THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

Just now, uzi your illusion said:

I think Monsters is amazing from the first listen. I'm getting there on General but my issue with it is how hard it is to make out the vocals. So if it's an unmastered/demo version it would be unfair to judge. 

Really enjoy what I can make out though. 

What version are you listening to? There is a tinkered with version that's a lot clearer.

2 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Axl's vocals in the second half of Monsters... damn I never thought anything could top the amazing screams in There Was a Time when it comes to Chinese Democracy vocal moments but this may be my new favorite Axl moment since the 90s on record

Amen. Absolutely loving the vocals on Monsters.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

They should release this on streaming services ASAP and not let the track(s) be judged by poor quality leaks.

This. People keep judging how the vocals are hard to hear, but that seems to be a side effect of compression and/or how they captured the audio. Also, this one has clipping in the heaviest parts, a digital copy wouldn't have it this way. 

My bet is that someone recorded audio from a turntable or even being played on the computer. Meaning it's not an exact copy.

• Like 2

The General's lyrics certainly themed around abuse, I am curious does anyone remember how specifically it was already known that The General in particular was about child abuse?  I can't remember exactly how that came to light before we knew the lyrics themselves from today

• GNFNR 1

Just now, WhazUp said:

The General's lyrics certainly themed around abuse, I am curious does anyone remember how specifically it was already known that The General in particular was about child abuse?  I can't remember exactly how that came to light before we knew the lyrics themselves from today

I don't think it was confirmed as the general but Axl said in an interview in 2001 that he wrote a song about child abuse 

• Like 1

Just now, WhazUp said:

In a 2001 press release from the Rock in Rio promoter, it was said that one of the unreleased songs centered around child abuse. Pretty sure that’s the only thing concrete. Through process of elimination, rumors began that the song referred was The General

40 minutes ago, Underhardy said:

This just further confirms that Axl should’ve in fact written another appetite. These songs and all of the shitty tacky vocal effects are not good. This is why Axl was told he has 2 to 3 good songs.. can hardly make out half of the vocals. I finally understand why these songs were shelved for decades. 

Yeah I agree, the general public wouldn't be that into these songs either.

10 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

They should release this on streaming services ASAP and not let the track(s) be judged by poor quality leaks.

That's why I'm going to reserve judgement until they're out on streaming and I can listen for real.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kingcanyon said:

I don't think it was confirmed as the general but Axl said in an interview in 2001 that he wrote a song about child abuse 

4 minutes ago, Underhardy said:

In a 2001 press release from the Rock in Rio promoter, it was said that one of the unreleased songs centered around child abuse. Pretty sure that’s the only thing concrete. Through process of elimination, rumors began that the song referred was The General

Thanks guys for the replies!  I found an article from 2001 (from here) that also has this:

"He admitted not feeling happy with the show last night, and gave some details of the new album: he already has 36 songs practically ready (one dedicated to John Lennon, another about child abuse), and there is a possibility that the album is double , in the style of Use your illusion, one of the compacts would be named after Chinese Democracy and the other would be called PRL"

Edited by WhazUp

1 minute ago, Voodoochild said:

For people saying it's not Slash in The General's ending, that's 100% him. Not only it's his tone, but also he plays fast all the time live, and those licks sound nothing like Bucket's style. 

Given your knowledge of music, if you feel so strongly about that then I’ll trust you.

I didn’t know if it was Fortus possibly

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

For people saying it's not Slash in The General's ending, that's 100% him. Not only it's his tone, but also he plays fast all the time live, and those licks sound nothing like Bucket's style. 

Slash all the way. Those licks are almost certainly him. 

• Like 2