006 pre-tape is the General?  Or is there a section from that still in the song that I'm not remembering/hearing?

The 2006 intro is in both songs

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, axljungle said:

I only could hear The General, I miss heard more time the orchestral part, as an intro or as a bridge. Love the 2006 shows intro.

Monsters couldn't hear it, I don't know if it's more rocker.

There's another version kicking about, maybe spruced up by a fan, but it sounds way better and you can clearly hear the orchestra. 

5 minutes ago, default_ said:

Ive listened to it twice, gotta listen a little more to it but… are we sure this is a re-recorded version by Slash and Duff?

It sounds like Slash … and I can’t see how it would be an earlier version that suddenly materializes. Best explanation is before they trashed the low quality vinyl pressings, someone ripped the songs.

I’m baffled by people here who won’t even give it a chance. The one dude who said he couldn’t even finish the song … how can you honestly even call yourself a fan? No one is forcing you to like it though.

Also … about people saying it’s muddied or a bad mix. Yes, guys! This isn’t a leak of the master recording or anything. We have no idea how it leaked and where they got it.

2 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

Thought not. Vocals or not, considering we don't know for certain what it sounds like, it seems odd to say it should have been released over stuff that we actually know about.

What else do we actually know about though? Of the songs in the CD2 email the only instrumental we know for sure we've heard is Tonto, so I guess I could've said that. Nothing probably sounded much different by 2008 and Eye On You was likely abandoned long before then.

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

If I were to guess, I'd say that they started as two different tracks (and I believe that "Monsters" is most likely "Soul Monster") and by 2010 they were merged into one, two-part song.

Why do people think it's Soul Monster and not Monstrocity?

Is Soul Monster not the song that Axl described as 'our most Black Sabbath moment'? That's a lot closer to Me & My Elvis than Monsters...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Why do people think it's Soul Monster and not Monstrocity?

Is Soul Monster not the song that Axl described as 'our most Black Sabbath moment'? That's a lot closer to Me & My Elvis than Monsters...

Really? I think Axl sounds a bit like Ozzy with the low notes in Monsters!

9 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

If I were to guess, I'd say that they started as two different tracks (and I believe that "Monsters" is most likely "Soul Monster") and by 2010 they were merged into one, two-part song.

Exactly what I'm thinking. Which means

1) Between this and stuffs like reworking Silkworm Axl been more active in studio since 2010 than we probably thought (which for me is more massive)

2) What leaks are Nu Guns rough mix

Edited by Agattuso
  • Like 1